Wanna buy a CBX ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wanna buy a CBX ?

WHY would someone buy an old bike "still in the box" and then ride it?

For the experience.

Just had a thread here a few weeks back on the merits of buying a brand new bike and being the first owner and rider versus buying an identical make, model (and cosmetically identical) garage queen with a few thousand KM on it and saving a ton of money.

"Because I wanted to be the first owner" was the answer. It's not the answer that worked for me personally, but I respect it as something that holds value to others.

And yeah, I'll admit, in this case at least, being the first ever person to start and ride that bike after it sat in it's shipping crate for 40 years would be pretty damned cool.

IMHO just leaving this thing in the crate for another 40 years doesn't accomplish much except to pass it onto the next guy, ad infinitum. A bike was built to ride. Put it together and ride it. No matter what there will still be well documented bragging rights that "This is the bike that sat in a crate untouched for 4 decades".

Someone with a YouTube channel with a big viewership could probably make back the purchase price of the bike in YouTube revenue just making a channel and documenting the experience from taking the cardboard off the crate to the first start to the first ride.

beautiful!
and nice welding
is that a 6 into 3?

r5Jmuhw.png
I can't remember what the exhaust configuration is again. The welder is very talented. Here is his you tube videos;
My friend is on his 2nd engine now. Had some issues and they are not that easy to find. It does have an amazing sound tho

Happened to be on Hwy 8 down in Jordan Hollow last summer when Jan went through on the CBX.
The sound echoing through the Valley was fantastic.
Didn't know he had found another engine. He called in Dec. but my spare is in pieces.

Happened to be on Hwy 8 down in Jordan Hollow last summer when Jan went through on the CBX.
The sound echoing through the Valley was fantastic.
Didn't know he had found another engine. He called in Dec. but my spare is in pieces.
Thats the guy.

Makes me think back to around 84 and the sales man at royal city cycle was trying to sell me an 82 as in the opening picture for around one half of original MSRP. Turned him down and bought a FJ11 instead tho.

The air cooled FJ is the hot ticket in vintage racing at the moment.
Ain't nobody racing a CBx.

IN 1978 I was in a bike shop in Montreal and they had the then brand new '78 CBX on display. It was an incredible piece of engineering, don't remember the MSRP, but it was a premium machine and the cost reflected that., definitely not within my budget.

I was shopping for a bike and they had a new 1977 Yamaha XS750 and a 2 year old 1975 low mileage GL1000, both were the same price. I wanted a new bike and liked the Yamaha's mag wheels so opted for it. In retrospect the GL1000 was the better bike and probably would have held its value better the the Yamaha.

The CBX was an exercise in excess, didn't handle well, sales were poor and it was only around a few years.

Nobody likes to talk about it any more, but Kawi made a 6. The KZ1300.
It was a bit of a turd.

But Doug Domokos made it look really cool. Lol
Rkdv6cy.jpg

Last edited:
I remember "back in the day" being flat out, 90mph, laying on the tank of my first bike (74 CB360T) when my brother in law passed me on his CBX in a catwalk.

God I hope not with the stock gearbox other than the mush suspension and 16" front wheel.......
Two years later I discovered temporary nirvana test riding the first GSXR11, a life changing moment.

A couple guys from Ohio racing one in AHRMA.
Certainly not on the scale of the Curtis FJs

I've always wanted to ride one of those. Fell in love the first time I ever heard one, long before I actually saw it.

Thanks for the compliments, Gents.
Always liked the look of spokes and with these Sun rims i can get a 150/110 tire size combo instead of the stock bicycle sized 130/100.

Back
Top Bottom