What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 96 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

View attachment 58966
View attachment 58967
Old snowblower uses these on the bottom and belt covers but they’ve been removed so many times they don’t tighten anymore. Think it’s more the holes are toast and not the bolt threads. Looking at a few options to fix if anyone has any tips.
What are the holes? Just sheet metal? Quiknuts? Welded nuts? Amount of metal present in the worn part can help determine the best way forward.

How can the answer to this question not be zip ties?

What are the holes? Just sheet metal? Quiknuts? Welded nuts? Amount of metal present in the worn part can help determine the best way forward.
Just typical snowblower sheet metal construction.

Going up one size on the bolts will probably last the life of the blower. Alternatively, tack a nut on the back(preferably self-locking so it doesn't vibrate loose) and it will last forever.
If he has access to a welder, just put a blob of weld in the hole and ram the self tapping screw back in. The weld will be nice and hard, and will harden the sheet metal around the hole... the screw will never fall out ... or just weld the two pieces together (but you're not taking it apart ever again)
No access to a welder? Rivnut, nut and bolt or next size up techscrew or a BIG MF pop rivet

View attachment 58966
View attachment 58967
Old snowblower uses these on the bottom and belt covers but they’ve been removed so many times they don’t tighten anymore. Think it’s more the holes are toast and not the bolt threads. Looking at a few options to fix if anyone has any tips.
Have access to a welder,? Weld a nut onto the back side of each hole.

No welder? Drill another hole a bit away from the existing holes, send the self-tappers back into the new holes.

Changed out my linkage bearings the other day. Lower shock bearing is toast. Of course the PivotWorks kit doesn't come with that one... changed the ones in the dogbone. Had to use a bearing puller for those. Seized solid.

They were due. I grease them yearly, but the previous owner likely didn't. At 37,000k, much of it in mud and river crossings, I'm not surprised.
bd92580cb07fd53ab25d68b457b624ad.jpg
6f9a3474e0a0f54621abb9d84e27a930.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

47C7CD0E-15D3-4998-A70E-8B722D7634C5.jpeg
B0B40288-6812-477F-9570-56D6CF3F74E3.jpeg
Thanks for the suggestions on the bolt. I’ll try a self cutting course thread bolt in the same size first and see if that’ll work. If it doesn’t I’ll drill/tap the next size up (depending on hardware store selection I may do this first anyways).
For those like me that hate throwing things out because they could become useful here’s an example to keep at it. The auger pulley split in half on this dual pulley part at the start of clearing the last big 15” snowfall we got before Christmas. With it split it was too loose for the belt to grab it. Since it was the very end piece that was broken I used this old O2 sensor heat shield leftover from one I replaced on a car last year to fit between the end bolt and the broken side of the pulley to hold it together and voila, worked perfectly. The new O2 sensor didn’t have a heat shield and after confirming it was fine without one (and old shield would not go on new sensor) I figured I’d keep it anyways. New pulley and auger belt replaced last night.

Time for reorganization and a few upgrades:
  • new 60 gal 11.5cfm compressor, new autolube and drier
  • New 40" sheet metal brake
  • New cart for plasma and mig
  • Replacing 5' steel bench with 8'
  • Adding another vice, refurbished 6"
  • Sandblaster gets New glass and a dust vacuum
  • 30 new casters - everything will roll
  • New lights - I'll be tanning while I work.

Getting rid of the wheelchair elevator platform and putting simple stairs back in. Reinstalling the racedeck flooring.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1673278597897.jpg
    FB_IMG_1673278597897.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom