Wanna buy a CBX ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wanna buy a CBX ?

Not for $21,000, I don't.

They were a really cool conversation piece, but handled terribly. It would cost several thousand to put it on the road.

Reactions: J_F
The style doesn't suit me. But for a mint condition, never ridden example of a historic bike that goes and sounds like this? The final sale price was pretty reasonable. I just hope the new owner actually puts it on the road.

It would be amazing if Jay bought this one, because you know he'd ride it.

Prefer a red one from 79

Sounds like an air raid siren. Wow!

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

Most people say it sounds like a formula 1, which makes sense, being a high rev small displacement I6

don't care for all the tupperware

and If I wanted an ancient ST
I'd find an FJ1100
Doesn't look too bad, especially compared to today's bikes.
Everything seems pretty accessible, and that front cowling looks like it would come off fairly easily.
My current bike, you're supposed to take the front cowling off to change the air filter, which is underneath the gas tank.

no, doesn't look bad at all
just not what I picture when I think of a CBX
this is:
fjKcgSY.jpg

and for an 80's vintage ST
this is a far better motorcycle
4GZW1kQ.jpg

That's the video I like to pull out when the "Loud pipes save lives" debates happen and people pull out the "But the your exhaust would have to point forward for traffic in front of you to hear it!" argument.

Anyhow...I digress.

They were a really cool conversation piece, but handled terribly. It would cost several thousand to put it on the road.

Not sure it would cost thousands. Sure, new tires, maybe new flex lines on the brakes, but maybe not - this thing has been clearly been sitting in the crate it's entire life, probably in a climate controlled environment, with no UV exposures, even the rubber may be in surprising shape.

Other then that I'd shoot some oil in the cylinders, wind it over gently by hand to begin with, add fuel and a new battery, and see what happens.

I'm fairly sure that there's efforts taken at the factory before a bike leaves to protect the cylinders and fuel tank etc from corrosion - IE, things are fogged a little. I bet we'd be surprised to see it's condition overall.

Reactions: JTR
That's the video I like to pull out when the "Loud pipes save lives" debates happen and people pull out the "But the your exhaust would have to point forward for traffic in front of you to hear it!" argument.

Anyhow...I digress.

Not sure it would cost thousands. Sure, new tires, maybe new flex lines on the brakes, but maybe not - this thing has been clearly been sitting in the crate it's entire life, probably in a climate controlled environment, with no UV exposures, even the rubber may be in surprising shape.

Other then that I'd shoot some oil in the cylinders, wind it over gently by hand to begin with, add fuel and a new battery, and see what happens.

I'm fairly sure that there's efforts taken at the factory before a bike leaves to protect the cylinders and fuel tank etc from corrosion - IE, things are fogged a little. I bet we'd be surprised to see it's condition overall.
I couldn't agree more. It would never have had gas in it, so that's not an issue. And pretty good point about the rubber, having never seen the light of day, even the tires might still be good. Flex lines too, they might not have even had any fluid in them before. Sure both are better safe than sorry measures, but they're probably all good. A standard PDI would probably have that bike road ready.

Achieving the look of the bike posted above, would only involve removing the plastics.

manu storage lube was never intended to last 40 years
I would not consider rotating that engine at all
before taking the heads off for a looksie

no, doesn't look bad at all
just not what I picture when I think of a CBX
this is:
fjKcgSY.jpg
I rode one of those 2-up across Canada with the only addition being a set of Krauser saddlebags. The seat was like plywood.
The RCMP officer that stopped me in Saskatchewan was very nice. She asked me "do you know how fast your were going ?" - I was clocking along about 130 in a 100. I said "no, but you're about to tell me. "She replied "nice bike" and let me off with a warning....

Ok....
WHY would someone buy an old bike "still in the box" and then ride it?
Sorta missing the point... no? If you want to ride a vintage CBx, buy one and ride it, for half the asking price... AND you're not starting the only unstarted CBx in the world?
They're only new ONCE, and there is no great lack of CBx's.
IF you were to buy a 40 year old "new" bike in a box, it would require a TON of maintenance IF you wanted to act like a NEW 40 year old bike.
You would need to replace pretty well anything rubber: brake lines, carb boots, engine and suspension seals, tubes and tires, even handle grips (even if the thing was stored in a climate controlled dark environment, unless you figured out how to keep these parts from oxidizing for 40 years)
You will need to replace the piston rings, at least. Rings are made from "spring" steel and have a "memory" for shape. If you compress rings into one position for any length of time, they stay that shape. 40 year old rings that haven't moved for 40 years aren't long for this world.
You will need to replace all the bearings on the bike. Bearings are designed to move. Bearings are made of parts of dis-similar metals. When you put dis-similar metals together, you get galvanic corrosion.40 year old bearings that haven't moved for 40 years aren't long for this world.
Ditto valve springs
You'll want to lap the valves... blah blah... galvanic corrosion.
ANY factory installed lubricant has succumbed to gravity long, long ago
... the paint should be good to go though... but be sure to check what the INSIDE of the tank for rust.
OOPS spoke too soon https://cdn.bringatrailer.com/wp-co...upersport_158836470031797aIMG_0979-scaled.jpg
Here's more Original-Owner 1982 Honda CBX Supersport in Factory Crate I think it's the same bike

CBx's didn't handle particularity BAD, for their time. They were a handful because of their size (they're about a yard wide at the crankshaft). They were much like their CB/F brethren, better than the Kawi's, not as good as the Suzukis. They had spindly forks and lousy brakes... but so did everyone else, and to Honda's credit they did try to fix both(compare the Jay Leno bike's front end to the earlier silver bike).

I have a friend that had one built into a cafe racer . It's pretty cool.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180510-160415.png
    Screenshot_20180510-160415.png
    776.9 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: J_F
Ok....
WHY would someone buy an old bike "still in the box" and then ride it?
Sorta missing the point... no? If you want to ride a vintage CBx, buy one and ride it, for half the asking price... AND you're not starting the only unstarted CBx in the world?
They're only new ONCE, and there is no great lack of CBx's.
IF you were to buy a 40 year old "new" bike in a box, it would require a TON of maintenance IF you wanted to act like a NEW 40 year old bike.
You would need to replace pretty well anything rubber: brake lines, carb boots, engine and suspension seals, tubes and tires, even handle grips (even if the thing was stored in a climate controlled dark environment, unless you figured out how to keep these parts from oxidizing for 40 years)
You will need to replace the piston rings, at least. Rings are made from "spring" steel and have a "memory" for shape. If you compress rings into one position for any length of time, they stay that shape. 40 year old rings that haven't moved for 40 years aren't long for this world.
You will need to replace all the bearings on the bike. Bearings are designed to move. Bearings are made of parts of dis-similar metals. When you put dis-similar metals together, you get galvanic corrosion.40 year old bearings that haven't moved for 40 years aren't long for this world.
Ditto valve springs
You'll want to lap the valves... blah blah... galvanic corrosion.
ANY factory installed lubricant has succumbed to gravity long, long ago
... the paint should be good to go though... but be sure to check what the INSIDE of the tank for rust.
OOPS spoke too soon https://cdn.bringatrailer.com/wp-co...upersport_158836470031797aIMG_0979-scaled.jpg
Here's more Original-Owner 1982 Honda CBX Supersport in Factory Crate I think it's the same bike

CBx's didn't handle particularity BAD, for their time. They were a handful because of their size (they're about a yard wide at the crankshaft). They were much like their CB/F brethren, better than the Kawi's, not as good as the Suzukis. They had spindly forks and lousy brakes... but so did everyone else, and to Honda's credit they did try to fix both(compare the Jay Leno bike's front end to the earlier silver bike).
Why would anyone marry a woman and never lay with her, just to keep her nice for the next guy?

Back
Top Bottom