What did you do to your bike recently? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do to your bike recently?

CAM chain and tensioner blade on my little Suzi this aft. Also sharpened the wood chipper blades.

Looks like that brake fluid was definitely due for a change. Does the FJR need any special tools to activate the ABS module to flush old fluid through it, or does the traditional methods get the job done?

Looks like that brake fluid was definitely due for a change. Does the FJR need any special tools to activate the ABS module to flush old fluid through it, or does the traditional methods get the job done?

Technically you have two options:
Activate abs manually driving and braking on the road or by scanner. If you don’t have scanner, you can always use diagram and bypass wire to activate module.
If you flush fluid without activating ABS, you will flash most of it anyway.
Activating module I think is the way to do it. Always have 100% work done properly.

Cool. It's on my list of things to do on my new ride as I don't know when (or if) it's ever been done. I guess I could pull the master cylinder covers to see what the condition of the fluid is as an indicator. I haven't looked up the ABS flush procedure on it yet either.

Then there's the hydraulic clutch fluid as well that should probably also be done. That's a new beast to me, all my previous bikes have all been traditional cable operated clutches.

Cool. It's on my list of things to do on my new ride as I don't know when (or if) it's ever been done. I guess I could pull the master cylinder covers to see what the condition of the fluid is as an indicator. I haven't looked up the ABS flush procedure on it yet either.

Then there's the hydraulic clutch fluid as well that should probably also be done. That's a new beast to me, all my previous bikes have all been traditional cable operated clutches.

It is very easy procedure as long as you have mechanical skills.
All fluids are DOT including clutch.
I would recommend replace all fluids regardless the color. DOT is hydroscopic and color does not really tell you condition of the fluid. Boiling temperature does. Replacing all fluids takes no more than 2 hours including engine and final shaft oil.
If you have FJR, check you wheels shafts. They are always dry coming from manufacture, including final shaft.

Yes, the hygroscopic thing is certainly a reason to change brake fluids regardless of colour, but colour can be a helpful indicator of if "Ok, maybe it was changed a year or two ago by the previous owner but could used to be done again", or "It's the same fluid the bike shipped with 7 years ago". ;)

Brake fluid change is easy stuff, done it many times. The clutch, well, that depends on where the bleeder is - need to do some digging to see how much of the bike I need to take apart to get to it.

Back
Top Bottom