Turn signals required for safety? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Turn signals required for safety?

Delboy

I’m selling a 1976 TS250 thats been sitting in my Brothers garage for some time. It’s in great original condition but when I rode it, it didn’t have any turn signals, just the front and rear light. I used hand signals.

I believed I safetyed it this way But that must have been 20 years ago

The bike originally came with signals. Will it need signals to safety? I’ve read the traffic act several times and it’s not clear. In one place it says you don’t need them while in another Place it seems to say you do.

76 TS does. Ultimately, it all depends on who does the Safety.

If he still has them put back on.
If he doesn't, and the wiring, flasher and switch is still there buy some aftermarket pieces.
You can likely find oem knockoffs that are dirt cheap.

Yep, if it had them from the factory and/or they're present, they need to be there and working for the safety.

Motorcycle turn signals are pretty simple things. Could be something as simple as the flasher module has come unplugged or the switch at the handlebars is full of corrosion or something.

Thanks all. I have a a reasonable looking set I got in a big container of parts that he can have with the bike. The original wiring is tucked into the headlight shell and tiewrapped under the taillight bracket so it should be straight forward to get them working.

looks much better without them though.

Thanks all. I have a a reasonable looking set I got in a big container of parts that he can have with the bike. The original wiring is tucked into the headlight shell and tiewrapped under the taillight bracket so it should be straight forward to get them working.

looks much better without them though.
The bike will run without a battery but came stock with one. If the certifying mechanic is picky about the signals, chances are he'll ask you to install a battery too.

Just put the signals on FFS - do it right and save yourself (and the next owner) a lot of grief.

Just put the signals on FFS - do it right and save yourself (and the next owner) a lot of grief.

That's the problem. I'm in San Francisco. The bike is in Pickering. I can't reach....my arms are not that long... LOL

The gent also won the VRRA championships for his classes on bikes he built so I think he can connect up a few wires.

The gent also won the VRRA championships for his classes on bikes he built so I think he can connect up a few wires.
Don't count on it.
I can build you a VRRA class winner over a long weekend... then take 8 months to install lights, turn signals, charging system... all that stupid street stuff takes WAY too much time.
Folding foot pegs and chain guards are the bane of my existence.

Word to the wise tho folks think that some sketchy shop will be lax with a safety check when the opposite is true as the MTO inspectors tend to ride those shops the most.
Something like a crappy tire or similar is usually the best if the bike is iffy. IMHO

Word to the wise tho folks think that some sketchy shop will be lax with a safety check when the opposite is true as the MTO inspectors tend to ride those shops the most.
Something like a crappy tire or similar is usually the best if the bike is iffy. IMHO
We all know one particular sketchy shop that is shall we say "accommodating" on safeties. Unless MTO caught the bike in the shop with a signed cert, it's not hard for him to argue that the bike passed safety when it was looked at and the signals were taken off after.

Best solution is to deliver a safe bike with wear items in spec and all safety items installed and working. It's pretty easy to pass a bike safety.

Back
Top Bottom