What Axle Grease should I use - Yes for Real! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What Axle Grease should I use - Yes for Real!

It must have one magnetized ball or some crazy thing,
the sensor will be very close if the thing works on magnet, but if it is making noise there should be signs of metal to metal contact associated with that.
If you bought a #4 spacer, you could test the sensor as a potential source, that sounds affordable
:| how much could H-D possibly charge for a #4 axle spacer
I thought something similar about the ABS sensor. There isn't much to it, and fully enclosed like the bearing, and just sits next to it. What's funny this sound only appears after the bike starts to warm up from running (moving) about 20 mins. So I don't think it could be the sensor as it really isn't a moving part, so to speak. But I will look at it again.

Ya the pricing on some of these parts is funny sometimes. I think I paid $14 for a couple of screws.
For that part it probably is about $10 from what I can find right now. But ordering it might take weeks if not in stock. (comes from the USA, with COVID delays)

I going to take it all apart tomorrow and grease it up real well, especially the bores, and take a second look at the ABS sensor.

The snail adjusters are fine, the axle needs to be significant to withstand the forces being put on it. Once the axle is tight against all the bearings and spacers that needs to become one tight and perfect aligned chunk of everything fixed together solid including the axle.
Axle needs to tight as all **** too, check the torque spec from Harley and make sure it is at least that tight.

... You'll figure it out :cool:

Have you replaced the rubber gizmo?
If it is from 2012 it should be done, it's a consumable part + the nature of rubber does change with heat.
The parts should fit so well on the axle that almost all the grease will be forced out, or you found something that could be improved. (y)

The snail adjusters are fine, the axle needs to be significant to withstand the forces being put on it. Once the axle is tight against all the bearings and spacers that needs to become one tight and perfect aligned chunk of everything fixed together solid including the axle.
Axle needs to tight as all **** too, check the torque spec from Harley and make sure it is at least that tight.

... You'll figure it out :cool:
Thanks for the suggestions, I thought the same thing about the tightness of the axle and actually adjust the torque to be just a bit more. It's something like 105 ft- lbs for final torque.

Have you replaced the rubber gizmo?
If it is from 2012 it should be done, it's a consumable part + the nature of rubber does change with heat.
No, but makes sense I will look into it.

105 ft-lbs is way up there as expected (y)
inspect the swingarm welds close, your brake calliper is attached to the swingarm,
lots more potential to put tremendous twist on the frame and suspension.

H-D should buy Any modern trials bike and take it apart to see the right way to build **** the brake calliper should also ride on the axle.

Finally getting around to updating this post.

@Trials in case you were curious this is what the ABS sensor looks like. Nothing much to troubleshoot.
See my next post anyhow.

IMG_4393.jpg

IMG_4394.jpg

Last edited:
I did pull off the rear wheel some time last week. Pulled it all apart, cleaned it, and re-applied anti-seize quite thoroughly using a toothbrush to get well into the bores, shaft, and space between spacer and bearing.

Went for a couple of rides and for the most part it is better. Still a little squeaking, not as bad. I believe I didn't have the wheel fully algined and possibly the belt quiet tight enough. Either way the noise now is more isolated to the brakes. I think becuase they are floating, the pads, chatter a bit. Because I didn't have the wheel quite straight it was much worse then it should have been. I think my rear brake disc has a bit of a ridge, which if I grind down will solve the rest of it. Winter project. At least I have a better sense of what is going on.

Thanks all for the input, help troubleshooting!

Back
Top Bottom