What to do if you are caught without insurance. | GTAMotorcycle.com

What to do if you are caught without insurance.

asennad

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I was killing time waiting for a friend to get off work recently so I headed over to Old City Hall and sat in on some traffic cases.

Guy gets stopped by a cop and is unable to provide proof of insurance but must have told the cop he had insurance and would fax proof of it to avoid being heaver charges.

Well the guy goes home calls his broker and asks for insurance – and they provide him an insurance card that day which he faxes to the cop. The cop noted that the insurance card is dated the same day the guy was stopped and charges the guy for not having insurance.

In court the prosecutor calls the insurance broker who testifies that yes that is the card that their company created but can’t tell what time of day the application for insurance was made. I say application because the guy never actually follows through and pays for any insurance. The prosecutor ends up withdrawing the charges because the broker can’t say for sure if the insurance policy was made before the traffic stop had occurred.

Kicker is the guy who had been charged never showed up in court and had no representation there either.

Clarification: When I walked into the court room the prosecutor turned and asked me if I was the defendant. I said no and sat down. I missed the first few minutes of the case. I didn't see anyone talk on behalf of the defendant.

Also I said that they called the insurance broker to testify. Thinking about it now it was actually a representative from the insurance company they had. The case fell apart because no one from the brokerage was there and that was who had arranged the insurance.

Last edited:
That sounds a lot like fraud, doesn't it?

Insurance ? Yeah it IS. Especially since you pay through the teeth, and then get into an accident thats not your fault, and your not covered! It was a real shock to me how if I get injured while riding, and the other guy flee's the scene, no one will compensate me.

Especially since the class of vehicle doesn't even matter its still a min 200k liability.

Last edited:
i call b.s.

dude's "first" post.

the first thing that happens at a trial is roll call, if either party is there, then the case is not contested, let alone get to testifying.

Eh, from what I've seen of traffic court, I could see it happening. The cop brought up the new charge over the paperwork he received. But he failed to actually prove that if it was from after the incident. I could see them just following through with the initial failure to provide proof ticket without the defendant, but I'd like to think they'd have to bring in the defendant if they want to throw on new charges.

If you are riding without insurance just ride around with your backpack/tailbag unzipped. :lol:

If you are riding without insurance just ride around with your backpack/tailbag unzipped. :lol:

Nice!
Combined with a little acting, this could get you out of a lot more too.

Back
Top Bottom