V Star 950 or 1100? | GTAMotorcycle.com

V Star 950 or 1100?

Hammer

Yamaha has dropped the 1100 from the line up...

which would be your choice and why? the 950 or 1100
I'm buying used so, neither would be new...

i'm tall and heavy also..

any help would be appreciated

The 950 appears to have a "modern" look for a cruiser compared to the 1100 models. I'd probably want to compare the differences between the 950 and the 1300 as they have similar profiles but, weight/handling etc would be the deciding factor for me.

From my arm chair observations, the 950 would probably due just fine solo but, if you did more 2 up, the 1300 would be the way to go. Then again, there is quite a difference in list price too.

I prefer cast wheels over spoke too.

Had an 1100 custom for years. When replacement time came round went out for a couple of test runs with the 950. Just couldn't do it. LOVED the look. On paper everything is similar, but real ride - too small and although not necessarily underpowered, missed the pull of the 1100. Also, the triangle (seat, bars, footpegs) on the 950 was tighter. Hard to compare as i had 4" extensions on mine, but the 950 definitely felt smaller.

All depends though on what you are looking for in a cruiser ...

Good luck

I have the 1100 and LOVE IT!

Been told anything smaller has the same weight but a smaller engine. The 650 has been described to me as being unable to get out of its own way.

I've had my 1100 for a few years. ONce in a while, I contemplate another ride; just can't seem to ditch it, though. Hard to describe. . .sounds cheeze; but some bikes have a kind of emotional feel to them; others are just bikes. The 1100 definitly has the former. I rode the 950 and the 1300 -- they are like the latter. Very comfortable rides on both - they remind me of my buddy's C50 -- a bike you could easily ride for a while and be so comfortable that you say "wait a minute. . .what were those last 5 miles like?" cause you just zone out. They just don't have any unique appeal at all (for me, anyway). There are times when I'll ride a bike and realize I like riding. There are other bikes I'll ride and think to myself, "Self, I love riding this machine". I didn't get any kind of 'kick' out of riding the 950 or 1300. Though the 1100 handles like a pig at slow speeds (not as bad as the roadliner) I like a bike with a unique feel. Other than the slow speed stuff, a great bike. Every mechanic i've talked to loves them too, and all tend to say they'd take the 1100 over the others in the lineup anyday.

Having said that, many love thier smooth creature comforts, and the modern niceities of say. . .fuel injection (don't have it on my 05), a gas guage (not a huge deal to me anyway) and liquid cooling (never saw the need on a cruiser). I like that the 1100 seems almost like a throwback bike. . .and I like the look of the custom -- it just exudes cool.

But hey, they're all nice machines. whichever you wind up choosing I'm sure you'll be happy.

I realize this is an old thread but I just picked up my 950 and been riding it for nearly two weeks now. I'm pretty tall and got a few extra lbs in weight but the 950 is more than capable of dragging me around :)
I considered the 1100 but wanted to keep the insurance down a little (new rider and all that)

Hope this helps OR hope you are enjoying whichever you picked...

Last edited:
I ended up picking up a Katana 600...

super comfy and way cheaper then a vstar... (cost and insurance)

didn't think i'd like a "sport" bike but am loving it

I ended up picking up a Katana 600...

super comfy and way cheaper then a vstar... (cost and insurance)

didn't think i'd like a "sport" bike but am loving it

Just a bit different then the original bike you were asking about :happy3:

Rock solid bikes those are, had 2 friends with '89 junker katanas, like sat outside for years with out use, then some simple maintenance and they went everywhere I went on my "modern" bikes. PA, NY, N. Ontario.... they just went. Little hiccups here and there, but never left stranded, and both rolled over 100K.

Enjoy the new ride!

Back
Top Bottom