Wanting to try trail riding, any suggestions on bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wanting to try trail riding, any suggestions on bike?

sundin4prez

Hey everyone, this year I am looking to try trail riding for the first time and looking to see everyone suggestion on best bike for my needs. Ideally I would like to ride the trails in Ganarska.

What is everyone's preference on dual sport VS small adventure bike VS large adventure bike for these type of trails? Obviously I am a beginner and I am going to drop the bike multiple times and this is something that I am more than fine with.

Due to lack of space/funds (condo living) I would prefer to not buy a offroad only bike and instead looking dualsport or adventure bike with knobbies. New or used are both options. Looking to avoid KTM due to awful experiences with 2 different 690 dukes over the years .

What are everyone's thoughts on the following bikes for beginner trails in and around southern Ontario?

-DRZ400
-Honda XR150L
-CRF250L/300/klx250/300
-CB500X
-Tenere
-KLR 650
-Vstrom 650 or 800

Thanks everyone!

Need more info.

How do you plan on getting to the trails? Trailer or ride?
If riding, how close are you? How many kms of pavement/highway will you do to get to the trails?
Will you be using this bike for primarily off-road or will be doing some commuting/traveling with it?

If you're doing primarily dirt and you are trailering, then the first three options are your best bet. If you can find one, the WR250R will be the best of the 250-300cc dual sports wrt power-to-weight and suspension.

If you are riding long distances, something with a bit more power and comfort is your best bet, then look at the DRZ400, DR650, XR650. All around 350 lbs.

Look at the wet weight of the bike. 250lbs is optimum for trail-riding. 450 lbs... not so much - not just because it's heavy to pick up, but because it carries so much inertia into corners and when braking, making it harder to handle - especially if you're a beginner.

Check out this thread, lots of info here:

Remove the VStroms and probably the CB500X from your list if Ganaraska is in your plans. Ganaraska is a mix of really sandy access roads, double-track (eg: just wide enough for an ATV) and single-track (eg: just wide enough for a single bike). The sandy access roads are downright terrifying on a big bike with even 50/50 tires. The double-track would be okay for a big bike as long as it's dry. But Ganaraska's best trails are the single-track, and you couldn't pay me to ride my VStrom on those.

People can and do ride big bikes on the single track, but it's not something that I would consider enjoyable even as a relatively experienced off-road rider. And it might be unpleasant enough to discourage a new rider from continuing in the sport.

Of all the bikes you've listed, I'd go with the DRZ400, although it's still a bit heavy for some of the single-track stuff. Actually, I'd recommend first booking a day or two with TrailTours (Trail Tours) on one of their CRF230s to get a feel for things like seat height and weight.

As Ash said, the adv bikes will be nothing short of hopeless in the trails, barely adequate on the forest access roads and terrifying on the sandy spots with their stock tires.

The Trailtours suggestion is also a great idea for a newbie.

The DRZ400 is a good choice, as it the WR250R that LC mentioned, and I know of an experienced dirt rider that is happy with his KLX300 travelling from Oshawa. Whichever dual sport you choose you should lower the gearing to enjoy riding single track trails and put on DOT knobbies. The little extra snap makes the difference of being able to lift/lighten the front wheel to clear obstacles or slamming into them and bouncing over and the stock dual sport tires aren't going to be confidence inspiring.

the KTM/Husqvarna/GasGas bikes have come a long way from the old paint shaker 640LC. Many believe the 350 versions to be perfect dual sports that lean heavily into off road.

Need more info.

How do you plan on getting to the trails? Trailer or ride?
If riding, how close are you? How many kms of pavement/highway will you do to get to the trails?
Will you be using this bike for primarily off-road or will be doing some commuting/traveling with it?

If you're doing primarily dirt and you are trailering, then the first three options are your best bet. If you can find one, the WR250R will be the best of the 250-300cc dual sports wrt power-to-weight and suspension.

If you are riding long distances, something with a bit more power and comfort is your best bet, then look at the DRZ400, DR650, XR650. All around 350 lbs.

Look at the wet weight of the bike. 250lbs is optimum for trail-riding. 450 lbs... not so much - not just because it's heavy to pick up, but because it carries so much inertia into corners and when braking, making it harder to handle - especially if you're a beginner.

Check out this thread, lots of info here:

Thanks alot lightcycle!

I would be coming from just east of the downtown core and ideally would like to ride out (highway or off highway is doable); I personally don't own a trailer (lack of space) and needing to routinely rent one would likely push me away from getting out there on the weekends.

I would love to use the bike also for a bit of commuting, with consists of no highway use (live/work/go to school in the city).

Thanks again!

Remove the VStroms and probably the CB500X from your list if Ganaraska is in your plans. Ganaraska is a mix of really sandy access roads, double-track (eg: just wide enough for an ATV) and single-track (eg: just wide enough for a single bike). The sandy access roads are downright terrifying on a big bike with even 50/50 tires. The double-track would be okay for a big bike as long as it's dry. But Ganaraska's best trails are the single-track, and you couldn't pay me to ride my VStrom on those.

People can and do ride big bikes on the single track, but it's not something that I would consider enjoyable even as a relatively experienced off-road rider. And it might be unpleasant enough to discourage a new rider from continuing in the sport.

Of all the bikes you've listed, I'd go with the DRZ400, although it's still a bit heavy for some of the single-track stuff. Actually, I'd recommend first booking a day or two with TrailTours (Trail Tours) on one of their CRF230s to get a feel for things like seat height and weight.
Thanks a bunch, I appreciate the insight!

For the DRZ, do you have an opinion of the S model (21 inch front) VS SM with dirt oriented tires?

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate the insight!

For the DRZ, do you have an opinion of the S model (21 inch front) VS SM with dirt oriented tires?

Definitely the 21" if it's mainly for off-road riding. Definitely the SM if it's mainly for around-town riding. Dual-sports are inherently a compromise in one direction or the other, so there are no easy answers unless you get both sets of wheels and swap them (which is a valid option). Everyone will have their own opinions about which compromises are more important.

After trying my VStrom on fire roads for a season I ended up buying a street-legal dirtbike (a grandfathered KDX220 two-stroke). For me, the weight of the bike, long-travel suspension, and availability of proper dirt tires were more important than on-road capability. I have the luxury of garage space for several bikes though, which is good, because a street-legal dirtbike is a terrible roadbike. I wouldn't want a street-legal dirtbike as my only bike.

When it comes to trail riding "light is right". The lighter it is the more easy/capable/fun it'll be in the trails. The lightness and often small motor associated to a light bike will both take away from how good it is on the road. There's a dual-sport for every spot on the spectrum between dirt------road but what you get on one side you take away from on the other so you've got to find the right bike for what you will actually be using it primarily for.
Something heavier that's comfy on the road on the way to the trails but a heavy pig once you're in the trails isn't any fun.
My advice is start off with a light bike as it'll be much easier to learn trail riding on. Think 230-250's CRF's/KLX's etc. Once you get better at riding offroad you can move up in power/weight if you so choose.

BTW, I haven't ridden the KDX220 in a while and I should sell it since it's just taking up space in the garage. I've been more into track riding the past couple of years. I don't think it's a great choice for the OP's scenario, but if anyone is interested in a blue-plated two-stroke, let me know.

I would be coming from just east of the downtown core and ideally would like to ride out (highway or off highway is doable)

😧

Yikes.

That's a lot of 401/115 to get to the Ganny.

I've done highway on a 250cc bike before. It's doable, but not enjoyable.

Here's a glass half-full/half-empty story for you:

Two guys I know wanted to get a true dual-sport - a machine capable of chewing both highway miles and dirt trails. Both of them settled on the KTM 690 Enduro R, striking the middle ground between the 250/350/500 thumpers and the 890/901/T700 dual-cylinder middleweights.

First guy loves his 690. Says it's the perfect bike for a mix of pavement and dirt.

Second guy hates his 690. Says it sucks equally on pavement and dirt. Too much of a compromise on both.

If you're like the second guy, then you've got to pick where you want to suffer more: pavement or dirt, and just suck it up either on the way to the trails or while you're on the trails.

I think I'm closer to the second guy, which is why I have both a dedicated street-legal dirtbike (500 EXC-F) and a heavy-weight Adventure bike (R1250GS). I prefer something purpose-built for the terrain I'm riding.

I did a week-long BDR ride in the US, 100% dirt trails the whole way for 7 days. I took my 500 and had a blast. To get back to Canada, I took the highway all the way back - 800 kms in a single day on a single-cylinder dirtbike.

Did not have a blast on the way back...

ron.gif

I used to ride single track on my DRZ400. I really liked that bike but it is a bit heavy.

As LC says "what trails and how are you getting there?" As a rule I would say any bike that's good on the road getting you to trails will not be great on them.

Also note that there are not that many "trails" in southern ON. Beyond the ganny and Gopher Dunes I can't think of too many.

As someone with a dirt bike background, out of those in the list I would go the CRF250L or KLX250 route.
You want something light(those are still 300lb) for single track and trails. Unless you plan on covering miles, then the DRZ400 is the winner. The XR150L will be too small unless you are light.
Agreed. My KLX250 is much nicer for me than was the DRZ. It's not if I drop it but when - so yes "light is right"

I used to ride single track on my DRZ400. I really liked that bike but it is a bit heavy.

As LC says "what trails and how are you getting there?" As a rule I would say any bike that's good on the road getting you to trails will not be great on them.

Also note that there are not that many "trails" in southern ON. Beyond the ganny and Gopher Dunes I can't think of too many.
There are actually quite a few miles of legal trails in the Bobcaygon area. I think it's called 5 points and is accessible with an OFTR membership.

Also, as basmn said, a hitch carrier would be the ideal solution for the OP. Hopefully he has an appropriate vehicle.

The only reason I'd hang a plate on that is to be enduro legal or legal for road sections connecting trail loops up north. Riding one from Scarberia to the Ganny, you'd be mentally/physically fried by the time you got there, not to mention the stress on the motor.

Back
Top Bottom