upper-middleweight naked review | GTAMotorcycle.com

upper-middleweight naked review

bigpoppa

No surprise other than the fact that yamaha seems to have sorted out its old suspension woes

Well, I guess it's a tradition to group bikes by CCs, but in my book F900R's competition is 600cc Japanese bikes - they have similar HPs and price. So no surprise that BMW is in the last place here really.

Still love my bike.

And to add: as a new rider, when I was shopping around, the only 900cc bike I checked, except for F900R, was Triumph Street Triple R and it felt like a lot of bike to handle for a new rider. The BMW felt a lot closer to Honda CB650R that I was also interested in.

That MT-09 headlight though... it hasn't gotten any prettier

And to add: as a new rider, when I was shopping around, the only 900cc bike I checked, except for F900R, was Triumph Street Triple R and it felt like a lot of bike to handle for a new rider. The BMW felt a lot closer to Honda CB650R that I was also interested in.
I am still slightly surprised that the standard for measuring engine sizes is CC. Even now, design philosophy can make a huge difference (eg 650 and 900 as direct competitors.) As more vehicles get turbo/electric, engine size becomes even less material. I thought we would move to something like peak torque or hp or something meaningful that allowed easy comparison between bikes in a class even if manufacturers picked vastly different ways to get to the end point.

Last edited:
I am still slightly surprised that the standard for measuring engine sizes is CC. Even now, design philosophy can make a huge difference (eg 650 and 900 as direct competitors.) As more vehicles get turbo/electric, engine size becomes even less material. I thought we would move to something like peak torque or hp or something meaningful that allowed easy comparison between bikes in a class even if manufacturers picked vastly different ways to get to the end point.
Is it a logical system? Nope. But given how highly resistant motorcycle insurance has been to implementing more granular ratings for specific bikes, just swapping CCs for HP classes probably will somehow work out to be not in our favour. I would imagine way, way more bikes would get surcharged as a result, once they suddenly learn that the difference between an S1000RR and an S1000XR isn't that big on paper

Is it a logical system? Nope. But given how highly resistant motorcycle insurance has been to implementing more granular ratings for specific bikes, just swapping CCs for HP classes probably will somehow work out to be not in our favour. I would imagine way, way more bikes would get surcharged as a result, once they suddenly learn that the difference between an S1000RR and an S1000XR isn't that big on paper
I agree, I am sure any change would be used as a opportunity to extort us. I wasn't necessarily talking about completely ignoring engine size but BP posted a review of motorbikes from a motorbike review site that picked which bikes to compare based on engine size.

Well, I guess it's a tradition to group bikes by CCs, but in my book F900R's competition is 600cc Japanese bikes - they have similar HPs and price. So no surprise that BMW is in the last place here really.

Still love my bike.
What your bike has is versatility in that it does everything well.

As you can see, they took a very basic model (lowest priced ) to the test and it was mostly about horse power race.
Add some BMW luggage and it is a touring bike and can take a passenger much more comfortably than any of them. It also has the best TFT in the business and is the best looking of the lot.

Enjoy your F9r, I put 95 k on my F800r and it was such a good bike.

Back
Top Bottom