Trucking to the start point | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trucking to the start point

I was thinking the same buy 4 then sell them but in reality any decent vehicle would tow them, I have taken 3 bikes to the gap behind a Grand prix with a 3.8 in the past. And pickup or midsize SUV should have no issue

Time. We don't want to ride the whole due to timing. This could shave a week off the trip

I was thinking the same buy 4 then sell them but in reality any decent vehicle would tow them, I have taken 3 bikes to the gap behind a Grand prix with a 3.8 in the past. And pickup or midsize SUV should have no issue
I don't trust random bikes I just bought to head off into the far north. I want things I trust (or at least am very familiar with). The time required to buy and then prep to sell at a distant location would probably take longer than driving.

For co-driving, as people start to get tired, it is a good idea to have someone sitting shotgun on duty to make sure the driver doesn't nod off and crash you. The other two can sleep through the night and then switch in the morning.

Time. We don't want to ride the whole due to timing. This could shave a week off the trip

I like it.

Roadtrips where everyone is crammed into one vehicle is a gas. Especially if you're all good friends, cracking jokes and talking trash to each other all the way to your destination makes the time go by so much faster.

Definitely a different experience than being alone in your helmet for 8-12 hours a day and only gabbing with your riding buddies at gas stations or at the campsite at the end of the day (unless you have comms).

This way you get both.

Most any vehicle big enough to be comfortable for 4 people to go cross-country will not have a problem towing a reasonably-sized trailer with three bikes in/on it. A minivan will do it. A crew-cab pickup truck, any of them, will do it.

Just as a PSA, during COVID, the borders to NWT are enforced by checkpoints at all major highways in and out:

Border Information | GNWT's Response to COVID-19 (gov.nt.ca)

When I lived in Squamish, the First Nations communities north of Whistler were urging people not to visit and risk introducing the Coronavirus there. They do not have access to the same level of healthcare up there and an outbreak would impact them much more severely.

I don't know what this summer will bring, but please be respectful if the non-essential travel restrictions remain in effect.

Just as a PSA, during COVID, the borders to NWT are enforced by checkpoints at all major highways in and out:

Border Information | GNWT's Response to COVID-19 (gov.nt.ca)

When I lived in Squamish, the First Nations communities north of Whistler were urging people not to visit and risk introducing the Coronavirus there. They do not have access to the same level of healthcare up there and an outbreak would impact them much more severely.

I don't know what this summer will bring, but please be respectful if the non-essential travel restrictions remain in effect.

This^^

If the local population don't want you entering their territory... You're not going to.
One of my friends was going to ride to Tuk last summer and decided to postpone for the very reason(s) quoted above. The highway was blocked.
He's decided to postpone again this season for the same reason...
'No use making plans only to have to cancel at the last minute because you simply cannot be guaranteed clear passage.

Not likely this year or even next. First priority is the trip to NFL I promised the Squeeze years ago (in the RoadTrek).
Tuk is next on the list.

I'm planning on Vancouver again this year...
Cancelled last year so...

Back
Top Bottom