What is the most you would pay for insurance? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What is the most you would pay for insurance?

So my ex's hubby just got his course done, has an M2 and has purchased a new Honda rebel - quote was 500 bones a month. Kinda discouraging for the industry in general; I totally get the super high rates on the riskiest scenarios, but man. I wonder how the overall motorcycle business up here will sustain later on as new riders have that much trouble getting started. FWIW, this guy is in his 40's, clean record, etc. This is for a 300cc cruiser. Makes me appreciate being old and owning a KLR, lol

So my ex's hubby just got his course done, has an M2 and has purchased a new Honda rebel - quote was 500 bones a month. Kinda discouraging for the industry in general; I totally get the super high rates on the riskiest scenarios, but man. I wonder how the overall motorcycle business up here will sustain later on as new riders have that much trouble getting started. FWIW, this guy is in his 40's, clean record, etc. This is for a 300cc cruiser. Makes me appreciate being old and owning a KLR, lol
Wtf 500 a month for a Rebel 300 or 500 ? Someone I know, also in his 40s just bought a rebel 300 (M2, first bike). He's paying around $800 a year with Wawanessa. Located in Markham.

You buddy hasnt shopped around. Go to the riders plus website. He will likely pay under $100 a month, unless he is in Brampton.

You buddy hasnt shopped around. Go to the riders plus website. He will likely pay under $100 a month, unless he is in Brampton.

Yeah I gave him a list of Brokers to try. He's in Hamilton, dirty little brother to Brampton in the insurance world

+1, I have a CB300, I'm 25, first year riding, and pay $1200/yr with 1 ticket. Insured with echelon in downtown Toronto.

Some people are quoting Full coverage insurance for 1 vehicle and others are buying minimal coverage insurance and bundling additional vehicles or homes, that makes a big difference when everybody is quoting their bottom line $
500 per month :/ that's a 6 grand annual expenditure in the real world, on a 6 grand toy and you haven't even paid to put gas in it yet, in a country with socialized health care :/ that's !@#$%^ outrageous. That one better be full coverage on a solo vehicle.

You know what's really sad; I seen more motorcycles for sale on peoples front yards lately then riding on the road.
... I think that's your answer to how much is too much.

Some people are quoting Full coverage insurance for 1 vehicle and others are buying minimal coverage insurance and bundling additional vehicles or homes, that makes a big difference when everybody is quoting their bottom line $
500 per month :/ that's a 6 grand annual expenditure in the real world, on a 6 grand toy and you haven't even paid to put gas in it yet, in a country with socialized health care :/ that's !@#$%^ outrageous. That one better be full coverage on a solo vehicle.

I don't think the difference for full coverage was that much for me. Even if you doubled my premiums I'm still 1/3 of what some people are getting quoted here. I also got some ridiculous quotes, but obviously I didn't take them.

The quotes for under $100 a month on 400cc or under via echelon were all with full coverage.
I just got insured with them, new rider, 36 y/o, Vaughan, '06 FZ6, $96 a month with comp but not collision. With collision it goes up by $14 or so.
Pretty good rate for a 600cc inline 4 with almost 100hp

$100.00 - $150.00/month is pushing it for me. I might go a little higher but not by much.
It then becomes a matter of insurers and what they offer me and the model of bike I choose to ride.
It's a tight-rope dance these days!

The most I want to pay is $3.82 ... But I am forced to pay $450.00(full coverage on a 2002 Honda CB919)

Heck if we are throwing out numbers I would prefer to pay $500 a year for a motorcycle, as a second vehicle. Meaning I have a car insured already. It's really dumb we have to pay twice for 2 separate vehicles when you can only use 1 at a time.

You do realize nobody can actually afford all the insurance they theoretically need right? :|
Add 2 jet ski's which you can only ride in the same limited season as the bike :/ unless you snow bird and take all your toys with you,
plus your truck and tractor and snowmobile and house and health and travel and life.... did I miss any?
Entry fees! much of my rider entry fee goes straight to an insurance company.

My bike insurance should at most be the same as my jet ski which is less, which makes zero sense because you can drown riding one of those things or hit ground just as hard. Helmets not required, typical attire is a bathing suit but you do need to be wearing a pfd so they can find the body!

Look at your insurance policy and do a line-item check of costs. You'll find that the majority of your insurance premium if Statutory Accident Benefits or SABs If you want lower insurance premiums lobby Fat Tony at Queen's Park to remove the 'S' part of "SABs": make ABs optional instead of statutory.

People should be able to make an informed decision as to whether they want to risk riding a motorcycle without AB coverage. They should be made aware about what SABs actually cover:

Law Document English View

and whether or not they can imagine a scenario where they did crash, suffered a catastrophic injury and had to pay out of pocket for things currently covered.

If insurance companies were only on the hook for liability and maybe collision and maybe comprehensive rates could be lowered fantastically. That they are on the hook for caring for people in vegetative states up to a million dollars means these required benefits are going to carry significant premiums.

Fat Tony seems amenable to getting the government out of people's lives. Maybe he'd be receptive.

FWIW, I'd continue to carry ABs coz I'm stupid but not that stupid. But adults should have the choice.

Look at your insurance policy and do a line-item check of costs. You'll find that the majority of your insurance premium if Statutory Accident Benefits or SABs If you want lower insurance premiums lobby Fat Tony at Queen's Park to remove the 'S' part of "SABs": make ABs optional instead of statutory.

People should be able to make an informed decision as to whether they want to risk riding a motorcycle without AB coverage. They should be made aware about what SABs actually cover:

Law Document English View

and whether or not they can imagine a scenario where they did crash, suffered a catastrophic injury and had to pay out of pocket for things currently covered.

If insurance companies were only on the hook for liability and maybe collision and maybe comprehensive rates could be lowered fantastically. That they are on the hook for caring for people in vegetative states up to a million dollars means these required benefits are going to carry significant premiums.

Fat Tony seems amenable to getting the government out of people's lives. Maybe he'd be receptive.

FWIW, I'd continue to carry ABs coz I'm stupid but not that stupid. But adults should have the choice.
Change AB by attaching it to the driver instead of the vehicle. That would fix things.

Change AB by attaching it to the driver instead of the vehicle. That would fix things.

Yes. As someone who has been driving for 36 years, has zero at-faults and no moving violations despite driving cars the insurance industry hates (VW GTI, Ford Mustang GT, Subaru STi) not to mention no moving violations or claims on the bikes I've had I feel like I'm due the courtesy of rates being set by the peril I pose, not the inanimate object I'm controlling.

Back
Top Bottom