What do you consider overkill for the street? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What do you consider overkill for the street?

SVrider24

Site Supporter
Do you think leather pants with knee pucks is overkill for street riding? I always wear my helmet, leather jacket, full gauntlet gloves and racing boots + jeans. I feel comfortable leaning over and sticking my leg out slightly but never too far because I fear I may eventually drag my unprotected knee on the ground. I'm not intentionally trying to drag knee on the street but it does feel much more comfortable sticking it out there...

What do you guys wear and do you ever drag a knee on the street or is my knee higher up then I think it is... I'm 6'2 on an R6, kinda lanky so it does feel close to the ground in sharp turns, hard to gauge where my knee is though... $300 racing pants worth it for the street?

In 24 years of street riding including 20 years of roadracing, I've never touched a knee down on the street. If it ever happens, it is an indication that I am going too fast - pushing my luck - better slow down.

Full leathers on any real ride, though. Two piece zip together for street riding.

Why do you care what others wear?
They are not the one that will be getting your skin grafts.

In a word....yes. I crashed last July 1. Had I been wearing jeans, I might not be walking very well today, since I banged up my right knee quite nicely. The pants I wear (Alpinestars Sport A10 Leather/Textile) are leather where it counts (knees, front of lower leg, butt) and well padded with CE-approved knee and tibia protectors. They have covers on the knees that are attached by Velcro.....can be removed and replaced with pucks. They are not what I would call "racing" pants exactly, but can be zipped to an A* jacket and use knee pucks, so they're close.

Do you think leather pants with knee pucks is overkill for street riding? I always wear my helmet, leather jacket, full gauntlet gloves and racing boots + jeans. I feel comfortable leaning over and sticking my leg out slightly but never too far because I fear I may eventually drag my unprotected knee on the ground. I'm not intentionally trying to drag knee on the street but it does feel much more comfortable sticking it out there...

What do you guys wear and do you ever drag a knee on the street or is my knee higher up then I think it is... I'm 6'2 on an R6, kinda lanky so it does feel close to the ground in sharp turns, hard to gauge where my knee is though... $300 racing pants worth it for the street?

It always feels lower than it is in my experience. I thought I almost had it down on the 404-401 ramp last season but I was still a good 6-8" away. Given the speed I was doing I've since stopped trying

Leathers on the street is always a good idea. Won't save your bacon if you hit a car or barrier on the highway, but it will save your skin from the 120km/h slide you'll be doing

Leather top always for me, or similar material that will save the skin. gloves with CF knuckles, lower usually jeans and normal running shoes for me

I will always wear my boots, especially after seeing that photo posted here a while back with that guys foot skinned down to the bones. Maybe I need to check out some bare bone knee sliding accidents and I won't be so on the fence about buying some leather pants w/ pucks

I think your question really depends on how hard you ride. I mean if you commute to work and you're a very conservative rider a full leather racing suit is overkill. I would consider a textile top and bottom good protection, but I see most people wearing motorcycle jackets and jeans, with some variation of motorcycle footwear. Like you (SVrider24) I wear a helmet, gauntlet gloves, leather jacket, kevlar jeans and motorcycle boots or shoes, with the latter choice only when I have to walk a lot.

Why do you care what others wear?
They are not the one that will be getting your skin grafts.

:eek:ccasion5:

It always feels lower than it is in my experience. I thought I almost had it down on the 404-401 ramp last season but I was still a good 6-8" away. Given the speed I was doing I've since stopped trying

Leathers on the street is always a good idea. Won't save your bacon if you hit a car or barrier on the highway, but it will save your skin from the 120km/h slide you'll be doing

You don't have to be doing mach 3 to drag a knee. You can do it at 50km/h all day long

1. I bet you aint even CLOSE to putting that knee down...in fact i'd put money on it.
2. Leather pants are not there for the pucks....they are there to save your skin in a slide.
3. I'd much rather wear jeans and knee protection than leathers with no knee protection.

I had a small low side with just jeans on. i hit both my knees on the ground and they hurt like a ***** and took forever to heal (for months after i would rip the scabs from flexing my knee). Second low slide, at a much higher speed (100km/h) slid down the road, my knee protectors took a beating but i walked away with no injuries other then where my leather jacket rose up and my love handles scraped on the ground, had a bit of a road rash there.

There is no overkill on the street. Wear the most you can and want to. I keep my pucks on at all times, I have dragged a knee a few times on the street. But like others have said unless ur REALLY leaned over and REALLY trying, your probably not even close lol.

If you're actually using the kneepucks, then that's overkill for the street.

You need a wider safety margin on the street, than a track.

Agreed. I never said it was a good idea lol. But neither is lane splitting on the 400 series at 200 + kmh, while wearing shorts, tee shirt and flip flops. But it still happens. ;)

Since knee pucks are not for crash protection, I don't think they're necessary unless you intend to drag your knee.Other than that I think you only start talking overkill when you look at how much money you spend, not how many safety features you have.
Leathers are great - abrasion resistant and crashworthy enough to last a long time.
Textiles can be more comfortable, more versatile, and llike leather, offer great impact protection with the addition of armour in the high-risk areas. As for abrasion, you may need a new jacket/pants after one slide, but hey, it did it's job.
Most of my riding is commuting, and very little time spend above 80 kph. It's far more likely that if have an incident, it's going to be a collision so I'm mostly concerned about impact and short slides. I generally wear one of my two textile suits to and from work. They have different comfort features, so my choice is weather dependent. Each has armour at the shoulders, elbows, back, hips and knees. Full face helmet, and leather or leather/textile gloves. Boots are generally weather dependent as well. Alpinestars SMX, or ICON Patrol for the wet/cold.

Good point. See I wouldn't buy them to purposely use them on the street. It would be more for piece of mind that if I do some how get a knee down it wouldn't be my skin grinding on the pavement. I just see a lot of riders in full gear (knee pucks and all) on the street. Didn't know using them was a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom