Tuono owners, traditional sport tourers ,fairings and wind noise | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tuono owners, traditional sport tourers ,fairings and wind noise

bigpoppa

Couple of questions...

1) For the people that have owned tuonos long term, how do you find the wind noise?
I ask because its the only 'non naked' naked out there...

2) I heard from neeves that traditional sport tourers(NOT adv styled bikes) and even sport bikes have
very good aerodynamics and are therefore much quieter than the modern crop of adv/adv styled bikes.

So I would like the opinion of people who have owned those traditional, faired, sport touring/sport bikes , how are they with regards to both the wind noise, and physical comfort with regards to wind resistance/wind related comfort.

(I've ridden/owned many naked bikes, and I would say the naked bikes are quieter than ADV bikes, but I had forgotten how much at higher highway speeds the wind tends to really beat you up)

Thanks!

Wind protection can be non intuitive. Recent hire BMW F900XR had a two position adjustable windscreen. Higher position gave more turbulence and noise than low for me. It was better to have less-dusturbed airflow hit my helmet, than to deflect the airstream higher but be in the turbulent wake of the screen instead.

Those with open face helmets or significantly shorter or taller than me, may have different findings.

My experience aligns with @Brian P . Cutting about 4-6" off of my FZ6 shield dumped the turbulence in my chest instead of my face and made things much quieter.

I heard from neeves that traditional sport tourers(NOT adv styled bikes) and even sport bikes have very good aerodynamics and are therefore much quieter than the modern crop of adv/adv styled bikes.

So I would like the opinion of people who have owned those traditional, faired, sport touring/sport bikes , how are they with regards to both the wind noise, and physical comfort with regards to wind resistance/wind related comfort.

I would consider my bike a sport tourer wannabe. I don't like the wind turbulence caused by the windscreen (it is less bad in the lowest position).

So, just for science, one day, I removed the windscreen, and it was turbulence-free, so clean, my helmet didn't feel like a bubble head. The downside is that the wind was pushing hard above 120km/h

I would consider my bike a sport tourer wannabe. I don't like the wind turbulence caused by the windscreen (it is less bad in the lowest position).

So, just for science, one day, I removed the windscreen, and it was turbulence-free, so clean, my helmet didn't feel like a bubble head. The downside is that the wind was pushing hard above 120km/h
Feels the same with a naked bike. After riding the tuono for a bit, going back to a real naked bike felt like my body was a parachute above 120kmh on the highway.

Small price to pay for awesomeness though.

to me, wasn't a huge difference between the tuono vs previous sportsbikes: literbikes, zx6r etc.
close to my speed triple but I put on an aftermarket universal screen on it.

the speedy as a true naked and the SMCR are both definitely worse on long 400 series slogs above 120kph. you have to slightly lean your body into the wind to counteract the pressure.

I still miss the V4, someone want to trade a 690 SMCR for one?

to me, wasn't a huge difference between the tuono vs previous sportsbikes: literbikes, zx6r etc.
close to my speed triple but I put on an aftermarket universal screen on it.

the speedy as a true naked and the SMCR are both definitely worse on long 400 series slogs above 120kph. you have to slightly lean your body into the wind to counteract the pressure.

I still miss the V4, someone want to trade a 690 SMCR for one?
As a day to day bike, I didnt find the V4 tuono as fun as the big KTM, but it had surprisingly good aerodynamic comfort

But I cant imagine anyone riding the SMC for more than like 20 minutes...there are uncomfortable seats...and then there is pure torture.

As a day to day bike, I didnt find the V4 tuono as fun as the big KTM, but it had surprisingly good aerodynamic comfort

But I cant imagine anyone riding the SMC for more than like 20 minutes...there are uncomfortable seats...and then there is pure torture.
different butts, I've done multi-day tours and weekly commutes to Kitchener/London without issue. but I've honestly never had a problem with seat comfort on any bike.

vibration also doesn't bug me much either but I have the newer version with the updated engine.

different butts, I've done multi-day tours and weekly commutes to Kitchener/London without issue. but I've honestly never had a problem with seat comfort on any bike.

vibration also doesn't bug me much either but I have the newer version with the updated engine.
you must have the aftermarket seat then...

The stock one is a 2x4

Most bikes I've owned have been naked bikes. Some I could ride 140 km/h+ very comfortably and others had me feeling like a sail at 120 km/h. In this respect, the best was the GSX-S750, the worst was the Ducati Scrambler. Ergonomics play a part. The riding position on the GSXS had me leaning forward a bit when static - at 120 km/h it felt neutral, in that the wind pressure cancelled out the forward weight and things felt pretty good - too good in fact, I'd often go way faster than I should have on that bike. Narrow handlebars helped - I can honestly say that I never felt "beat up" by the wind on that bike despite it being a naked. On the flipside, at 120 km/h on the Scrambler, neutral riding position when static, no forward weight, high and wide handlebars, felt like a sail on the highway, tiring. Wind noise becomes a non-issue with earplugs. Weather permitting, I'd always wear the leather jacket over the textile one - was more comfortable at speed, less drag / flappy bits.

Yep.

Personally, I've discovered through lots of experience on different bikes that no windscreen or a small flyscreen is much better than a huge ass screen. I know of a lot of other riders who have also come to the same conclusion after some serious seat-time.

Clean air > buffeting

Just need earplugs and to wipe the visor on your helmet a bit more often...

I'd always wear the leather jacket over the textile one - was more comfortable at speed, less drag / flappy bits.
You might be onto something here

I think, a lot like wind noise and helmets, every bike will be totally different person-to-person. Two people might both be 6' tall, but have different arm lengths, neck lengths, shoulder-to-hip lengths, etc., which either puts them in still air or turbulent air. That said, I'll echo various bits of what @killvino @bastak and @Lightcycle say above.

For me, my Tuono to be among the quietest and least buffeting bikes I've ridden, despite the small screen. It seems to direct airflow with minimal turbulence, and the blast hits me mid-chest, where I'm braced and solid.

My Burgman 400, on the other hand, is a buffeting nightmare with wind noise so loud that it's unbearable on the highway without earplugs. If I were shorter, or built differently, then it may be a different story. But at 6'1" with a longer torso and relatively short legs, there is no screen tall enough to keep my helmet out of the horrible buffeting and deafening turbulence. I've actually completely removed the adjustable portion of my Givi screen as the least worst solution. It's still incredibly loud compared to any other bike I've owned, including true nakeds like a Hawk GT. And if there's a crosswind, it's like someone has grabbed me by the lapels and is jerking me around, which I never get on the Tuono.

Aside from turbulence, the other factor for buffeting is being leaned forward more also helps with bracing, which I think is something that ADV bikes really discourage to allow for more standing up. Rather than being like one of those clown punching bags, wobbling around with every gust, on a sportier bike your torso is part of a tripod with your arms, which provides bracing and makes fighting buffeting a lot less tiring.

I remember an old article comparing the VFR800 with more sit-up-and-beg bikes, and they talked about how Honda had done a lot of work to distribute the riders weight between the pegs, seat and bars as comfortably as possible, as opposed to many more pure touring bikes which tend to put a lot more weight on the seat. That feels comfy in the showroom for 5 minutes, but much less so after 8 hours in the saddle fighting a crosswind.

PS - I love my Tuono seat, though mine is a 2018. Not sure if they made it harder for the newer Factory model when they made bigger differences between the F and the RR beyond suspension and the tail unit. I also have full K-Tech front and rear, so that may also help smooth out the bumps.

Wind protection can be non intuitive. Recent hire BMW F900XR had a two position adjustable windscreen. Higher position gave more turbulence and noise than low for me. It was better to have less-dusturbed airflow hit my helmet, than to deflect the airstream higher but be in the turbulent wake of the screen instead.

Those with open face helmets or significantly shorter or taller than me, may have different findings.

Similar for me and my Tracer 9 GT.
Lower is better for clean air.

Back
Top Bottom