Velocity Naked Leather Jacket Review | GTAMotorcycle.com

Velocity Naked Leather Jacket Review

AF4iK

Site Supporter
Finally got the opportunity to ride in the Velocity Naked Leather Jacket I bought from Jimmy recently and thought I'd post an initial review since none seem to exist. I'd like to point out in advance that this is my first leather riding jacket. I've owned a couple of mesh jackets but never leather. I'll update this review later in the season after I've had more time in it.

Fit
I'm a somewhat stocky build--wide in the shoulders, short legs--so it's difficult to find clothes that fit me just right. I'm approx 5' 9" and weight varies between 185 - 200 (clothed) depending on the season. I purchased a size 44 which fits snug-tight when wearing a sweater. Primary use will be cooler days.
Sleeves: about an inch too long but are fine with shorty gloves. I plan to have them shortened a bit so that they fit into gauntlets but this is likely to be a non-issue for those with longer arms. I do find that the arm pits ride up quite high but it's not an issue while riding. This may be typical of sport jackets (I don't know) but I'm getting used to it.
Shoulders: width is perfect but I did have to spend a few minutes adjusting the foam armour. There's no direct access to it so you have to stick your hand up through the back protector pocket to reach it. A minor hassle but it's a one-time adjustment that you never have to worry about again. All other protection was positioned nicely "out of the box" and stays put.
Torso: Length feels nearly perfect. Personally, I could use another 1/4 - 1/2" in the rear but that's mostly being self-conscious. Visually, it looks completely proportional. The waist was a perfect fit off-the-rack but appears to have plenty of room for adjustment using the velcro straps.

Features & Quality
I was surprised at how soft the leather is! All of the other jackets I'd previously tried were very stiff and hard. Even my buddy's Dainese Alien jacket felt stiff by comparison. Initially, this gave me some concern as to the abrasion resistance of the leather. But Jimmy assured me that it is a full grain cow hide with comparable abrasion resistance as other cow hide jackets on the market. I believe him but let's hope I don't have to test that statement!

Other features of note:
- Zip-out vest liner
- Kevlar stretch panels along the inside of each arm allow excellent range of movement
- 360 waist zipper
- Soft neckroll at the back of the collar (nice)
- Aluminum shoulder and elbow sliders. Additional exterior elbow padding.
- Conveniently positioned inner pocket for quick access to cell phone, wallet, etc

One thing you might notice that this jacket lacks is zippered vents. This isn't a problem for me because I intend to wear it on cooler days and prefer the clean look. The stretch panels along the inner-arms seem to allow a good amount of air to pass through as it is. I'll have to assess the airflow again when the weather warms up.

Update 5/7/2013
- With the warm weather we've had lately, I've had a a chance to assess the jacket in ~24 C dry temps. So far, very good. I took a couple of 4 hour rides and never felt hot until I got off the bike. I was wearing a t-shirt underneath with the liner out. The stretch panels let in enough air to keep me comfortable on the move. I thought I would have switched to mesh by now but I'll continue wearing the leather until summer is in full swing. Quite happy.

Conclusion
I'm very happy with this jacket. I feel it offers a level of quality and features typically found in more expensive jackets making it an excellent value. As far as aesthetics, I love the way it looks. Not flashy yet retaining that purpose-built look. I feel well protected in this jacket and look forward to riding in it for years to come.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom