Vermont - Val d'Or - Temagami - Huntsville - Perth - Vermont | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vermont - Val d'Or - Temagami - Huntsville - Perth - Vermont

Michel

I ride, paddle, sing, sometimes at the same time
Site Supporter
That's the general gist of the 7 day tour I'm planning to take a bunch of American friends on at the end of June. I have not done this trip before so I'm hoping you have some suggestions for me. They are older, experienced riders for the most part with big BMW's... (I'll be on a 2001 1150gs)

- We could take the 117 to Val d'Or but is that road boring? We could also do a detour one one of the smaller roads (from say Fort Coulonge north along the Chemin de Bois Franc through, but are those roads paved? (I can't tell from GoogleMaps.)
- We're not camping, but will my American friends hate me for the bugs (last week of June)
- Any cool accommodations or attractions we should consider?
- Suggestions or cautions?

Thanks!!!!!!!

I did much of the route Huntsville - Val d'Ore - Gatineau last fall
see my post:
Sept. 5-8
Quebec roads can be interesting! Either they are good or extremely awful.
A lot of re-paving going on last year before the Provincial Election.
They seem not to fill cracks and those can wash out in the rain.
I seen some 4 inches wide by 4 inches deep.
If you are on a bad section don't ride in the car/truck tire tracks.
Beware of red paint on the roads.
Don't let this scare you away. Just take care.
I can send you maps in .gps or .kml format.
I use Open Source Maps that show shading on non paved roads.
I also have riden a lot in the Perth - Rideau Lakes area.

Where in Vermont? Are you going via New York and Ontario or up to Montreal?

According to my info the Chemin de Bois Franc is unpaved starting about 15 km north east of Fort Coulonge.
Val d'Ore and Rouyn-Noranda are mining towns. Need I say more!
I am glad I did the trip but will probably never do it again.
I prefer the Mount Tremblant area.
I had no issues with bugs but that was mid September.
Quebec has higher speed limits than Ontario but far more radar and roaming police cars.

I went from Val D'or down to ottawa on hwy 117. I enjoyed it. Very scenic. There are a few road side picnic areas with tables for breaks. Roads were smooth. I've been wanting to go back. No cell service for most of it when I was there a few years back.

I think you can expect bugs. We always do and then arn't disappointed if they don't show.

thanks all. super helpful!

I'd probably head across 17 from North Bay to Perth. The stretch of 11 south of north bay is like a 400 series highway... boring. 60 east is a nice easy ride.. but a but boring too.

Maybe this. There's a nice picnic spot in Griffith, just up Hyland Creek Road with Toilet facilities. I'm not sure if the Dorset lookout is open.
Huntsville to Perth

Edit: Dorset tower opens Victoria Day. I've ridden from Perth to Griffith, and conditions are great. There was some salt near Griffith early last week, but it's rained since then.

Last edited:
how about the top end of Algonquin park... do you know if the road to Barron Canyon is paved?

how about the top end of Algonquin park... do you know if the road to Barron Canyon is paved?
I couldn't say. I haven't even been to the Brent crater yet, and most of my paddling is south of highway 60. @shanekingsley might know.

Back
Top Bottom