Very first ride? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Very first ride?

S

SlayerofSouls

Hey,

Well my story is pretty complicated, to sum up, I moved back to Toronto after moving to the middle east for three years. The day I landed, I got my m1 and the next day did the safety course through learning curves.

Anyway, I have been waiting anxiously for my insurance premium to drop (july 14), my first ride will be next week.

Any tips on getting started?

I live on queen and bathurst and plan to drive queen street eastward to the same parking lot I used for the safety course. Straight road.. pretty simple.

Where should I go from there?

I will re-read the g1 handbook, as driving in the middle east vs the civilized part of the world is very different. So i have to remind my self to stop before tramps, school bus rules etc etc.

I was nervous too because I had taken my course last year and only just now gotten a bike. Try to avoid too much traffic the first time you go out.

Remember to look where you want to go. I found myself in a mild panic as I was taking a corner a little too fast. I found myself looking at the curb thinking "Oh no I'm gunna hit it", then I looked down the street and it turned out fine. Close call, but I will be entering corners a lot more carefully now.

How did you refresh your skills?

I know even after the riding course I will need to do a lot of practice to get comfortable.

What skills? :lol:

I dunno the only real thing I needed to practice was braking. Oh and learning to use (and turn off) the signals because on course we only did hand signals. I live in the burbs so I just went around a neighborhood or two and practiced turning left and right. Then I went on more open back roads to get used to high speeds (and bugs splatting on my visor).

Im fine with gear changes, push steering.

But what I know I really need to master is the slow speed turns, figure 8s, z turns, check mirrors, head turns and now that you brought it up.. signals as well.

Main priority is to get used to the stabilization technique - clutch for speed in and out of friction zone, throttle and rear break for stability.

I went out on saturday for my first 2 hour ride. Left the house at 6am and returned around 8am. Didn't have to deal with too much traffic, saw some other bikes and a classic car cruise. Best time of day to ride.

if u can ride on sunday or week night after 12am roads are dead odds r it will seem like its just u out and practice just have full gear on u will drop the bike or go down atleast once while learning

lol trams....

I still have my m1 although I did a safety course so midnight riding is not possible, although it would be fun as hell. Thats what I am looking forward to the most actually. To have the option of ripping the streets at 2am.

Ill probably do the 6am ride.

if u can ride on sunday or week night after 12am roads are dead odds r it will seem like its just u out and practice just have full gear on u will drop the bike or go down atleast once while learning
You're so positive :p

Just do side streets, stick to low speeds and get comfortable with everything. I had always intended to hit up a parking lot, but that went out the window when my first ride over 20 minutes ended up being me having to ride my bike home from Richmond Hill to Mississauga on the 407 in the rain.

2010 Ninja 250 with 2400km not in 100% condition, few minor scratches.

4200, but paid full tax on the bike.

IMG-20110713-00105.jpg

Nice bike, no matter what, you will never get a used bike that's perfect in every aspect. It looks clean in the pic, just maintain it and take care of your new toy.

Congrats and ride safe.

First ride done.

Did some laps around queens park at 5.30am then went to the docks, and finally around downtown.

Wow, not as scary as I thought. I just never drove in Canada, so the rules are going to take some getting used to.

First ride done.

Did some laps around queens park at 5.30am then went to the docks, and finally around downtown.

Wow, not as scary as I thought. I just never drove in Canada, so the rules are going to take some getting used to.
Yes, rules are important. Learn Right of Way and never forget that you should never stop in the middle of an intersection if there's traffic. Stop before you enter. I see far too many people doing this these days and it's irritating.

First ride done.

Dont worry about the rules since no one follows them here. Just watch out for stupid people who will pull some of the dumbest moves imaginable

Stop before you enter, but once the light is green you entered correctly and wait for the available opportunity to take a left?

Is that not correct?

Back
Top Bottom