Want to buy a bike but I have M1 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Want to buy a bike but I have M1

RuinedC

I'm looking to buy a bike im 17 with my M1 trying to buy an R6. ( Also not to forget to mention I'm taking the the M2 course in September ) Insurance is INSANE $700 a month if it were me to own the motorcycle. But if my father who has his full M license were to own it and insure, would I still be able to drive it? Thank you in advance!

Ugh. Read much and be patient young Padawan. Realistically, insurance will make it very difficult for you to ride an R6 until you are 25 or so.

Insurance companies have been at the game longer than you. If your dad insures it and lives in the same house, they charge him your rate. If he lives somewhere else and you are the primary rider, that is insurance fraud.

Find a nice 300 and enjoy banging off the rev limiter in a bunch of gears while having fun and keeping your license.

Ugh. Read much and be patient young Padawan. Realistically, insurance will make it very difficult for you to ride an R6 until you are 25 or so.

Insurance companies have been at the game longer than you. If your dad insures it and lives in the same house, they charge him your rate. If he lives somewhere else and you are the primary rider, that is insurance fraud.

Find a nice 300 and enjoy banging off the rev limiter in a bunch of gears while having fun and keeping your license.
So If I were to buy an R3 and he were to insure it, it would still be insane? ( And we live in the same household )

No clue who that is but fair enough, I just want a bike that would last me a while and wouldn't have to upgrade
Lots of people think that way. It's the wrong way. You learn faster on a smaller bike (and it's safer and you likely get less tickets). Upgrading is no big deal. Honestly after four or five years riding tens of thousands of km's on a 300, there is a very high probability that the bike's abilities will still exceed yours.

Lots of people think that way. It's the wrong way. You learn faster on a smaller bike (and it's safer and you likely get less tickets). Upgrading is no big deal. Honestly after four or five years riding tens of thousands of km's on a 300, there is a very high probability that the bike's abilities will still exceed yours.
But do you think ill even get insured for an R3 with my M1 but close to getting my M2 ( 1 month )

But do you think ill even get insured for an R3 with my M1 but close to getting my M2 ( 1 month )
That's a question I can't answer. Many insurance companies are being difficult about M1 insurance. You could buy a bike and transfer it into your name as fit and unplated until after you complete the course, then plate it, insure it and enjoy. It will take you a while to find a bike, buy it, get it certified, ensure it doesn't have any outstanding maintenance, etc. Insurance on a 300 will be much much cheaper than an R6 (although it will still be painful).

You can probably get insurance for an R3 on an M1 license at M2 rates if you have passed your M1X Course, but have not officially completed the 60 day period to upgrade to an M2
It sounds like he takes the course in a month so no such luck. On the upside, after the course, his 60 days should ne almost done.

No clue who that is but fair enough, I just want a bike that would last me a while and wouldn't have to upgrade
Sorry if i came across too strong. Rossi is the GOAT!
FACT. You will drop your first bike. And it will do damage.
Start with a 250 dualsport. When you drop it, it won't do $1,000 damage. You will learn in a year on that bike what would take you 5 years on an r6. Buy used and sell it in a year for pretty much the same price.
Dual Sport insurance will be dirt cheap compared to ss insurance.
Don't buy anything till you have a GUARANTEED insurance quote.

Keep asking questions here. GTAM was made for riders starting out.

Welcome to GTAM, isn't it a wonderful community!

I would consider the information posted above after successfully obtaining your M2.
For now, focus on the race, not the trophy.

I'm looking to buy a bike im 17 with my M1 trying to buy an R6. ( Also not to forget to mention I'm taking the the M2 course in September ) Insurance is INSANE $700 a month if it were me to own the motorcycle. But if my father who has his full M license were to own it and insure, would I still be able to drive it? Thank you in advance!

Best to call an agent and ask but pretend like it is in his name already and see what they say about the thought of you being a secondary driver. You will be able to ride if it is insured but if you need to make a claim and you were riding it without being insured as a secondary driver that's something I'm not 100% clear on.

I know my friend had his ZX14 in his father's name and it saved him a bunch of money but he was insured as a secondary driver as well. He's 30 now and it's been in his name for 3ish years or so. Nonetheless I also just want to give some additional advice since it's your first bike:

You say your father has his full M, I am assuming he rides (or has been for some time). What does he say about you getting an R6?

My advice is simple and is going to be to listen to your father. If he recommends it then do it! If not then don't. Darwin will take care of the rest.

Cheers

A good starter bike is a dual sport 200-250. Learn the basics, develop confidence and the most important skill- road awareness.

An enduro is cheaper to buy, (DR 250, CRF, XT, KLX). insure and repair. Another benefit is you can swap canyon carving for fire roads to get some speed and riding thrills. You could also step up to a pseudo ADV (Bajaj-BMW or Versys.)

In 3 years insurance drops, you have acquired skills and awareness, and possibly the sampling of different terrain will alter your choice of a next bike.

Ahh buy what you want and what you can legally afford. Consider all the risk factors and make a choice.

You can drive a Porsche slow and a Civic very fast.

Only one person in control of that machine.

Guess Im the devils advocate. I started on an R6 - loved it, learned a lot, transitioned to a bigger bike. To the naysayers that say getting a 600cc bike = death, I say ********. It depends on the person. Respect the bike; that is all. You can take a 600 and ride it like a 300 but have room to grow on it. You can also take a 300 and just as easily go wide in a corner and splat on someones windshield. Just because my Corvette goes 200 MPH doesn't mean I've ever fish tailed the back tires and tried to hit that speed.

The issue that is beyond your control is what you have encountered, the insurance premiums. If you can afford it, do what you want but there is legally no way around the cost and they have made sure of it.

The other option is to buy a R6 track bike and learn on a track. You'll learn a lot very quick. You won't have to pay insurance, bike will be cheaper but you have all the costs associated with track days (fuel, tires, track fees, trailer and sign up for a course).

Guess Im the devils advocate. I started on an R6 - loved it, learned a lot, transitioned to a bigger bike. To the naysayers that say getting a 600cc bike = death, I say ********. It depends on the person. Respect the bike; that is all. You can take a 600 and ride it like a 300 but have room to grow on it. You can also take a 300 and just as easily go wide in a corner and splat on someones windshield. Just because my Corvette goes 200 MPH doesn't mean I've ever fish tailed the back tires and tried to hit that speed.

The issue that is beyond your control is what you have encountered, the insurance premiums. If you can afford it, do what you want but there is legally no way around the cost and they have made sure of it.

The other option is to buy a R6 track bike and learn on a track. You'll learn a lot very quick. You won't have to pay insurance, bike will be cheaper but you have all the costs associated with track days (fuel, tires, track fees, trailer and sign up for a course).
True, but does the R6 provide you with an extra ~$5,000 a year of fun or learning? Probably not. Do you learn slower and are more likely to crash the R6? For the vast majority of people, yes. So you pay more than double for a bike that is worse to learn on and more likely to get you hurt but your ego is soothed. I know some people will follow that path but it is the wrong path for the vast majority of people.

Riding a supersport slow is still trickier than riding a 300 slow. Supersports are stiff and twitchy and unforgiving. 300s are light and nimble and a ton of fun.

The only bike I've ever dropped while moving is @mistersouthpaw's ZX6R. Misjudged my speed, grabbed a handful of brake too late and down we went. 😖 There would've been no way to do that on a 300.

OP there is a very good reason most experienced riders are trying to steer you away from a supersport as a first bike. It's just going to stunt your development as a rider because the machine's capabilities far exceed your skill level.

You can't compare driving a Corvette to driving an R6. You don't need to balance a Corvette on top of using its controls.

OP there is a very good reason most experienced riders are trying to steer you away from a supersport as a first bike. It's just going to stunt your development as a rider because the machine's capabilities far exceed your skill level.

You can't compare driving a Corvette to driving an R6. You don't need to balance a Corvette on top of using its controls.
This 💯

I tell all my students they will make mistakes as a new rider and you don’t want to do them on bikes with super sensitive everything. The margin for recovering from said mistake is greatly reduced.

Back
Top Bottom