Upcoming San Fransisco Trip | GTAMotorcycle.com

Upcoming San Fransisco Trip

woot

North or South from San Fransisco? Only looking for a day trip.

For a day trip it's wine to the north, breathtaking coastline to the south.

For a day trip it's wine to the north, breathtaking coastline to the south.
Mt Tamalpais looks interesting to the North. Reminds me of see to sky hwy in BC. South seems very similar to the coast north of cabo. I've been told to go to Monterrey but I definitely preferred BC to Baja.

Travelling south on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) also called US1, means you are on the side of the highway with unrestricted ocean view. If you travel north your view will be blocked by traffic. You may not think it a big deal, but it is. I travelled south to Mexico from SF and the views were unobscured and awesome.

If you want to take in wine country, only Napa and Sonoma are north, the rest are all in the south and the inland located Central Valley. So if you want to take in Napa and Sonoma start if possible further north and work your way down to SF.

I just got back from 6 day ride south from Seattle down coast.

1 day?

South from SF

It sounds like south is the correct answer

Looks like wildfires to the North and south. Trip is in 2 weeks, hopefully the air clears up.

Nothing wrong with a trip north for a single day either. I would think less chance of fires.

Where you renting from?

Go north over Golden Gate bridge. A little site seeing there. Screenshot_20191029-095631_Maps.jpg

Then up to US 1. Up the coast a little. Turn around and come back to go up and over Mt Tamalpais. Return on 101.

For renting and riding, south. I did that about 3 years ago and beautiful scenery. Coastline is more relaxed cruising but go a little east, mountain curves.

My only regret is renting a harley but that's more personal thing.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

For renting and riding, south. I did that about 3 years ago and beautiful scenery. Coastline is more relaxed cruising but go a little east, mountain curves.

My only regret is renting a harley but that's more personal thing.

Eaglerider SF only rents out Harley.

The BMW that I dropped there would have been shipped out to Seattle or Las Vegas asap.

Eaglerider SF only rents out Harley.

The BMW that I dropped there would have been shipped out to Seattle or Las Vegas asap.
Yeah I didn't have good experience with that shop.

There were a couple other locations (names escape me) that offer other makers though bit more expensive and limited mileage (400/day, which should be enough).

Another option:
I did Yosemite/Big Sur earlier in August and between the two (6+ hours down PCH to Big Sur vs 4 hours slabbing to Yosemite). Nature-wise, I felt like Yosemite was more impressive without going on extensive hikes.
I would skip Santa Cruz too, maybe Monterey would have been better..

That said, the ride to and from Yosemite to the west coast is quite boring.
Disclaimer: if you don't have time to go Yosemite and explore the eastern side/access, skip it, do it next time.

Nothing wrong with a trip north for a single day either. I would think less chance of fires.

Where you renting from?

Go north over Golden Gate bridge. A little site seeing there. View attachment 41320

Then up to US 1. Up the coast a little. Turn around and come back to go up and over Mt Tamalpais. Return on 101.
That's the exact route I was eyeing up up for going North, though the wild fires seem much worse to the North right now.
Will likely go to Monterey.

I'm renting a road glide from eagle rider. The Road King I rented in Mexico and it confirmed all of the bad feelings I had about Harley. Then I rented a post-rushmore Street Glide in BC and my opinion changed.

Looks like wildfires to the North and south. Trip is in 2 weeks, hopefully the air clears up.
This is what you need to look at just before you go or even when you get there. California Wildfire season is unpredictable in duration and areas that may be affected.

Back
Top Bottom