What do OPP Ride? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What do OPP Ride?

Mad Mike

I'm asking because a friend just got pulled over charged with Stunt Driving. The OPP rider was using a handheld radar and said he clocked him at 160 then 162 at the 707/Warden underpass. When I do the math using data for the police special HD, he would have needed <10-15km to catch a car at that speed, It doesn't make sense that he overtake him in time to head my friend off at the McCowan exit.

Terminal velocity of a falling object ( police model HD) roughly equates to between 53 and 56 meters per second - 200kmh.
I doubt one could travel any quicker than that under any circumstances.

Your friend likely needs more help then your math and what the cops are riding this days. Lawyer advice was sound.

Anyways the cop was likely on a Electra Glide police model with the 114ci engine. Haven’t ridden a Harley with the newer M8 engine but from what I understand it makes quite a bit more power then the older twin cam bikes. I do know the twin cam touring bikes pass 160 pretty easy so that police bike should move pretty decent.

Your friend likely needs more help then your math and what the cops are riding this days. Lawyer advice was sound.

Anyways the cop was likely on a Electra Glide police model with the 114ci engine. Haven’t ridden a Harley with the newer M8 engine but from what I understand it makes quite a bit more power then the older twin cam bikes. I do know the twin cam touring bikes pass 160 pretty easy so that police bike should move pretty decent.
I used the Michigan State Police police vehicle trials data. It's consistent with other HD numbers, 0-160 in 19 seconds (unladen bike), I think police carry 80+lbs of extra kit.

Power is relative, maybe a the bike has more than the old but it's till a 1000lb behmoth. My neighbor wanted to show me the 'stuff' after he paid Mackie a couple Gs for a Stage II upgrade on an 18 Road Glide. We went for a little romp, I let him pass my Wee to make him smile. On the way home he tried to pass me again, and again, and a dozen more agains -- didn't happen.

And yes, I agree with the legal part -- he'll be making a few payments on his lawyer's Porsche for this one.

your friend may have hit 160kms, but not sustained the speed, so the OPP could catch up handily. Like getting dinged while accelerating to safley pass another vehicle .

Time for the lawyer chat.... best of luck to your friend

Back
Top Bottom