Using generic grip heaters with oxfords controller | GTAMotorcycle.com

Using generic grip heaters with oxfords controller

I used regular basic grip heaters under my stock grips. The Oxfords are a bit more robust looking, but my $20 (on sale) worked great. The low setting on the switch stopped working, but only ever useful on high anyways.

Just have to wire the throttle side with some free play for it's movement....so the joint from wire to pad don't break.

like these:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kimpex-heat-grip-kit-0260099p.html

Last edited:
I've used the el cheapo Canadian tire under grip ones in the past, but nowhere near as good as the Oxford's.

I've used the el cheapo Canadian tire under grip ones in the past, but nowhere near as good as the Oxford's.

Agreed. Used the cheapies for many years, they work, but the Oxford's are worth it.

I've always used grids under normal grips. I would check the resistance of the oxfords compared to the grids. If the resistance is similar, you should have no problem using the oxford controller.

Have you thought about glove liners?I've been happy with my oem grip heaters for years and just bought a new jacket liner to replace a bad one and the new one came with a pair of glove liners.WOW,are these things awesome.DSP had a good deal on the combo.https://www.dualsportplus.com/category_s/1980.htm

I bought that exact set from Amazon for my wifes bike and had them (via Prime) the next day, instead of waiting a month and a half to get them from China - by the time they arrived it'd be warm and my wife wouldn't need them.

Yes, I paid $10 more, but it was worth the lack of delay.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N9GQYH3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, there's one review saying they didn't work...but the ones I got work fine, I hooked them up to a battery to test them and they heated up super fast actually.

I haven't yet installed them but they look to be decent - the power switch is cheap (I'll use something else) and probably wouldn't last long but the grips themselves look decent.

I ran mine off the front signals. My signals have running lights. That way, they only can be used when the bike is running and shut off with the bike. Those only have one setting, but I only used mine on high anyways. How hot did they get?

Not sure about those heat resistant covers. Mine didn't have any. Seems counter productive, would cut down on the heat transmitted thru to your hands, no?

Last edited:
It's shrink tube.

The electrical tape holds the actual elements in place and the you shrink on the outer layer. I think heat should go through it easily.

I'm probably going to install my wife's tomorrow evening or Saturday so I'll post a few photos and the Results - cosmetics is my biggest question so far.

I didn't really test them for more than maybe six or eight seconds, during which they did heat up noticeably, but I never really checked to see exactly how hot they got.

Mine are adhesive backed, so no electric tape. I'd suggest using a spray adhesive instead of wrapping the heaters on with tape. Think throttle slip when turned. Remember to wire the throttle side with some free play for it's movement....so the joint from wire to pad don't break. Google that.

The Hi/low settings just use a resistor on mine. What controls the current on the Oxford controller, a rheostat?

PP, be careful testing the heating elements without the handlebar as a heatsink. I've seen a post where they curled up and melted themselves very quickly.

I had a set of the older Kimpex heated grip elements. I think they pulled about half the amps of the Oxfords, and the heat output was proportionally reduced compared to the Oxfords that I replaced them with. But for $5 or $10 for the generic kind you can't go wrong.

Seems like you could used the Oxford controller for generic heating elements....but I'd just use the 2 stage switch that comes with it.

Seems like you could used the Oxford controller for generic heating elements....but I'd just use the 2 stage switch that comes with it.

The switch provides full power in either power setting, they use a resistor to lower the power received at the grip. The power draw is the same regardless of setting. The oxford controller has 4 levels of heat and only draws the amps that it needs. My worry is that the oxford controller may be damaged by or damage the heat wafers.

Yeah, the resistor is the white little brick. If the controller actually controls the draw, don't see why it wouldn't work. It wouldn't damage the heating elements, they just get less current. Unless the high setting on the controller outputs more than the heat elements can handle.....

it adjusts how much it draws so if it's on low the voltage drop isn't as high as if it's on high. 4 different settings, turns it's self off if your battery voltage drops too low but mine are fed off a relay

ad87d2097fb84b0ef9bed4517da1d2fe.jpg

I have the same thing. It operates by pulsing the power on /off (pulse width modulation). On higher heat setting, the on pulse is active longer. On lower heat setting the duration of the on pulse is shorter. In other words, it's like flicking a light switch on/off.

My controller is good for 10amps. And the original Oxford grips had 5~6 ohms of resistance.

If you want similar heat output, find some elements that are close to 5 ohms. If you go with lower resistance, the grips can get hotter, and higher resistance elements will not get as hot.

Back
Top Bottom