turning right from middle lane | GTAMotorcycle.com

turning right from middle lane

vex_helix

Guys,

Is it legal in Ontario to make a right turn from a middle lane after coming to a full stop? I have seen some people do it.

Cheers

From the common sense angle I would say no.If you are turning left you should be in the left lane and turning right in the right lane.Turning either left or right from the middle lane puts you in danger from other traffic.Unless it is a filtering lane going in either direction.

violates HTA 141 (2)? http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK218

Right turn at intersection

(2) Where a driver or operator of a vehicle intends to turn to the right into an intersecting highway, he or she shall, where the highway on which he or she is driving has marked lanes for traffic, approach the intersection within the right-hand lane or, where it has no such marked lanes, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway and he or she shall make the right turn by entering the right-hand lane of the intersecting highway where the lane is marked or, where no such lane is marked, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway being entered. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (2).

edit: are you talking about something like this: http://i.imgur.com/KfdEv.jpg

Last edited:
Guys,

Is it legal in Ontario to make a right turn from a middle lane after coming to a full stop? I have seen some people do it.

Cheers

No, it isn't. In fact Toronto Police sit on Yonge northbound and nail people turning from Lakeshore eastbound's centre lane, in the morning, and on the ramp from York south to The Gardiner, in the evening, catching people who are doing the same quite frequently. It can only be done, legally, where the centre lane is also a marked turning lane.

I once got a lift from an old Polish guy who made left turns by pulling to the right, stopping and when the way was clear, making a left turn, often across four lanes. All turns, he was taught, were made after pulling to the right and then doing your thing.

Regarding "both way turn lanes", what about on a red light?

I see people make right turns from the centre turn lane on reds all the time. Is that legal? I've always been under the impression it wasn't.

Only if the lane is signed that way, which is becoming rarer.

I've seen many people turn left from the right lane at Front going onto Bathurst, because they don't want to wait in the left turn lineup.
I've also seen people turn right from the left lane there.

No, it isn't. In fact Toronto Police sit on Yonge northbound and nail people turning from Lakeshore eastbound's centre lane, in the morning, and on the ramp from York south to The Gardiner, in the evening, catching people who are doing the same quite frequently. It can only be done, legally, where the centre lane is also a marked turning lane.

then they should sit at the end of the steeles off-ramp from the 404.
everyone (and i'm not condoning this) turns right from the lane to the left of the right most lane

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=43.813798,-79.348331&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&sll=43.813785,-79.348292&sspn=0.000563,0.000862&t=h&mra=mr&ie=UTF8&ll=43.813785,-79.348292&spn=0.000563,0.000862&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=43.813798,-79.348331&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&sll=43.813785,-79.348292&sspn=0.000563,0.000862&t=h&mra=mr&ie=UTF8&ll=43.813785,-79.348292&spn=0.000563,0.000862" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

The only time I would think it would be ok would be on a highway off ramp. I can't imagine doing it at a normal intersection.

I wish I had a dashcam 'cause I see a TTC bus doing it often outside where I work.

then they should sit at the end of the steeles off-ramp from the 404.
everyone (and i'm not condoning this) turns right from the lane to the left of the right most lane

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=43.813798,-79.348331&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&sll=43.813785,-79.348292&sspn=0.000563,0.000862&t=h&mra=mr&ie=UTF8&ll=43.813785,-79.348292&spn=0.000563,0.000862&output=embed" frameborder="0" height="350" scrolling="no" width="425"></iframe>
<small>View Larger Map</small>

That's because it's legal.

Attachments

• 404 and steeles.jpg
    404 and steeles.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 37
lets say you were at a red/green light turning right from the middle-lane, 9/10 of Ontario's Finest make wide Right & Left turns

i drew a quick diagram with paint to illustrate this (sorry)

xQj4K.jpg

Red car makes wide right turn from N/B to E/B.. results in collision with Blue Car trying to make proper left turn from S/B to E/B

Question: should Blue Car yield to Red Car?

Green car makes wide left turn from N/B to W/B... results in collision with Pink Car trying to make proper right turn from S/B to W/B

and for topic, lets say both E/B lands can make right turn into S/B.. if Brown Car makes wide right like Red car ... results in collision with Baby-Blue car trying to make proper right into S/B

Last edited:
lets say you were at a red/green light turning right from the middle-lane, 9/10 of Ontario's Finest make wide Right & Left turns

i drew a quick diagram with paint to illustrate this (sorry)

Red car makes wide right turn from N/B to E/B.. results in collision with Blue Car trying to make proper left turn from S/B to E/B

Question: should Blue Car yield to Red Car?

Green car makes wide left turn from N/B to W/B... results in collision with Pink Car trying to make proper right turn from S/B to W/B

and for topic, lets say both E/B lands can make right turn into S/B.. if Brown Car makes wide right like Red car ... results in collision with Baby-Blue car trying to make proper right into S/B

Assuming all solid green.

Blue car must yield to red car, despite red car making an illegal turn. Blue car has a duty to make sure that the way is clear, prior to making his turn.

Green car must yield to pink car, for the same reason stated above.

Or, in my preferred situation (which wouldn't be supported under law), all of the idiots making illegal turns would get hammered for it. They screw with traffic flow and create hazardous situations.

The right on red thing is an interesting question.

Good example is where the HWY 401 WB offramp intersects with Dixie

people make right turns (onto Dixie NB) from the (marked) second-to-right lane on a red all the time

i guess it's fine?

edit: like this guy, http://g.co/maps/x33d6

Last edited:

people make right turns (onto Dixie NB) from the (marked) second-to-right lane on a red all the time

i guess it's fine?

As long as it's safe to do so. If something happens, then it's on the right-on-red guy.

i guess it's fine?

I don't think it's illegal... it doesn't say anything about lanes....

Exception – turn
(19) Despite subsection (18 ) and subject to subsection (14), a driver, after stopping his or her vehicle and yielding the right of way to traffic lawfully approaching so closely that to proceed would constitute an immediate hazard, may,
(a) turn to the right; or
(b) turn to the left from a one-way street into a one-way street,
without a green indication being shown. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (19).

Back
Top Bottom