Trying to figure out what year my Yamaha is | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trying to figure out what year my Yamaha is

Jmz1

Hello all,

I am negotiating a Yamaha TTR 230 but it comes with no ownership which means I have no idea what year it is, and neither does the current owner. He claims it’s a 2014 but he’s not sure.he says that’s what the previous owner said. Is there any way I could find this out? Would I have to take it to a Yamaha dealership to get it checked out?

Later today I plan to take it to a mechanic and get it inspected.

Thank you

Last edited:
It’s in the VIN and will be printed on the manufacturers transport Canada sticker. The vin should be stamped on the neck, the sticker somewhere high on the frame or neck.

Get the vin and get a UVIP package at the MTO. 20 bucks, will tell you is it’s branded, stolen, has a lien and most important the last registered owner.

Last edited:
aNs9LvL.jpg

lots of funny deals on dirt bikes
if it were me
I'd also be searching the VIN to see if it is stolen property

Is a UVIP (Used Vehicle Information Package) available for a green plated off road vehicle?

Assuming it was ever registered in the first place.

Is a UVIP (Used Vehicle Information Package) available for a green plated off road vehicle?

Assuming it was ever registered in the first place.
;) I think you answered your own question there. oh wait you're not the op:oops:
Where are you going to ride it?
"Later today I plan to take it to a mechanic and get it inspected"
for what? it's not road certifiable. buy or download a free service manual instead ;)

there can be a buttload of things wrong with a bike and still pass a safety

a manual is useless without proper experience/facilities/tools/time

Is a green plate,
A manual is only useless if you can't read it and understand it,
I find it best to start at the beginning and read until you find something you don't understand and then don't go any further until you figure that part out. Servicing it is how you get the service experience. :| it's just a simple little 1 lung dirt bike

yamaha-tt-r230-7.jpg

he doesn't have the bike yet
so he's supposed to get the seller to let him learn how to service it
before he's bought it?

you're a good guy, Trials
but maybe think stuff through before dropping you're wisdom
doesn't help new riders sometimes

Thanks for all your help guys. 1 more question, how do I know how many kilometres this motorcycle has? It doesn’t come with an odometer

Hours of operation or how many tanks full of gas went through it would be a better indication. Pictures?

J_F by the time I went to pick it up I would have read the manual at least once through.
Service manual was the first thing I bought for all my bikes, up until they became available on the net.

Thanks for all your help guys. 1 more question, how do I know how many kilometres this motorcycle has? It doesn’t come with an odometer

By all means aske the seller how much it's been used, but the short answer is you can't know for sure.

However, you can tell a lot from the general condition. In particular, look at the tires, sprockets and even the handlebar grips. The original tires are likely Bridgestone and a bike like this MAY not have been treated to a new set of rubber in its lifetime. Same goes for the sprockets, look for wear in that the teeth are pointed. As for the grips, though OEM product is harder than after market it will still show signs of wear and is unlikely to be changed out.

If these things are either original and in good condition, or newly replaced then it's a good sign that the bike is either little used or has probably been well maintained.

These bikes are pretty basic and are built to last with minimal attention/maintenance or worry. At the same time if you're unfamiliar with motorcycles in general or not (yet) mechanically inclined a visit by or to a mechanic is a good plan.

By the way, I did say "MINIMAL" attention/maintenance not ZERO as some seem to think.

Good luck, I hope it works out.

5 year old dirt bike = let the buyer beware.
Take someone with you that knows what to look for.

where do you plan on riding it? if it doesn't have a green plate ownership you will only be able to ride it in your yard, a motocross track, or sanctioned enduro/hare scrambles event etc.. No public trails or crown land riding will be possible w/o a green plate ownership and insurance...

Back
Top Bottom