Weird accident, rider ok. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Weird accident, rider ok.

CafeRay

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...r-tractor-trailer-rolls-over-spills-1.2836525

Some idiot Saturday in the hammer went too fast on the off ramp with a load of scrap metal, flipped the truck, and rained all the metal down on the highway below into the path of a rider on a Honda (?). He slid out, but was ok. No real way to avoid this mess...

B821772822Z.1_20141116183846_001_GFT1C80TD.2_Gallery.jpg

wow.

Glad rider is ok.
No amount of skill or experience or anything can prepare you for raining metal pieces.

Something similar happened on the same ramp a couple of years ago. No one injured though

I heard that on the news, when it's your time to crash, it's your time. Best wishes to the rider, glad they are reasonably ok, that could have been messy.

As a Hamiltonian I can say that's a Honda for sure. Raining metal is not good. Was trucker going to Brampton? Was he coming from Brampton?

As a Hamiltonian I can say that's a Honda for sure. Raining metal is not good. Was trucker going to Brampton? Was he coming from Brampton?

How does living in Hamilton qualify you as a Honda expert? :lmao:

Glad the rider is OK! Could you imagine coming down the road and seeing this happening and not being able to avoid it?

That bike still looks like it's in "mint" condition. kijiji ad - never been dropped. LOL
p.s. GWS rider.

I think this is what John McGuiness would have referred to as a "brown shorts moment". This guys was tough, it was below 0 that morning.

Funny how CBC closed the comments on that story so quickly. I can only guess that discussion was going in a direction that was too truthful, like the idiots driving those things are exploited new Canadians who can barely read and write, who get paid low wages and are treated like slaves. It's not enough that one hit the Hamilton skyway last year drunk with the bucket up. I guess we'll have to wait until one slams into a school bus full of kids and kills them all before something is done. Semi-truck drivers should be a regulated skilled trade.

Funny how CBC closed the comments on that story so quickly. I can only guess that discussion was going in a direction that was too truthful, like the idiots driving those things are exploited new Canadians who can barely read and write, who get paid low wages and are treated like slaves. It's not enough that one hit the Hamilton skyway last year drunk with the bucket up. I guess we'll have to wait until one slams into a school bus full of kids and kills them all before something is done. Semi-truck drivers should be a regulated skilled trade.

I have no interest in Google's autonomous driving vehicles, but I hope the first application is for these trucks. Let's just keep killing people with these things and whine about traffic when perfectly clear rail lines just rust away unused. MOT sucks.

I will not speculate as to how this accident happened. Nor will I speculate on the skills of the driver in question. I respect these big rig drivers...

I am however, happy that the rider is ok! could have got a lot worse...

I have no interest in Google's autonomous driving vehicles, but I hope the first application is for these trucks. Let's just keep killing people with these things and whine about traffic when perfectly clear rail lines just rust away unused. MOT sucks.

Google oversold the idea of SDVs. Most of the "accident-free" miles were in the neighborhood of Google's headquarters in Mountain View, California. The terrain was painstakingly modeled in 3d, down to the tiniest detail. Pedestrians, construction detours and...rain would often fluster it, requiring the human to take over. Not that they won't eventually arrive (just about every automaker is researching/developing), but the quasi-regulated trucking industry in North America will be a deadly hazard for years to come, scrabbling for crumbs while we dodge them.

Railways are making money hand over fist shipping various forms of crude oil, chemicals and other bulk goods. They're not interested in the expensive, complex logistics of passenger rail and local shipping. The rusty rails are destined for rail-trails or scenic tours/amateur lines. Maybe if those tarsands/fracking pipelines get built, it won't be so comfortable for them. Who knows. Information is so unreliable these days.

Not questioning you Flywheel, but do you have a source for any of that? Links? A lot of folks I know are very interested in the question of self-driving cars and I'm always on the lookout for more information about their short- and medium-term feasibility.

Also, holy crap lucky unlucky rider.

A friend of mine was in the area just after the accident.

You may be happy to know the rider was limping, but was alright overall. Could have been a lot worse.

"Professional" drivers.

Autonomous vehicles are not ready for prime time (yet) and it's a shame we can't legislate this sort of haulage back to rail where it used to be. Why do we allow our highways to be clogged by beat-up, clapped-out, death-dealing trucks hauling junk like scrap metal and landfill?

Shame we let our rail infrastructure fall into such disrepair.

The scrap metal has to get from the junkyard to the steel mill somehow ... and they ain't all on rail lines.

The problem is that for such low-value loads, whoever will do it for the cheapest price gets the job, and it becomes a race to the bottom.

"Professional" drivers.

it's a shame we can't legislate. Why do we allow our highways?

Shame we let our rail infrastructure.

What is this *we* you speak of? This provinces' political process is not long range and cohesive and for the people. We are ******. That *we* I understand.

Back
Top Bottom