Trip packing | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trip packing

The cheap ziplock styles have one-way valves. You just seal the bag and sit on it to squish the air out.
Space is always limited, don't take stuff you don't need. After any trip identify things you did not use and leave them out the next time

The bags I have are pretty simple, like very HD ziploc freezer bags. Pack your stuff, close the seal 3/4 of the way, then roll the bag up tightly from the bottom and then seal the bag. You then pack it flat or rolled up. For clothes and other compressable gear it can reduce volume by a minimum of 2/3rds.

I have dry bags as well, the advantage of the vacuum bag is that they are smaller and you can sort things (clean clothes, dirty clothes etc.....) vs. cramming everything into a larger dry bag.

Moving from my ST to the Tracer GT meant I lost 20L of lockable saddlebag space, a royal PITA. Rejigging what I bring on trips and vacuum bags help me to offset this lost storage space.

Last edited:
Space is always limited, don't take stuff you don't need. After any trip identify things you did not use and leave them out the next time

There's an old adage about packing for motorcycle travel:

Put everything you think you'll need to take on the trip into a pile. Then only take half of it, since that'll be all you'll really need.

Next, put all the money that you think you will need for the trip in a pile. Then double it, because that'll be what it'll really cost...

There's an old adage about packing for motorcycle travel:

Put everything you think you'll need to take on the trip into a pile. Then only take half of it, since that'll be all you'll really need.

Next, put all the money that you think you will need for the trip in a pile. Then double it, because that'll be what it'll really cost...
My wife doesn't really like going on canoe trips with me. We cut her pile in half twice or more before I pack it.

Make sure most things have more than one purpose. I often take a fleece jacket that is also my pillow.

My wife doesn't really like going on canoe trips with me. We cut her pile in half twice or more before I pack it.

Make sure most things have more than one purpose. I often take a fleece jacket that is also my pillow.
I travel light too. 80l of space will get me across the continent and back using campsites. Good gear, good planning and good underwear.

I stole this pic from a private facebook group. I think this person is carrying more on this trip than I have in all trips combined. The available lean angle looks worse than a harley.

239838247-10159566735349721-5649898960984490063-n.jpg

I stole this pic from a private facebook group. I think this person is carrying more on this trip than I have in all trips combined. The available lean angle looks worse than a harley.

Are you sure this person is traveling? Maybe they are moving ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ben and Candice broke up shortly after this trip

I travel light too. 80l of space will get me across the continent and back using campsites. Good gear, good planning and good underwear.

Just counted my setup, I am at 186L of space plus a cooler. I'll use about 130L of it, but it's nice to have the extra space when needed. ~60-70L of that is camping stuff. Pretty much the same whether I'm gone for a weekend or two weeks.

Just counted my setup, I am at 186L of space plus a cooler. I'll use about 130L of it, but it's nice to have the extra space when needed. ~60-70L of that is camping stuff. Pretty much the same whether I'm gone for a weekend or two weeks.
I’ve never counted my available volume before and now that I think about it, I have 2x41L side cases, 1x47L top box, 1x55L dry bag, 1x15L tank bag, for a total of 199L.

I think the weight would become too much for my bike, before I hit the volume threshold.

Back
Top Bottom