boyoboy

tried to cancel insurance off a car that has reached its end of life

insurance company won't cancel my insurance by phone

sent me a form to fill out and return to them

told me they cannot cancel my insurance until they receive this document

document sent to me by email - I don't have a printer

snail mail? just seems funny they won't let me do this by phone - my usual MO

never had this problem b4

I've never cancelled insurance for a car before...but it seems to be the norm - depending on the provider?

Depending on the file type - you may be able to edit it and save it.
Or if you have some pdf writing software - that may be an option as well?

They let me write a note to cancel, including my signature. I took a pic of that, emailed it, and they were satisfied.

tried to cancel insurance off a car that has reached its end of life

insurance company won't cancel my insurance by phone

sent me a form to fill out and return to them

told me they cannot cancel my insurance until they receive this document

document sent to me by email - I don't have a printer

snail mail? just seems funny they won't let me do this by phone - my usual MO

never had this problem b4
what? it only has to be written notice.

send them an email and tell them end of the month or something. sheesh, go fly a kite you kooks.

Frustrating, Yes. New normal, Yes.

I have retroactively cancelled a policy before. Not sure why they allowed it but they did. "I haven't driven vehicle X since July 1, 2020 and would therefore like to cancel my policy effective July 2, 2020". Seems like a wide open hole for abuse but I was telling the truth and they sent me a refund for the premiums paid after the policy was cancelled.

Do they have a fax machine or is that too obsolete :LOL:
some probably still use them
my bank does, only way to send them wire transfer instructions
health care industry still uses fax

my ins broker lately has been asking to have cancellation voucher returned
they will cancel the policy on a phone call, but want that doc for their files

Do they have a fax machine or is that too obsolete :LOL:
ive never had a fax machine lol
back when I had windows 3.1 with phone connected internet, I could send/receive a fax
my phone is w/o internet - I have a flip cell phone lol $28/month tax in - all Ont. talk and text
Im happy being somewhat of a luddite - I miss windows 3.1 lol
my email address is still hotmail.com lol

talked to my nieghbour who will print the document out for me this weekend - I'll sign and snail mail.
ty for letting me vent folks

Last edited:
I keep an electronic sig on file
drop it onto the proper field, save as PDF
then use this free service

shows up in the recipients machine with proper looking fax header
they never know that you didn't have the piece of paper in your hands

ive never had a fax machine lol
back when I had windows 3.1 with phone connected internet, I could send/receive a fax
my phone is w/o internet - I have a flip cell phone lol $28/month tax in - all Ont. talk and text
Im happy being somewhat of a luddite - I miss windows 3.1 lol
my email address is still hotmail.com lol

talked to my nieghbour who will print the document out for me this weekend - I'll sign and snail mail.
ty for letting me vent folks
Having a hotmail.com email isn't that unique, millions had them, as long as you continue to use regularly it continues.

I have a hotmail.CA email. they offered it for about 3 months. I use it everyday..lol

Having a hotmail.com email isn't that unique, millions had them, as long as you continue to use regularly it continues.

I have a hotmail.CA email. they offered it for about 3 months. I use it everyday..lol
I have had a hotmail account since 199x (7?). It still exists for crap emails that I dont care about (eg websites that want an email to sign up).

This is a provincial government requirement.

Could you imagine someone has an accident and was denied a claim because the insurance company canceled the coverage and they say they got a phone call or email?

Gets messy in court so, there is a cancellation form that is required and signed so, it’s a CYA for the insurance companies.

It’s a pain the ass for sure but, it’s necessary over convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This all sounds pretty complicated, why not just "snail" mail it and be done with it. We send xmas cards out to elderly relatives and in the GTA they are getting them next day as of last week, which is pretty good service I think.

This is a provincial government requirement.

Could you imagine someone has an accident and was denied a claim because the insurance company canceled the coverage and they say they got a phone call or email?

Gets messy in court so, there is a cancellation form that is required and signed so, it’s a CYA for the insurance companies.

It’s a pain the ass for sure but, it’s necessary over convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I failed to sign and return a travel health acknowledgement, not realizing it was important. Three days after returning from a US trip I was notified my policy wasn't in force. Two days later I had a pulmonary embolism and a four day hospital stay with CAT scans etc. I still have nightmares about it.

Somewhere I read faxes are still used for security reasons. My last fax machine had a phone number verification feature that would stop it from sending a fax when the receiving phone's registered number differed from the dialed number. Typically when they moved a fax machine from one department to another.

Back
Top Bottom