Versys 300 or cb500x | GTAMotorcycle.com

Versys 300 or cb500x

Chrispy

Shopping for a replacement to my ninja 300. Power wise I'm happy with my ninja.. Really doing this for a more upright position as my backs not holding up on longer 2up rides. Any inputs appreciated. Thanks!

FZ07...great upright sitting position...pegs are directly below which makes it easy to stand up on to stretch the legs out...great low end torque...never had a pillion with me, but i'm sure it'd be capable...very light (my 2015 is under 400 lbs wet but no ABS) and lots of fun in sweepers...go sit on one...

@TK4 sorry typo, meant to be 500x

@ifiddles sat on one before, but insurance jumps a bit too much so I'm keeping it sub 500

@jc100 sorry to add, I have looked into both. About $15 difference. So I've narrowed it down to these 2.

Just curious to know if one is bettrr than the other or more or less the same. I do 80% city, 20% highway if we get outta town, but been limited to a 3hr to and back ride on the ninja.

Reactions: TK4
Honda has sold a ton of bikes with that 500cc parallel twin
completely bulletproof motor

sounds like you're pretty much always on paved roads
no need for the spoked wheels and sudo-ADV of the little versys

CB500X with it's ADV styling on a street bike and larger motor I think would suit you better
especially as you mention riding 2-up

Reactions: TK4
471 cc ( astonishing ). 5k rpm at 104 kph, 450 km per tank, 60 mpg real.
I just came finish a 9,000 km cross country on Monday and I'm 71 so you can tour it wherever you fancy....light to handle in traffic and upright seating makes keeping situation aware easier. Nice move up.
Read the review
Honda CB500X Review | Motorcycle Tests | MCNews.com.au

Insurance should be pretty good. Check with Chris.
Christopher South, R.I.B. (Ont), CIP
Insurance Broker, SurNet Insurance Group Inc.
csouth@surnet.net P: 416-546-8969

There was a thread on the Versys vs CB500x ...fuel mileage better than the 300 and lower rpms at highway speeds. The 500x will go all day at 120-130 kph ...ask me how I know ;)

They are both good choices, competitive in almost every area. Each has their pluses and minuses -- read any of the million reviews and rider comparisons to get a good feel for what's going to work for you. The biggest difference is probably the price, the Kawi is about 3K more if you finance for 60 months with compatible options.

@Mad Mike hey there! Ya I've read a lot of reviews comparing the 2 but thought I'd try to get some insights from fellow Torontonians. Also kawi 3k more? Im noticing the Honda being more expensive due to msrp

@Mad Mike hey there! Ya I've read a lot of reviews comparing the 2 but thought I'd try to get some insights from fellow Torontonians. Also kawi 3k more? Im noticing the Honda being more expensive due to msrp
Ooops! I meant to say the Kawi is about $3K less.

@Mad Mike haha ok that's what I thought. Yes the price definitely is more attractive. Plus I'm so used to the ninja that it'll be easy to adapt. I have a friend looking out for me, '16+ cb or v300x. It'll be whichever comes first unless I'm convinced one over the other.

If you're contemplating any off highway (gravel, dirt, fire roads etc) any year for the Versys will do, '19 and later for the CB.

CBX before 2019 is a street CB dressed to look like ADVs - plastics and handlebars were changed, nothing else. Starting in '19 Honda upgraded the wheels and suspension to compete with the light ADVs from Kawi, Suzuki, BMW and KTM.

if you are contemplating actually going anywhere on your bike other than city streets and dirt roads,.....the choice is simple. 40552

if you are contemplating actually going anywhere on your bike other than city streets and dirt roads,.....the choice is simple. View attachment 40552
I don't know that the choice is simple -- either would do for me -- I'd have a hard time deciding. I like the price and ruggedness of the Kawi, I like the dependability and economy of the Honda. They are both 'little guys' in the MC and ADV world and have similar performance despite the differences in their mills.

We all have our bias. You ride a CBX, you have been thru the decision process and that works best for you. I too had to decide, I chose something else because neither the VersysX or CBX met my needs for comfort, ruggedness and performance. OP will need to decide.

Honda has sold a ton of bikes with that 500cc parallel twin
completely bulletproof motor

For what it’s worth, I have a CB500F with the same engine and agree that it can handle highway speeds without issue, as MacDoc noted. I can’t speak for the 300, but I came from a Ninja 250 to the CB and found the extra power was very welcome on the highway and even riding downtown everyday. On the ninja doing 115 I often felt like the bike didn’t have much more to give and it would be a couple k away from Redline.

Clearly I’m biased towards the Honda, but both are probably great for your needs

CB500x here

First few years i mainly did commuting + touring on weekends
Then i did commuting and dirt roads (hard packed gravel, some fire roads, some GNARLY fire roads too) all that on 90/10 tires. Stock wheels. And i'm by no means an experienced off road rider. Very versatile.

Now my problem, i've had the bike for 4-5 years and upgrading to the 700s doesn't seem like enough
I'm eyeing 800 and 900 categories, but i shouldn't as now i mainly commute on the bike, no more touring for this guy.

On the ninja doing 115 I often felt like the bike didn’t have much more to give and it would be a couple k away from Redline.

That's the problem ...who wants to ride highway speeds at 7k rpm + - OP is showing no interest in off pavement where the V300 has some advantage.

CB500X owner here, went from a SV650N to the CB last year. Alot of people told me not to "downgrade" and i would miss the power, even had sales guy at a dealer say it was a huge mistake and the SV is better. SV was a great bike, though being a naked with no wind protection, my legs being cramped, fuel range being so so, and engine still being a bit vibey, plus I wanted to do more touring/gravel/dirt roads and the CB fit the bill.

I can get close to 450km on a tank of gas, it's fairly light and nimble, smooth engine, and you can find used ones on Kijiji in like new condition. I'd get a used one for $6k and under. Or the 2019 and throw on the Rally raid spoked wheels/skid plate and call it a day. Only bike I'd consider replacing this with is the Yamaha T700 or a used KTM 990, different beasts.

Also call for insurance, my rates went up on the CB, even if I went from a 650cc Naked, to a 500cc ABS CB. I was peeved, thinking it would for sure be lower.

Take everything the motorcycle salesman tells you under advisement. On average they don't know crap and can't ride for beans, they are first and foremost sales people looking to make money off you.

Back
Top Bottom