What killed my GS (not unstoppable after all) | GTAMotorcycle.com

What killed my GS (not unstoppable after all)

adri

Site Supporter
A couple months ago my G650GS cut out while I was riding and left me stranded. No power to anything whatsoever. It was as if someone disconnected the battery or a main fuse burst.

Naturally I checked the fuses (all good), checked the connection at the terminals (tight, clean), checked the voltage (12.7 volts). I was more baffled than a Euro 5 exhaust.

I was suspicious of a few things. I found some corrosion in my fuse box (wtf is that about?). Prime suspect was a no-name brand, no website, LED headlight unit that from parts unknown/China I had installed just two weeks earlier. Here's the story:

My takeaways:

- Lithium batteries don't work the same way lead acid batteries do (higher voltage)
- A cheap multimeter is a great investment
- Can't blame this one on China. Well, actually...
- Don't be afraid to contact the manufacturer
- Never stop learning

When in doubt return to stock then start isolating the changes one by one.
I've done it, we've all done it - created problems where there weren't any via modification.

When in doubt return to stock then start isolating the changes one by one.
I've done it, we've all done it - created problems where there weren't any via modification.
I'm braindead tired from breaking ice right now, but I think in one of my last couple videos I quoted you!
"Universal = one size fits all, one size fits none"

Back on topic, yup you're right. Hopefully the replacement I got under warranty won't leave me in the same situation!

I'm braindead tired from breaking ice right now, but I think in one of my last couple videos I quoted you!
"Universal = one size fits all, one size fits none"

Back on topic, yup you're right. Hopefully the replacement I got under warranty won't leave me in the same situation!
Sometimes there's a reason the factory does things the way they do.
Goodness knows, I've had to undo some of my 'improvements' (LOL).

So why did your BMW stop? Did you try and use a turn indicator?

So why did your BMW stop? Did you try and use a turn indicator?
lol no, can't afford a non domestic. All my money goes to bikes. Settled on a replacement lithium battery that sat at 13.3 volts at rest and didn't have a sub par capacitor in it... so they tell me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom