Vermont. 3-4 day trip...help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vermont. 3-4 day trip...help

7up

Site Supporter
Hi All
I need help from anyone who knows some of the good roads and "must do's" while in the area. Along with any warnings too!
I did find some great info on the "3 day trip leaving from Kingston" thread and I thank those for sharing some great routes.
I will being staying in the one place though , Stowe VT, for a "Mountain Bike Adventure" and will be with my wife and kids.
While looking at the scenic photos my wife came up with the brilliant idea that I ride out to Vermont so that I can also enjoy the motorcycling it has to offer as well! And as she and the girls enjoy the resort and the horse drawn thingamajig, I will have plenty of time to venture out for some riding during our stay. (if I survive the mountain bike part that is.:()
So each loop will have to start in Stowe and have me back at point "A" in several hours.
I (we) will also be stopping for a night in Kingston on the way home so will have some time to hit some scenic stuff on the way back too.
Thanks in advance.:thumbleft:

P.S. I do have MapSource so if you have a route on file...

I did a 5 day trip from Barrie that got me all the way out to the Maine & Massachusetts coast with the highlights in Vermont & New Hampshire. I wish I could remember exactly where the great spots are, it is tough to pick out the best of over 3,000 km. Here are some highlights that should be well within reach on a one day ride out of Stowe. In no particular order:
- 9N north of Bolton Landing - the section that goes through the Park
- Sections of NH-112 as it goes through the White Mountains
- Hurricane Mountain Road - short but amazing! Like being in the UK
If you are riding there & back: the road through Lake Placid gets nice in the Park to East

I used the motorcycleroads.us site that killerkeith duggested to pick some of my routes & for the most part found it a helpful resource. Have a safe trip!

The Museum in Blue Mountain Lake will take the better part of a day and is WELL WORTH the stop. A nice route from there down route 28, then one of the best roads both twisty and scenic with great stops is route 8 from route 28 to route 9n is amazing. Route 9N along the lake is also amazing and you will Love it.

You must ride #100 in Vermont, it is referred to as "The Skiers Highway" because it links most of the resorts in the state. It winds through the mountains in a more or less north-south direction through the middle of the state.

We went for a three day ride last summer and stayed in Lake George, New York. We crossed at Kingston using the ferry and then used 3, 30 and 28 to get down to Lake George. The next day we followed 9N north and crossed into Vermont at Chimney Point. I think the bridge might be open by now, last summer they were running a free ferry. From there we took 17 east over the mountains. At the top you ride past one of the chair lifts at Mad River Glen Ski Resort. We then rode south on 100 down to the Killington / Rutland area and took 4 / 149 back to Lake George. Every road was fantastic and we wished we had more time to continue south on 100.

If you are staying in the Rutland area you might want to head down to Bromley Mountain Resort. They claim to have the longest zip line in the east. It is 1/2 mile long, drops 700 feet and you hit 50 mph on the way down. Bromley is located on #11, just east of Manchester Centre. I have skied there and seen the zip line; however, I have not tried it.

There are no bad roads in Vermont. Have a great time.

You must ride #100 in Vermont, it is referred to as "The Skiers Highway" because it links most of the resorts in the state. It winds through the mountains in a more or less north-south direction through the middle of the state.

Totally agree. 100 is spectacular.

I'd recommend staying away from Rte 2, running east/west between Montpelier and St Johnsbury. I'm the "3 day trip from Kingston" OP. June 23rd weekend, Rte 2 was slow with quite a bit of construction. It'll be a nice road once the construction is complete (and without the line-up of cars), but based on the condition it was in a few weeks ago it won't be complete for a while.

+1 to 9N in New York State, although I only did it from Bridge Rd/VT185 (a bit south of Port Henry, NY) on the way towards Lake Placid.

Thanks everyone! This is exactly the stuff I was hoping to hear about. I am looking even more forward to the trip now that I have an idea of what roads to get to and can plan the routes to get me onto as many as possible.

Thanks again,
Dave

Go to Gorham New Hamphire (home of Mount Washington) the most spectacular mountain in the east. Hwy 2 will get you there in 2 and 1/2 hrs. I suggest you find hwy 112 (kankamangus hwy) and ride it as part of your route.

Just a quick thanks for everyones input.
Got back today and the trip was fantastic. I did not get to some of the "must dos"...Kancamagus Hwy & Mt. Washington but enjoyed myself so much that I will no doubt return to VT to get to them next year.
Unfortunately after a relatively long day of riding through seemingly endless road construction/delays along NY3 (Lake Placid) the skies opened up just as I got on 9N on my way to Stowe VT on the other side of the lake. 17 to 100 was a great road but severely damaged from the storms/flooding from last year.
100,12,14,15,2,....all fantastic roads but 108 aka Mountain Rd. through Smugglers Notch....absolutely spectacular.

Just a quick thanks for everyones input.
Got back today and the trip was fantastic. I did not get to some of the "must dos"...Kancamagus Hwy & Mt. Washington but enjoyed myself so much that I will no doubt return to VT to get to them next year.
Unfortunately after a relatively long day of riding through seemingly endless road construction/delays along NY3 (Lake Placid) the skies opened up just as I got on 9N on my way to Stowe VT on the other side of the lake. 17 to 100 was a great road but severely damaged from the storms/flooding from last year.
100,12,14,15,2,....all fantastic roads but 108 aka Mountain Rd. through Smugglers Notch....absolutely spectacular.

+1 for Smuggler Notch, I went there last month. Amazing road!

Sounds Like you had a great trip! :) Next Time drop down across the 1000 islands Bridge and head through the adirondacks

Back
Top Bottom