Used Triumph Tiger 1050 or new Vstrom 650? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Used Triumph Tiger 1050 or new Vstrom 650?

jc100

OK..I promise I'll stop posting this stuff eventually when I choose a bike.

So the difference between a used 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS with 12k kms on it and a similarly equipped new 2012 V-Strom 650 is less then a thousand bucks. The V-strom is just a little more depending on if you get the SE or adventure version. These are both ABS bikes, both have luggage, Tiger has heated grips (also has an Arrow exhaust), Vstrom has adjustable windshield. I appreciate the engines couldn't be more different in displacement or character.

Which would you choose? I know the Vstrom for 2012 is a bit of an upgrade over the 2011 ones. Both places will give me a reasonable trade in value for my old bike.

My old bike is a 2006 Z750S. From what I read the Tiger is sportier than the VStrom but the Vstrom could handle off road a little easier. Again, my riding is going to be 90%highway/backroads but I want the option of going down hard packed or gravel non-paved roads where necessary. I want a comfy seating position and long distance comforts.

Thanks in advance again.

Personally I would go with the triumph. In terms of looks I prefer the Triumph. Both great machines though and you can customize to make them fit exactly how you want to use it. The one upgrade you wont be able to do down the road is adding some CC's. I would get the Tiger.

+1 for the Tiger. Though if you plan to do a lot of offroading, the lesser weight of the VStrom will be an advantage.
I've owned bikes with both of these engines (SV650 and currently a Sprint ST), and while I enjoyed both, the triple is better.

How about a Tiger 800 XC? This would be the best of both worlds -- triple engine, lighter weight and offroading abilities.

I have had the opportunity to ride both bikes.
Both are very capable machines, but the Tiger wins.........

I also ride a z750s. The Tiger does everything your zed will do and more. Both bikes are taller than your zed.
But you will love the Tigers power and comfort.

I've sat on both and picked the WeeStrom, but both were new at the time.

I'd go adventure over SE. I had a tip over and had to redo the two-tone paint on the SE bags. Also the SE bags aren't that big and the trunk sits too far forward.

Bike is great for riding for hours and hours and hours.

I have led rides that included long stretches of gravel roads. My zed, and the Tiger following behind us didn't have one problem with gravel or dirt.

Just because the bikes have street tires, doesn't mean that they are not allowed on dirt or gravel roads. It comes down to your comfort level on the dirt.

+1 for the Tiger. Though if you plan to do a lot of offroading, the lesser weight of the VStrom will be an advantage.
I've owned bikes with both of these engines (SV650 and currently a Sprint ST), and while I enjoyed both, the triple is better.

How about a Tiger 800 XC? This would be the best of both worlds -- triple engine, lighter weight and offroading abilities.

That 800XC is 3k more which is out of my range. The bikes I'm looking at are around the 10k$ mark.

I can't vouch for the Tiger, though I would definitely like to take one (or ANY Triumph bike really for that matter) out for a spin sometime.

That said, I love my '05 WeeStrom. It has its quirks, which come with having bought a used bike, but overall it's serving me quite well. Comfortably rode right through the winter, have put over 6,000km on it since November, and I can easily see doing 5x that this year if I have the time and funds to get out that much.

If there's something I need to do with this bike, it's get out on some dirt & gravel roads and really learn how I/the bike handle on it. I've been on such roads with the Ninja 250R and 650R before, and was nervous as hell -- the V-Strom should handle it a lot better, partly because of the Metzeler Tourance EXP tires it came with, but I must admit I still find dirt/gravel a bit unnerving and haven't pushed myself on it yet.

If you want feedback from someone who has quite a bit of experience with the Wee, get hold of V-Tom. He put over 200,000km on his '06 (it was '06 right?) and I believe he's just recently purchased a new 2012 model as well.

V-Strom. Proven bike, bulletproof, good dealer network, easy to find parts, huge aftermarket. There's a reason everyone has one.
I agree 100% + much lower maintenance cost (longer service intervals f.eg. valve adjustment). Either Tiger or Sprint don't have to good history record. Check some UK motorcycle sides. But, if you love power, Tiger is for you.

That 800XC is 3k more which is out of my range. The bikes I'm looking at are around the 10k$ mark.

I would get a mint V-Strom 1000 and pocket 5k in that case.

I have Tiger and I rode V-strom. Tiger blows it out of the water. One thing that V-strom is better at is lights but that can be fixed on Tiger. As for offroad if you are into it all you need is different tires on Tiger. For gravel or packed dirt Tiger is ok as it is. Deep sand is not so much fun but nothing on street tires will do it right. As for reliability I have 30k in 3 years and it was great. There was few hiccups that are more dealer fault than anything else in my opinion. If you go with tiger I think going west will get you better service. V-strom is fine bike and it will do anything you need it to but 1050 engine is blast and you will have all the comfort riding it too. check tiger1050.com for one of the best boards on internet.

Cheers!

G

Back
Top Bottom