What are the limitations to get a bike on the highway? cc etc? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are the limitations to get a bike on the highway? cc etc?

Hiya! :) I'm new to the bike scene and was wondering what the minimum requirements a bike has to meet before it can be ridden on the highway?

Is it cc-based or something else? I've been getting conflicting results via Google.
Ontario.

There is only one place to start, and this is it:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm

Other sources may give you specific answers,
but the Highway Traffic Act is the law, and nothing else is.

So take a look in there. Good luck.

Here is an example. I sometimes ride my Honda CBR-125R on 400-series highways in Ontario, or on Interstate highways in the USA. I am entitled to do so, because that bike can reliably go the speed limit almost all the time (maybe not uphill against a headwind), and it can certainly go 40 MPH or 70 KPH in any weather in which I would ride it.

I've gone through what I could for now and found nothing to help with the question. I did find lot of other interesting facts though, so thank you for that! :)
I'll take another look when my eyes stop throbbing. lol

So cc has nothing to do with it? Only minimum reliably attainable speed of 100kph?
What if someone stroked their Derbi GPR-50R to 80cc and now max out at 120kph? What would the law say to that? The GPR50R is not considered LS.

The requirements vary from one place to another.

If we are talking about Ontario then the legal restriction is that the vehicle has to be legally registered and plated as a "motorcycle" - and not a "moped" or a "limited speed motorcycle" or a "motor-assisted bicycle" or an "e-bike". All of these terms have definitions in the HTA.

If the Derbi 50 is registered as a full "motorcycle" and not a "limited speed motorcycle" or "moped" then legally, you are good to go.

Don't go on autoroutes in Quebec, though. They have different requirements - 125cc minimum, and frustratingly, the Honda CBR125R's 124.7cc isn't close enough.

Some US states have a requirement for at least 5 brake horsepower and have signs indicating thus.

If the Derbi 50 is registered as a full "motorcycle" and not a "limited speed motorcycle" or "moped" then legally, you are good to go.
Cool.
BTW, I was referring to my Derbi GPR50R. ;P Nice little bike. Has 6 gears. yay!
Yes, it is registered as a Full Motorcycle and still has the stock engine and tops out at 102kph according to two of my GPS. I weigh only 120lbs. Planing on stroking it to 70cc.

*that reminds me, I still have to go get my safety done. Anyone know any safety inspection shops in the Brampton area?

I agree that Ontario's HTA is difficult to read. So are the corresponding documents in other jurisdictions, including Florida, where I live. One helpful booklet, available free here, is similar to Ontario's Motorcycle Handbook, but it is not completely reliable. For instance, it says no vehicle of less than 150 cc can be driven on Interstate Highways in Florida. Well, that is nonsense; I checked with Florida Highway Patrol. Yes, there are some signs saying 5HP, but cops are not packing dynamometers, so nobody cares about those signs.

I agree with Brian P. If Ontario sells you a Motorcycle License Plate for whatever
you are riding, then you can ride it on every single one of Ontario's Highways.

Back
Top Bottom