West Virginia | GTAMotorcycle.com

West Virginia

Carmen

Just got back from a four day trip to West Virginia. I was nervous as I prepared to leave last Thursday because of unstable weather, but it all turned out alright. I had sunshine, cloudy periods and drizzle, but thankfully no downpours that required me to use my rain suit.

My first night's stop was in Somerset PA. There I was greeted at the hotel by a large number of riders on cruisers (mostly Harleys) who were in the area to attend the "Thunder in the Valley" festivities in Johnstown PA. I've never seen so many guys polishing their chrome in a hotel parking lot. I basically took 219 south to reach Somerset and it took me about 10 hours from my home in Aurora.

My second night was spent in Elkins WV. To get their I proceeded south on 219. Then east on 68 until I reached 220 just before Cumberland Maryland. I took 220 south to Franklin WV. At that point I turned on to 33 which took me through the beautiful Mononghalia National Forest (forgive the spelling). I continued on 33 to Seneca Rocks, at which point 33 turns west towards Elkins WV. This second day of riding saw me cover less than 350 km. I was able to explore the mountainous area at a relaxed pace, and still get to my hotel by 5:00. Route 220 became beautiful the minute I got off I-68. These are the mountains of western Maryland and I was pleasantly surprised by the rugged scenery. As I continued south on 220 the road and the scenery continued to impress. The minute I reached 33, I felt like I was in the Adirondacks. The mountains got higher and roads snaked through valleys and over mountain passes. Two places that impressed me the most were Germany Valley and Spruce Knob. The road to Germany Valley winds up and over a mountain pass at over 3500 feet and over looks the historic community. There is a scenic area to pull over and take pictures. As well there are civil war memorial plaques there. Quite interesting stuff.

I then continued on 33 to Seneca Rocks. I had to park the bike quite a distance to reach the information center, something about the property out front being an ancient Indian burial ground. I'm glad I made the effort though. It was there the park ranger gave me a map directing me to a road to the top of Spruce Knob (WV highest mountain at over 4800 ft.) Getting there involved me back tracking south on 33 for about 30 minutes, but it was well worth it. The mountain access road is directly off 33 and it is not a toll road like Lake Placid and Mount Washington. It also takes twice as long to climb than the previously mentioned places. It took me 30 minutes to get to the top. This is mainly because it doesn't just go up but follows the ridge for many miles before circling to the summit. Like most mountains, the summit greeted me with alpine vegetation and a temperature about 20 degrees (f) lower than the base. The scenery was outstanding and provided a 360 degree view from the fire tower.

The return trip north and west on 33 to Elkins WV continued to impress with wonderful winding roads and mountain vistas. As I said previously it was a relaxed pace that allowed me to enjoy the moment and be a tourist. I didn't want the day to end. If time permitted, I could have spent another day in the area.

Elkins WV is situated at 219/33, so this made my departure route to Clearfield PA (my final night stop) easy. As I rode north on 219 to the town of Parsons WV, I thought I was in a time warp. Their were confederate soldiers walking around a park with fires burning, surrounded by large grey tents and plumes of smoke filled the air. From there I continued north into Maryland, finally entering PA. This leg of the trip was also relaxed. My riding day was perhaps 8 hours, arriving in PA at dinner time. They have got to change the name of 219 to some thing like the "Ontario Highway." I couldn't believe how many Ontario bikes I saw.

From Clearfield Pa my ride home was 7 hours. I arrived home by 3:00 pm.

The Good:

WV is fairly close, and the scenery and roads are spectacular. As well hotels and food are cheaper than what we're use to. The people there are what set it
apart from The mountains of the north east. The are very friendly and often approached me to start conversations about Canada. Unless you're a total introvert you'll never be lonely riding solo in West Virginia.

The Bad:

Deer, and lots of them. I had deer cross in front of me three times in a one hour period while riding on 33. Thankfully I saw them all coming at a range of about 100-150 feet. As well I saw another couple during the same period standing at the side of the road watching the cars go by.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip. I'm heading down to FL (via South Dakota) with some friends On Thu. and am coming back on my own as they are continuing west for the rest of the month. I was thinking of coming back via the Blue Ridge Pkwy and 219. But I'm not sure as I'll have 2 days to return home. Wondering if 219 is really worth it, over say the I-xx?

Absolutely! 219 is so much more fun than the interstate slab runs.. at least in the mountains. It's sweepy, twisty and well laid out. If there is one criticism I have of 219 it would be the need to plant grass on the shoulders or pave the damn things!! Lemme explain!!

Every 18 wheeler drags its *** end on the shoulder during right hand curves.. kicking up all the gravel which just happens to spin to the bike's natural curve line!! SO, you need to be careful on ALL right hand curves (and there are many - both ways, No Kidding!! lol). The tendency of course is to try to avoid all the gravel - but doing so throws you further into the opposing lane!! Trying to cut inside the gravel is the real challenge which few cruisers seem to master. Braking in these curves is the worst choice - like riding on marbles. Just expect it - right curves will be full of gravel.

Ride safe and if not really nimble to cut inside the gravel stream, then slow down on right curves - if a heavy fat cruiser - really slow down! You can always accelerate out of the curve and scare all the deer and rabbits away with those loud pipes!!

When Passing through "Accident" stop off at the library and find out why the place is called Accident. You'll enjoy the answer and appreciate the town - which believe me, can use some "appreciation."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice trip description

questions

what time of day on the deer???

did you encounter many trucks on the same twisties you rode. It always bothered me even in a cage the number of trucks and some in my lane oncoming.

•••••

My first night's stop was in Somerset PA. There I was greeted at the hotel by a large number of riders on cruisers (mostly Harleys) who were in the area to attend the "Thunder in the Valley" festivities in Johnstown PA.

We stumbled into an old car meetup and some osort of town celebration in Johnstown and were made welcome - good food ( free ) and a ton of bikes but also a collection of Vintage cars. Friendly.

Like stepping back in time

Screenshot2011-06-28atJun28201132500AM.jpg

Last edited:
I rode across the MAson Dixon Hwy, till I hit 16...then headed south. Incredible roads and sceneery, especially once you get 3/4 of the way thru West Virginia (heading south) on 16, and you wind up in the New River Gorge.
New_River_Gorge_Bridge.jpg

From there you can head northwest along 10 or 52...both are incredible rides......

Been to New River Gourge many a time and close to their is a old town called Hinton WV it a old railway town from the boom of 1800's with a few building still standing and restored and the whole history written in displays. Amtrak still stops and norfolk and southern Railway still run coal thru as well.

Sounds like a great time - I love West Virginia as well. In fact, I'm heading back there to Morgantown at the the end of July for their Mountainfest bike rally. I went last year and had a blast camping onsite. This year its the last weekend in July - which also gives me the August holiday Monday here (I'm taking off the Thursday and Friday before). Thursday to get there, Friday and Saturday to explore, Saturday night to party, Sunday to recover :-( and Monday to go home.

Hey, sort of on topic...well one state over, is the Blue Ridge Pkwy really that nice of a ride from end to end?

Absolutely! 219 is so much more fun than the interstate slab runs.. at least in the mountains. It's sweepy, twisty and well laid out. If there is one criticism I have of 219 it would be the need to plant grass on the shoulders or pave the damn things!! Lemme explain!!

Every 18 wheeler drags its *** end on the shoulder during right hand curves.. kicking up all the gravel which just happens to spin to the bike's natural curve line!! SO, you need to be careful on ALL right hand curves (and there are many - both ways, No Kidding!! lol). The tendency of course is to try to avoid all the gravel - but doing so throws you further into the opposing lane!! Trying to cut inside the gravel is the real challenge which few cruisers seem to master. Braking in these curves is the worst choice - like riding on marbles. Just expect it - right curves will be full of gravel.

Ride safe and if not really nimble to cut inside the gravel stream, then slow down on right curves - if a heavy fat cruiser - really slow down! You can always accelerate out of the curve and scare all the deer and rabbits away with those loud pipes!!

When Passing through "Accident" stop off at the library and find out why the place is called Accident. You'll enjoy the answer and appreciate the town - which believe me, can use some "appreciation."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Couldn't agree with you more Mototrek. It is dangerous for bikers how WV chooses to cover their shoulders with gravel. As you said. I'd much prefer grass as is the case on the BRP. I observed crews trimming it last time I was in Virginia. It is more high maintenance but much safer for bikers. Just don't try to be a kneee dragger in WV. The road will bite you.

Nice trip description

questions

what time of day on the deer???

did you encounter many trucks on the same twisties you rode. It always bothered me even in a cage the number of trucks and some in my lane oncoming.

•••••

We stumbled into an old car meetup and some osort of town celebration in Johnstown and were made welcome - good food ( free ) and a ton of bikes but also a collection of Vintage cars. Friendly.

Like stepping back in time

Screenshot2011-06-28atJun28201132500AM.jpg

The deer encounters occurred in the middle of the afternoon. As far as trucks go, there were plenty in the Pennsylvania portion of 219 but not so much in West Virginia. Once I was on scenic 220 and 33, trucks were non existent. I have been to PA three times and have never had a deer cross in front of me, although I did see three dead ones on the shoulder of 219.

Here's a couple of pictures:

Last edited:
WV 20 has to be one of the best roads I've ridden. It's about 30 miles west of Elkins. Just rode it Saturday and Sunday. About 40 miles of twisties up down up and down of mountains.

Last edited:
Did you experience a lot of gravel on 20? We just returned from WV last week. The roads are great, however, between the gravel washouts in the corners and the deer, it was a bit challenging. Did you try 33 to Harrisonburg? It's a great ride as well.

Did you experience a lot of gravel on 20? We just returned from WV last week. The roads are great, however, between the gravel washouts in the corners and the deer, it was a bit challenging. Did you try 33 to Harrisonburg? It's a great ride as well.
No gravel on 20. But I did have a deer encounter. I also had another one on 219 on the way back to Elkins. Plus a deer in PA on the way home. 20 was in great condition.

Well the downside of riding anywhere in mountainous areas is the deer - last year on the Blue Ridge they were everywhere on the side of the road, though we had no close encounters. I haven't yet seen many in West Viriginia, but the times I've gone down to Lake George, NY for Americade there were lots around my campsite, which was by a river.

I try to avoid riding at dusk in particular in the mountains and if I have to, I keep a sharp eye and I've been lucky so far to see them and be on the brakes before they've come bouncing out on the road in front of me. But they are quick and unpredictable.

We were seeing deer all day. Had a couple jump out in front of us. Also, in some of the back woods we had a few dogs from houses wandering the roads and chasing the bikes as well. lol I found there was a LOT of gravel on the roads we took in WV. Ohio roads had better surface and not so much gravel..no real twisties (except for 536) but nice rolling hills and sweepers. We found a cute little picnic area that we camped in one night as we got caught in a storm. It was great..a covered area with electrical outlets and everything...and it was FREE!!!

Back
Top Bottom