What is this sound? (05 fz6) | GTAMotorcycle.com

What is this sound? (05 fz6)

bigpoppa

Bike is almost ready, i've done the following to it over the past several months:
-replace head bearings
-rebuild forks
-replace wheel bearings
-rebuild brake calipers
- added new galfer steel braided lines
- new brake pads

im almost ready to go, bled the brake lines today, doing initial testing to make sure everything is good, decide to roll it back and forward today and hear this noise:

It only happens at certain points of the forward rotation, never happens while moving backwards, seems to have nothing to do with brakes, if I use no brake it happens, if I use brakes it still happens, but as you can see, once the bike is past a certain point in the forward motion, the noise goes away.

I wasnt sure where the noise was coming from as its harder to tell if your on the bike, brought the wife over, she confirmed its coming from the front(wheel)

Initially I thought maybe its the chain, so I cleaned and lubed it, didnt help

help!

The ghost of christmas past dragging chains across a squeaky wood floor :|

Sounds awful, did you put the long bolt in the short brake hole. elevate the front wheel and give just that a spin.

Engine main bearings. Pull the motor.

You replaced the wheel bearings, so I would remove the brake callipers and then spin the wheel, that will remove brakes from the equation and you know you have a problem with the wheel bearings and spacers. If no joy put one brake on at a time :| but don't pump the brakes without something between the pads

well that was interesting, brought the front wheel up, and spun it and the noise was gone, brought it back down and moved it, after a few revolutions the noise was back...im thinking its just the new brake pads

That's a nasty sounding brake, run the pad across a piece of sand paper or emery laid on a flat surface and try again.

Does the disc appear to be right in the centre of the slot in the calliper? If that can touch it does make a sound like that.

Did you need to pry the fork legs apart when you put the front wheel on?
That could do it, if for instance you didn't get the wheel bearing completely seated, the brakes can't tolerate any misalignment at all in the lower fork legs.

took the calipers off, sound went away completely def the pads

Back
Top Bottom