Walnut tree stains on fairings! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Walnut tree stains on fairings!

QVBD

I parked under a walnut tree and noticed a bunch of yellow and black stains all over the plastic fairings. I washed it with soap and a chamois, tried a Magic eraser, a plain white eraser, paint thinner, WD-40 and Mother's clay kit but it seems like a very deep stain in the clear coat. Any suggestions for cleaning solutions or autobody shops?

My other options are to buy new fairings from the dealer or have the fairings wrapped in vinyl but would like a price from an autobody shop.

Is the stain right inside the plastic and not something stuck on the surface ?
and is it all white plastic?

I would try vinegar
failing that, explore products they use on plastic dentures to remove stains.

Last edited:
Well if a clay bar didn't help try some rubbing compound. A detail shop or body shop could probably wet sand it out, I'm not sure how thick the clear is on motorcycles though. I don't suggest wet sanding yourself.

Is the paint matte? Looks like it. I would be very careful, you don't want to polish a spot on matte paint.

Personally, I would give up and find a professional detailing shop.

I've removed them from textiles and skin, don't know if it works for paint. It's 2 steps, first neutralize and lift the stain tannins, then bleach out the shadow.

1) Lemon juice and salt. Carpenters hands get a nasty yellow stain when working with walnut, the misture of salt and lemon juice clears the stain from skin.

2) Apply a splooge of dishwashing detergent (alcohol based, Dawn, Palmolive) and about 1 tsp of white vinegar to a water soaked cloth. Rub some in and leave the wet soapy cloth on the stain for an hour.

Finally use a weak bleach (1 tblsp to 1/2 cup) solution on a rag, let it soak for 10 minutes. Wipe clear and rinse. If the stain halo is still there, repeat.

Be careful with bleach on cars. It takes about 20 minutes for household bleach to permanently hurt paint, just remember it's a really good oxidizer so always rinse thoroughly, even when highly diluted.

I had massive walnut tannin stains on our pool liner one spring a few years ago when I opened our pool - I was convinced the liner was toast. Bad me for not cleaning all the leaves off the cover one fall before winter set in.

All I had to do was raise and maintain a higher chlorine level and within a week...it all the stains were gone.

So if you have nothing to lose, I'd try Mike's suggestion above. Chlorine / bleach worked in my case.

Thanks all. I tried lemon juice (without salt, of course), then the vinegar then bleach mixtures. Nothing still, but the bleach only sat for a few minutes. Will try longer this weekend.

I think after using the a clay bar (with some elbow grease) then bleach, I think I'll need something more heavy duty. Might swing by my local body shop to see what they say.

Clorox disinfecting foam bleach cleaner. Try to leave it on for an hour or two. Zip tie a soaked rag of such.

When it does lift give it a good wax job and this should mitigate it in the future.

Back
Top Bottom