Wear on top portion of drive chain rivets. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wear on top portion of drive chain rivets.

MRR11.6

Did a google and searched this site, negative results.
Something is causing the upper third of my chain rivets to be worn down slightly. Is this a common problem, any usual suspects ? Otherwise the chain looks perfect. Noticed this while cleaning and tensioning chain. Only had the bike 3 weeks, no drive line noise or shifting issues. Hoping someone will have experience with similar wear.
2005 yzf600r

Did a google and searched this site, negative results.
Something is causing the upper third of my chain rivets to be worn down slightly. Is this a common problem, any usual suspects ? Otherwise the chain looks perfect. Noticed this while cleaning and tensioning chain. Only had the bike 3 weeks, no drive line noise or shifting issues. Hoping someone will have experience with similar wear.
2005 yzf600r
Post a photo. Or a couple.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Has the countershaft sprocket cover been removed yet?
Most things that would visibly wear on metal would make a noise and vibration, if it is just dirt and chain lube displaced I would be cleaning all around the countershaft sprocket. Pictures do help (y)

Resized_20190623_103733_5215.jpeg

Having a hard time getting decent pictures. So when I said upper portion I should have said inside portion of rivet. Will keep trying in different light. It's like that peen on the rivet is shiny and larger than the other peens.
Haven't had the front sprocket cover off yet. Can anyone tell me about the chain based on the stamps? Thanks so far for thoughts on my question. More photos otw.

Is a DID manufactured chain, the other code is a chain model of some sort, internet says your chain is a 530 that's the size of the chain and yours looks fairly normal with a tiny bit of dirt and rust on it. If it has never been cleaned behind the countershaft sprocket cover it will probably be pretty yuck in there. I don't see any wear on that picture to be huge concerned over, careful with your fingers around the chain and sprockets, they bite.

... appears to be a sealed chain.

Looks like the way it was manufactured to me ….. To easy yr mind , put a dab of paint marker or something similar on it , after cleaning the end of the rivet and then ride it a few meters and see if it is scrubbed off....

Nail polish (y) if it chips off you have a problem.

It could just be beer insight, but the rivet heads do look a bit cleaner than they should be, given the rest of the chain. Is your chain guard flopping around?

Is a DID manufactured chain, the other code is a chain model of some sort, internet says your chain is a 530 that's the size of the chain and yours looks fairly normal with a tiny bit of dirt and rust on it. If it has never been cleaned behind the countershaft sprocket cover it will probably be pretty yuck in there. I don't see any wear on that picture to be huge concerned over, careful with your fingers around the chain and sprockets, they bite.

... appears to be a sealed chain.
Thanks Trials, I am going to take most fairings off next oil change and taking a peek inside the sprocket cover is one of the jobs on the list.
So building on the thoughts and suggestions provided I decided to just let the chain get dirty again and see if the "wear" showed up again, and yes the peens look shiny, top or bottom, depending on where the light comes from. Now I did tighten the chain last cleaning so that may have helped, but I suspect I was looking at the shiny peens on my normal chain.
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Are you talking about the peening on the top of the pins? lol

I was but OP just said they'd cleaned the chain at least once so I retract that speculation

Thats normal op . I run did chains and they all look like that and normal . They aint made to be pretty looking . If you want pics of my chains and spare new Did 530 rivits i have just pm me your number ill text some pics just to ease ir mind cause i know how paranoid a person could be when it comes to chain

Thats normal op . I run did chains and they all look like that and normal . They aint made to be pretty looking . If you want pics of my chains and spare new Did 530 rivits i have just pm me your number ill text some pics just to ease ir mind cause i know how paranoid a person could be when it comes to chain

Thanks runner001, just getting back into it and I don't know if they even made this types of chain when I was riding 30 years ago ! And although I may have been the exception, but me and most of my group didn't pay nearly as much attention to chain maintenance in those days. No excuse these days with all the chain brushes and lubricants and online how to help ! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom