Vintage Insurance - Fleet Discount?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vintage Insurance - Fleet Discount??

thirstforspeed

Hey guys,

Just wanted to throw this out to the hive mind and see what it comes back with.

A few years ago (back in the good old days) I was told that it was possible if you insured a few vintage bikes that once you paid real insurance money for the main bike, additional ones were only a nominal additional monthly increase.

My situation is this: I own an 84 Virago XV500, and a 78 CB550. I also want to buy an SV1000S before this season. I have a clean record, no tickets or anything. I plan to sell the two vintage ones at some point this season, but want insurance on them in the meantime so that I can go down to L&L on thursdays. I don't plan to do many kms, but wanna keep them on the road so that I can sell them. I also have a car, house and my wife's bike that i can move over if need be to sweeten the deal.

Is there any insurer that will insure my 'fleet' at a reasonable price? I am not physically able to ride 3 at once, so I dont think a 10% discount is gonna cut it. I heard from a few of the vintage guys that if an insurer has your 'main' bike, then if the others are vintage and appraised every 2 years or whatever, then each bike is a negligible additional amount every month ($20/mnth/bike or so). This is what I am after.

If anyone has a deal like this, please advise who to call to try my luck.

Also, this may be covered in older posts, but bike insurance has changed a lot in the last few years so I am interested to get some up to date info.

When I switched to Primumm (TDMM) 3 yrs ago they said I could add additional motorcycles to the policy at a small cost of $250 (pay full rate of most expensive policy). Now that I'm finally adding a second bike it doesn't appear to be that way anymore.

Desjardin insured by 1981 XS650 stand alone no problem.

24/m2/$1200

I know a ton of companies won't even touch bikes 25+ years old

yeah, thats about average. my virago500 is 850$/yr. i got a quote on an sv1000 for 1200 a year.
I am looking for someone to insure my vintage bike for like 3-500$ a year as an add-on to my main policy, with the rider that it does like 500km/y max.

thats my ideal situation.

My RC51 is insured with my wife's Gladius through TD Monnex. As mentioned before many insurance companies do not touch 30+ vintage bikes. My 1975 CB550F is insured through Intact for $550/year.

Is there any insurer that will insure my 'fleet' at a reasonable price? I am not physically able to ride 3 at once, so I dont think a 10% discount is gonna cut it. I heard from a few of the vintage guys that if an insurer has your 'main' bike, then if the others are vintage and appraised every 2 years or whatever, then each bike is a negligible additional amount every month ($20/mnth/bike or so). This is what I am after.

What you are looking for is collector bike insurance, unfortunately none of your bikes are considered collector motorcycles.
Many people think once a car/motorcycle reaches a certain age they are considered collectible, that is not the case, the first criteria that needs to meet, it needs to be a sought out car/moto.

What you are referring above where you pay an additional $20/month, those bikes never see the road, they are show bikes.

If you want to ride you have to insure each bike separately, no way around that one.

thanks for the info akabek and carlos vincent

so youre saying that there is no way to add it to a multi-bike policy without paying 'full-freight' for it anyway? If it costs an extra 500 a year, i'm okay with that.

the distinction is that its old, not necessarily collectible (one man's trash, as they say) then right?

it sounds like there is a lot of bikes out there that are old enough to not be able to get insurance but not 'fancy' enough to be a collector bike... how do these people ride em?

so youre saying that there is no way to add it to a multi-bike policy without paying 'full-freight' for it anyway? If it costs an extra 500 a year, i'm okay with that.

the distinction is that its old, not necessarily collectible (one man's trash, as they say) then right?

it sounds like there is a lot of bikes out there that are old enough to not be able to get insurance but not 'fancy' enough to be a collector bike... how do these people ride em?

1 - yes, you will need to pay for each bike, if you want to ride.
2 - It's just old
3 - Older bikes are insurable, however we request a safety and a professional appraisal, 99.9% of the people don't want to bother with it as it going to cost money(good appraisal can cost $300), the word gets that insurance companies don't want to insure the bike, which is not the case.

okay. i don't mind paying for the additional risk of riding, i get that. I just don't understand why in a household of 2 riders (my wife and I) and 3 bikes why the additional premium for a 3rd,4th,5th,whatever bike is just as much as if I were to go out and get a new policy for it independently of the others.....

like i said, 500 a year is totally fine. thrice that (1500$) without collision is not realistic to just add to an existing policy, and thats the experience that i have had with insurers, if they would even write the policy on an old bike in the beginning. My experience is that they just say no flat out.

The original intent of the post was to find those companies that would insure it at all. My business has been turned away from many companies, regardless of whether i bring all my assets with me. So far, I have not been able to find a single company that would write a new policy on the CB550. Dalton Timmis told me they couldn't find the bike. WTF??

For the record, both my wife and I have 4 yrs of motorcycle licence, both full M, both 15 years of G as well, no at-faults, no claims on either. I am a professional, we have a house, car and 2 bikes right now. Seems like no-one wants our money to add a 78 CB550 onto that. I find it weird because I see a lot of people riding around on old bikes. How do they get them insured if everyone is arbitrarily not writing policies on 30+ yr bikes??

For the record, both my wife and I have 4 yrs of motorcycle licence, both full M, both 15 years of G as well, no at-faults, no claims on either. I am a professional, we have a house, car and 2 bikes right now. Seems like no-one wants our money to add a 78 CB550 onto that. I find it weird because I see a lot of people riding around on old bikes. How do they get them insured if everyone is arbitrarily not writing policies on 30+ yr bikes??

3 - Older bikes are insurable, however we request a safety and a professional appraisal, 99.9% of the people don't want to bother with it as it going to cost money(good appraisal can cost $300), the word gets that insurance companies don't want to insure the bike, which is not the case.

okay. i don't mind paying for the additional risk of riding, i get that. I just don't understand why in a household of 2 riders (my wife and I) and 3 bikes why the additional premium for a 3rd,4th,5th,whatever bike is just as much as if I were to go out and get a new policy for it independently of the others.....

It's no different from inuring 3 cars with only 2 drivers.

Back
Top Bottom