US Insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

US Insurance

RoadHogg

A little something to think about when you claim you want their costs and coverage. Taken from another board with the users permission.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so I was in an accident almost three months ago. Broke my left femur. Long story short, the other driver was at fault according to myself, witnesses, and the police report. I ran a claim through the other drivers insurance and hired an attorney to handle my case.

Right now I owe a little over $60,000 in medical bills, and about $3,000 of 3 months worth of personal bills (i'm on medical leave, go back to work next week).

I got a call from my attorney today and she told me that:

- the adjuster wont give her a policy limit. It may be $25,000 or it may be $50,000. My attorney has to send her my medical report and then they will give us that information

- They're giving me $7600 for damages. I owe $6800 on the bike (3 month old bike) so I get to keep $800. Hooray

- She will call MY insurance and see if I have underinsured motorist. She said that that's basically my only hope to cover some of the costs. F*CK.

I really hate to sound like all I want is money out of this, but I had a titanium rod surgically implanted into my femur to hold it together. It will forever be there and when I get old and my bones get smaller, it will cause a sever limp and pain. It's been 3 months and I still have limited mobility. I lost my beautiful R1, have creditors now after me for unpaid medical bills, and permanent muscle disfigurement.

At this point I'm not really sure what to think or what actions to take or what to tell my attorney. It is truly unfair that I get hit by some moron on a phone and he continues to live life at peace while I have bills up the *****, permanent disabilities, three months + taken away from me from doing things that I love. This sucks.

My question is: If they have their policy limit at a given amount, can I still take them to trial and get money from them for lost wages, permanent disfigurement, pain and suffering, etc. etc.? Or is that policy limit the absolute most that they will pay out no matter what? I'm really not sure how any of that works.

If any of you have any experience with dealing with insurance companies or have had a similar expericence please comment or pm me any info that can help me out. It is GREATLY appreciated!

Ride safe everyone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lived in Michigan which is a not at fault state much like Ontario. When I came here I had statefarm give similar insurance to what I had over there including uninsured/underinsured motorist. No issues.
This guy didn't have that coverage for an extra couple bucks a month and evidently no health insurance. Bad decision on his part.

Are all provinces not at fault? I know in Quebec if the driver dies they will only payout something like $150000 to his family no matter what......pretty sad.

I lived in Michigan which is a not at fault state much like Ontario. When I came here I had statefarm give similar insurance to what I had over there including uninsured/underinsured motorist. No issues.
This guy didn't have that coverage for an extra couple bucks a month and evidently no health insurance. Bad decision on his part.

Are all provinces not at fault? I know in Quebec if the driver dies they will only payout something like $150000 to his family no matter what......pretty sad.

Just pointing out what can happen on the basic US coverage that so many glorify and want.

if you are insured in ontario you have un-insured motorist coverage. Its a standard part of a policy you can't drop

can I still take them to trial and get money from them for lost wages, permanent disfigurement, pain and suffering, etc. etc.?

yes, the min. liab. covers UP TO, the limit, anything over and above is the defendants responsibility, much like in canada.

this is why having the min.$200k min. liab. coverage (for bikes) is a bad idea.

I hope every single person, who has ever bashed our system here in Ontario, reads and understands the ramifications of this incident.

Basically, the guy with the broker femur is largely screwed. Big deal, he may end up with $25000 or $50 000 in his pocket, that won't put a dent in his medical bills, physio therapy bills, lost wages etc....

And a broken femur in a motorcycle accident, that's not bad, he got off lucky. Imgaine if he was a quadraplegic. He'd spend $25000 on his first wheel chair.

I hope every single person, who has ever bashed our system here in Ontario, reads and understands the ramifications of this incident.

Basically, the guy with the broker femur is largely screwed. Big deal, he may end up with $25000 or $50 000 in his pocket, that won't put a dent in his medical bills, physio therapy bills, lost wages etc....

And a broken femur in a motorcycle accident, that's not bad, he got off lucky. Imgaine if he was a quadraplegic. He'd spend $25000 on his first wheel chair.

This was my point. If he had of been airlifted from there that would have taken the 25k in no time flat. Yes its expensive here, but if this happens you will be much better off!

Last edited:
Oh yea, and the hospital bill collectors want their money ASAP, They don't care about having to wait for insurance. They want him to pay now. This could be dragged out in court for a long time, and now because of some jerk on a cell he is financially ruined and going to suffer for a long time.

Again, he messed up. Just like people on this forum want minimum coverage, that can have big consequences. Any sensible person would get it for $5 a month. They can get the same coverage as here.
Besides, his big problem is medical bills, that's a health insurance issue, not motorcycle insurance. I had medical insurance through my employer, so not an issue for me. Medical insurance is available privately which he didn't get......to bad for him. He can declare bankrupcy and be on his way.
Comparing a at fault state to a non at fault province isn't an apple to apples comparison anyway. He will sue for millions.

Last edited:
Again, he messed up. Just like people on this forum want minimum coverage, that can have big consequences. Any sensible person would get it for $5 a month. They can get the same coverage as here.
Besides, his big problem is medical bills, that's a health insurance issue, not motorcycle insurance. I had medical insurance through my employer, so not an issue for me. Medical insurance is available privately which he didn't get......to bad for him. He can declare bankrupcy and be on his way.
Comparing a at fault state to a non at fault province isn't an apple to apples comparison anyway. He will sue for millions.

His fault or not, I wouldn't trade this great nation for theirs any day. Flying Spaghetti Monster bless Canada!!!

Back
Top Bottom