What Axle Grease should I use - Yes for Real! | GTAMotorcycle.com

What Axle Grease should I use - Yes for Real!

sburns

So I have been dealing with a squeak coming from my rear wheel. Thought it was the bearings, so they were replaced, noise still there. Some discussion of it might be the rear brake pad. See this thread

It is making a noise, but it's not like the original noise I was trying to deal with. So today, as a somewhat radical troubleshooting method, I took out my rear brake pads and went for a ride. Little tricky but it worked. There was some contact with the brake disc touching the caliper pistons but different then the noise I am trying to pinpoint. After a while of riding the underlining noise started to appear.

I believe I can rule out the rear brake making this noise. I believe it is coming from the rear axle somehow or the spacer.

The service manual calls to use a thin coat of Silver Grade Anit-sieze. I have been using this from CT

Maybe it is not good enough. Or I haven't coated it enough internally through the bores.

Anyhow I plan to remove the rear wheel and reapply it. If there is another product worth trying please let me know! (this is driving me nuts!)

The axle is not in contact with any moving parts or that is the problem.
You only need to grease the axle if there is concern of it rusting.
Once you tighten the entire rear wheel assembly the inner race of the axle bearings are part of that assembly
and everything that moves is riding on the roller bearings.

Change or inspect the drive belt if it has one sounds like a good idea. Cushion drive if it has one,
and hub bearing if it has one that has been overlooked. Do we have a parts diagram for this bike?

Change or inspect the drive belt if it has one sounds like a good idea. Cushion drive if it has one,
and hub bearing if it has one that has been overlooked. Do we have a parts diagram for this bike?
The bearings in the rear sprocket was replaced (#17), and I have cleaned and wet lube the cush drive (#16).
Pages from 2011 Harley Davidson Touring Model Service Manual-5.jpg

I assume the 2 x #5 bearings were also done, and that you don't have the ABS bits, if you have an ABS sensor and not a spacer and it is just disconnected I would suspect that, ABS sensors need to be in close proximity to the sender and in this case the ABS sender would be an expensive #6 bearing instead of a #5, and a 4 instead of #7 for ABS :|

That axle setup is extremely antiquated, to say the least, the belt runs on a small diameter steel axle, the hub drive bearings set directly on the steel axle, a spacer bangs up against the first axle bearing that rides directly on the steel axle, the spacer is lust a chunk of steel pipe that bangs up against the second bearing and that one might even be special if the bike comes with ABS ... very sad, all kinds of room for misalignment, starting with a bent or damaged axle and the bearings are small by design. He needed a special wheel puller because they built it the way they built it, cheap.

Has H-D never heard of a thing called Titanium

Here's a thought, loosen your axle nut, rotate the axle 90 degrees, tighten inspect and test ride, try that at least 3 times.
If the axle is bent, something is likely to change.

Here's a thought, loosen your axle nut, rotate the axle 90 degrees, tighten inspect and test ride, try that at least 3 times.
If the axle is bent, something is likely to change.
Isnt it easier to pull the axle a roll it along something reasonably flat? You can see a very minor bend while rolling.

I'd be checking everything including the swingarm bearing or bushing, I can imagine what they put in there.
Would not overlook possibility of cracks in welds somewhere too.

Reactions: J_F
I assume the 2 x #5 bearings were also done, and that you don't have the ABS bits, if you have an ABS sensor and not a spacer and it is just disconnected I would suspect that, ABS sensors need to be in close proximity to the sender and in this case the ABS sender would be an expensive #6 bearing instead of a #5, and a 4 instead of #7 for ABS :|
Yes wheel bearing were replaced #5, #6, I do have ABS so the bearing is a little different.

Yes wheel bearing were replaced #5, #6, I do have ABS so the bearing is a little different.
It must have one magnetized ball or some crazy thing,
the sensor will be very close if the thing works on magnet, but if it is making noise there should be signs of metal to metal contact associated with that.
If you bought a #4 spacer, you could test the sensor as a potential source, that sounds affordable
:| how much could H-D possibly charge for a #4 axle spacer

That axle setup is extremely antiquated, to say the least, the belt runs on a small diameter steel axle, the hub drive bearings set directly on the steel axle, a spacer bangs up against the first axle bearing that rides directly on the steel axle, the spacer is lust a chunk of steel pipe that bangs up against the second bearing and that one might even be special if the bike comes with ABS ... very sad, all kinds of room for misalignment, starting with a bent or damaged axle and the bearings are small by design. He needed a special wheel puller because they built it the way they built it, cheap.

Has H-D never heard of a thing called Titanium
It's a Harley, the antiquated part is to be expected. The first time I dealt with the rear wheel I was shocked there isn't a more precise method to align the rear wheal. Just twist and go.

The only thing I can think of is the axle or the spacer needs more grease. Or the spacer has become worn at the edges or is loose.
I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom