Troubleshooting whats wrong with my CBR125R | GTAMotorcycle.com

Troubleshooting whats wrong with my CBR125R

otwo_91

The bike had been parked idle for a little over a couple of weeks. I went to turn it on yesterday and it would not start. I brought the battery home and plugged it in the charger. It did charge. The charger was blinking red which told me that the battery was low. Then it turned green.

I brought the battery into the bike and I was able to turn it on no problem. I did not ride it.

Today I turned it on (no problem.) I let it warm up for a few minutes then as I began to ride, while in first gear, I reached some 5k RPM's and it died. I let it rest for about 10 minutes, and it did turn back on. Same thing happened a second time.

Does not seem to want to run.

I did notice that when I touched the engine portion, it was quiet hot. More than what you would expect becasue it had only been on for a tiny bit.

There are no leaks as far as I can tell.

Is this a problem with the battery? I left it in the charger for 3 hrs yesterday. Maybe it needs a good 12 hour overnight charge?

Take the battery to a motorcycle shop and get them to test it with a load tester. If its old it may be capable of accepting a charge but not maintaining it. If its more than 5-7 years old its likely already toast.
Be aware, if you want a good quality Yuasa battery (like it came with when new) they are hideously expensive. There are less expensive alternatives but they will not last you as long.

It died while running at 5k rpm ? if it dies because of battery or charging problems usually more at low or idle. check the basic. Got proper oil level. Fuels flowing stuff like that.

20210602_195757.jpg

Okay so I tried to start it again and it wont start all together. So I am thinking this is battery related. I took it out and put it back in the charger and its flashing red. So battery is low.

Im going to leave it to charge overnight.

One concern I have is that, if you look at the negative terminal (positive one also has the same issue) the washer is missing. You could tell that there used to be a washer.

When I connect the battery and I screw it, I am worried that because there is no washer, there may be a little 'give' and it could perhaps be causing problems.

I know thay when I screw it, its not really tight, but I dont know where I can find a washer. Is there a work around this? Electric tape?

Thanks!

View attachment 49210

Okay so I tried to start it again and it wont start all together. So I am thinking this is battery related. I took it out and put it back in the charger and its flashing red. So battery is low.

One concern I have is that, if you look at the negative terminal (positive one also has the same issue) the washer is missing. You could tell that there used to be a washer.

When I connect the battery and I screw it, I am worried that because there is no washer, there may be a little 'give' and it could perhaps be causing problems.

I know thay when I screw it, its not really tight, but I dont know where I can find a washer. Is there a work around this? Electric tape?

Thanks!
Its got to be tight - find some washers.

View attachment 49210

Thanks!
you need something conductive not an insulator. I would be surprised if that's your problem but washers are cheap so it's worth a shot.

Alright folks,

I guess I was stupid enough to think I can take a short cut on the washers. I found them, I installed the battery properly with the washers and no problems.

Tomorrow Ill be out for an hr or so on the bike, but as it stands, I think this is fixed. Original problem was battery needing a boost, then second problem was me being supremely lazy...

Back
Top Bottom