Used throttle body? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Used throttle body?

arogal

Fi code 62 popped up my 2009 zx6r the other day. It's a subthrottle valve actuator. It's popped up 3 times since September, 2 times being within the last 500km. Only happens after cruising in 1st gear at slow speeds then cranking it open a bit. Fi light will come on and then it idles around 4000rpm. Turn bike off, and it runs perfectly fine again once I turn it back on again.
I don't think the shop that did the valve clearance sync'd throttle bodies afterwards so I'm gonna get that re done first.
Unfortunately I can't just get a "subthrottle valve actuator" for my bike... Need to get an entire throttle body which is lots of money... $1500 give or take.
If I did need an entire new throttle body system, anyone know where I could find a used one other than ebay? I'm not caughing up that kinda cash and would rather just ride my bike how it is now than spend that much on a new oem Tb.
Thanks

... I don't think the shop that did the valve clearance sync'd throttle bodies afterwards ...
I'd me amazed if there is anything on the throttle body to adjust other then an idea screw.
Unless you have one of those crazy Fi systems that have 2 throttle valves in one throttle body and vacuum operates one of them.

Found a service manual reference to vacuum control and sync for your bike :| looks like you do have one of those, carry on.

Found a service manual reference to vacuum control and sync for your bike :| looks like you do have one of those, carry on.
Ya I was looking through the service manual also. I think if the subthrottle valve actuator was shot it would always be finicky/not working rather than very intermittent (3 times since September). TB sync, check vacuum lines, and test the subthrottle actuator Friday morning.
If I did need a whole new throttle body, I'll need to find a is d one somewhere tho as OEM is just way too much $$. But I always get a bit sketchy with ebay items shipped from USA

Remember that it is easy to trouble-shoot an engine with multiple carbs or throttle bodies, all you need to do is switch them around and the problem will go to a different cylinder ;)
Vacuum controlled slides can hang up badly, any dirt that makes it past the air filter seems to end up there.

Similar issue that I had on my 06 zx6, synching the throttle bodies and cleaning them , solved the issue... Because of the k&n air filter, oil from it got to the throttle body valves along with some dirt making them stick open sometimes, and also had a small vacuum leak from a cracked hose, all that was causing the FI light to come on.

Similar issue that I had on my 06 zx6, synching the throttle bodies and cleaning them , solved the issue... Because of the k&n air filter, oil from it got to the throttle body valves along with some dirt making them stick open sometimes, and also had a small vacuum leak from a cracked hose, all that was causing the FI light to come on.
I have a K&N Filter also....and the first time I got the FI light was 3 weeks after the filter was put in, hmmmm. Did you pull code 62 also?
Throttle sync and cleaning of the TB's will be done on Friday.

Go with the OEM filter, you don't need that K&N filter. Probably losing HP because of it.

I do not remember if it was code 62 to be honest, as this was a few years back. The thing with the k&n filters when they are new I find that they have way to much oil on them... also once you’re in there cleaning the bodies it’s a good time to check the hoses

Go with the OEM filter, you don't need that K&N filter. Probably losing HP because of it.
I gained HP and my AF ratio is dead straight. I threw the K&N filter in immediately before Spoeedlab tuned my bike last summer.
Would have just kept the stock filter if I wasn't getting a dyno tune.

I gained HP and my AF ratio is dead straigh

You gained, but now you are losing.

How much HP did you gain from that filter, probably subjective anyways depending on the day, time and weather etc etc.

Ever since a crappy exp with a racing filter on a old ZX9 i've always ran OEM street or track. The gains aren't worth it.

You gained, but now you are losing.

How much HP did you gain from that filter, probably subjective anyways depending on the day, time and weather etc etc.

Ever since a crappy exp with a racing filter on a old ZX9 i've always ran OEM street or track. The gains aren't worth it.
I gained 5whp, which really isn't much. I was just going off what a lot of people on the ZX6R forum did before they tuned their bike. I didn't read much up on the filters doing any harm. Won't bother on my next bike. Won't know if there is any oil in the throttle bodies till Friday. I'll let you know once they are inspected.

imho You have a small amount of control over airflow with foam oiled filters, if they are too restrictive squeeze them out more. Felt filters, wash and re-apply the filters oil with less vigor.
Paper filters are not so good if you live on or frequent dirt roads ymmv.
... you are also suppose to have a flame screen next to the oiled filter so that blowback doesn't catch your filter on fire.
so yes, an oiled filter with too much oil on it can cause multiple problems, but they perform exceptionally well in harsh environments if serviced well.

Back
Top Bottom