Weaving? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Weaving?

Skatergirl

While riding on a straight stretch, is it a good thing to weave slowly back and forth a bit so cars wanting to pass will see me?
Riding by myself I'm traveling beside the yellow line, so cars tucked up behind another car ready to pass might not see me in that lane.
Just wondered for safety reasons, if it actually works. Does anyone else do this?

I do it when I approach intersections. I also do it to get tailgaters to back off

i end up doing it anyways, dodging potholes

I like to do it when I get bored on a straight stretch. It's my way of dancing to whatever song I might be singing in my helmet :p

+1

I weave out to the other side if I see a long row of cars coming, or a transport truck.
And if you do a tight slalom in your lane it helps get the cagers to back off.

I stand on the seat, that way I can see further down the road.
I lol'd! XD Nice!

Glad to hear a lot of other riders do this. :)
I like to weave when I'm bored too. Also I'm always dodging around potholes, bumps, and even just patches of pavement for the fun of it.

I also do it to get tailgaters to back off
I've noticed that cars do back off when I weave. I should try it more often. :p

The other day I was weaving (for safety this time) on a straight stretch. Only did it about 2 times, and a cop was in the line of cars. I didn't see it till I had already done it the second time. Luckily he didn't do anything, cause I talked to a cop the other week about weaving, and he said that he would probably stop someone if he saw them doing it.
The cop also said that if someone behind you saw you doing it, they'd probably think you were impaired lol.

Last edited:
that's a difficult call. what appears to be weaving might be deliberate avoidance of potholes or tracks or any debris. heavens knows, the roads are hardly like track conditions where even the smallest debris is flagged. again, my safety first.

Regardless of whether you weave or not, my advice is NOT to be close to the centre line with a string of cars coming the other way. They WILL NOT see you if they're thinking of pulling out to pass. I always swing to the right side of the lane so that I can get eye contact with the cars in the string. Often as I swing over to the right I'll see a car pull back that was about to pull out to pass that would have put me in a head on situation.

Oh, and if you do start weaving (which I do all the time but not so much when other cars are in sight - I wouldn't be surprised that a cop might call it "stunting") be ware of the dickwad on a motorcycle that wants to wip up from behind and share your lane. That's happened to me more than once as well.

If you're in the 'blocking' position the cars will see you.

I do it when I get bored and to go around road debris but since other bikers will pass you in your lane you have to make sure no one is coming first. Also, I've heard you could get a stunting ticket for it.

I also do the "dancing" thing. I do it in my car as well though if the lanes are wide enough and I'm bored enough. Or if there is magically no traffic on some long Toronto street with an annoyingly low speed limit of 40 so I'm bored out of my mind.

I don't weave when the cars get closer in case they don't know what I'm doing, and overreact.
I ALWAYS ride in the blocking lane. I really don't think cars can see you in that lane unless they come way out to pass. The right side of the lane would be easier for cars to see you I would think. That's why I weave a bit, to hopefully at least make my headlight more noticeable.

I do it when I approach intersections. I also do it to get tailgaters to back off

+1 thumbs up

Exactly what "matthew" said.

Not necessarily. The usual "blocking position" is hardly sacrosanct, nor is it always the safest place to ride. There are plenty of times when your safety is better served by taking a position other than the usual blocking position, both to increase your visibility to oncoming vehicles, and to provide some additional buffer space for potential collision avoidance.

Regardless of whether you weave or not, my advice is NOT to be close to the centre line with a string of cars coming the other way. They WILL NOT see you if they're thinking of pulling out to pass. I always swing to the right side of the lane so that I can get eye contact with the cars in the string. Often as I swing over to the right I'll see a car pull back that was about to pull out to pass that would have put me in a head on situation.

Oh, and if you do start weaving (which I do all the time but not so much when other cars are in sight - I wouldn't be surprised that a cop might call it "stunting") be ware of the dickwad on a motorcycle that wants to wip up from behind and share your lane. That's happened to me more than once as well.

I've got to say this advice is spot on. Stay away from the centerline in those situations. If someone swings out, you'll likely have little time to react and no place to go.

Like many of you I weave quite a bit and two years ago I was pulled over by a cop who thought I'd been slugging back the joy juice. I told him I was trying to work in my new tires. He couldn't follow that and then decided I was indeed stunting. Luckily for me, another cop pulled up who was a supervisor and more or less told the guy he was a dickwad then sent me on my way. I still do it and stand up on my pegs when going over bumps and tracks and such ( another stunting procedure I'm told).

I guess when doing stuff like this its best to keep a sharp eye out for the cops, you never know what they are likely to do.

Ride safe friends.
Spyug

This could confuse a driver...probably better to not introduce variables...stay straight and consistent would probably be the safest bet...

If you can't see the driver, the driver can't see you. If you're close to the centre line you will not see the drivers of the vehicles down the line and they therefore cannot see you.

I really think someone needs to teach new riders that the "blocking position" is a rule of thumb for many situations, NOT a fundamental law of physics. Some new riders sound like crusaders trying to preach the religion of "proper blocking position" while they get taken out on the highways for not excercising any common sense.

Back
Top Bottom