Travelling to Halifax and need suggestions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Travelling to Halifax and need suggestions

grafix72

So here is my plan....work has me in Halifax for the next 8 weeks and rather than flying on the August long weekend I am going to ride out over the weekend, work for the week and then take the following week to do the Cape Breton trail and work my way back home. What I am wondering is.....

1) Since I am getting to Halifax via the US does anyone have any suggestions on hotels and places to avoid? I am planning to do this portion of the trip as quickly as possible since I have to work that week and was planning a stop in Lowell Ma. and Moncton NB for the evening.
2) Any suggestions for a base camp while riding Cape Breton? I was thinking I could stay in Sydney at a B&B or something similar. The whole trail seems to be readily accessible from there.
3) Finally any must see places while I am out there? I have the week of the 8th pretty much wide open.

Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Hey,

I used to live in Hali and am super jealous. Never had a bike while I was there but I've done the drive from Toronto and back both through the States and along the Trans Canada. I was always in a bit of a rush and used to do it straight in about 17 hours. Coming from the States I got lost once but it was easy to get back on track. I took a ferry from St. John's, N.B. to Digby, N.S. which was a good way to cover distance while taking a rest. I don't know if it still runs but there was a high speed ferry called the Cat from Bar Harbor, Maine to Yarmouth. I slept on the ferry. The Digby one takes about 3 hours to cross 60km. The trans Canada route can get kinda borrowing in upper N.B./Que. but there are interesting places to stop along the way.

When I did the Cabot Trail I stayed in Baddeck which is at the beginning of the trail. Nice little town. Make sure you do the ride in a counter clockwise direction, that way the ocean is to your right and your on the outside lane the whole time. As well, don't pull off at every pic opportunity or you may be there until winter. There will be one point that will look like almost every car commercial you've seen because many are shot there.

As for place to see, again, I could be here all day. Lunenburg is pretty and where the Bluenose is docked (it's being rebuilt right now so you won't see it). The Annapolis Valley has some great scenery and some cool sights. If you have time check out the Lookoff near Wolfville and then head to Hall's Harbour for fresh lobster right off the boat. If you schedule it right you can see tide's at the low and then come back later to see them higher then you can believe. It's amazing. Around Hali you can head to Peggy's Cove which I always thought would be fun to ride to. The road leading in is lots of twists and turns. In Halifax the bikes are usually down by Stayner's Wharf. Lots of good restaurents and live music everywhere. Go for a tour of the Keith's brewery for a cheesy experience with two pints at the end. Up near the top of the Cabot Trail there are little side roads that are fun to go down. One took me to a little fishing village with the best seafood chowder but I can't remember where I think it was shore rd up near Dingwall. Near Ingonish is the Keltic Lodge which is a nice place to stop as well.

I've never stopped along the drive so I can't help much with PEI and NB but I've heard good things about both. If you have any specific questions PM me. As well, be prepared for slow driving in some places, east coasters don't rush everywhere.

Hey grafix

You are really in for a treat with this trip! I've done it in a car and took the route through Canada exclusively and also through the US on the bike. The US trip was far more entertaining and scenic. Here is a map of the US route Show on Google Maps

I always wished that I did the Cabot trail both directions. As Josh mentioned, there is so much breathtaking scenery that you could be on it for days if you stopped to take pictures every time you were dazzled by the view.

While you are there, you should consider spending a morning or afternoon in Lunenburg. It is such a unique town to walk around. You can catch Peggy's Cove on either the trip there, or on the way back - There isnt much to see there but it is very picturesque. I believe you can ride the secondary highway that follows the coastline all the way there and back - there are little fishing villages that are absolutely beautiful. Of course, if time is pressing, you can always take the freeway in one direction - it is boring but a bit quicker.

Have fun on your trip!

PS: The CAT ferry from Bar Harbour ME to Yarmouth NS was discontinued last year.

Last edited:
Any suggestions for a base camp while riding Cape Breton?

Sydney is a pithole - stay at the top end ...Meat Cove area and take a whale watching trip.
The national park is up there as well - on the corner of the main road and the road to Meat Cove is a really cool restaurant - good food and a neat museum of the local Titanic story ( many rescued landed in the area ).
There are moose in the area so cautiously.

Are you camping or ??
You won't need an entire week for Cape Breton - leisurely is 3 days.

Say hi to Charlie at Markland from MacDoc - be sure and stop in even if you don't stay.

banner01.jpg

gorgeous setting on the top of the island and near Meat Cove.

http://www.marklandbeachcottages.com/

also say hi to the capt of the Oshan

they've clearly expanded
http://www.oshan.ca/

we went out 8 times and enjoyed it every time - 3rd generation family in the area. One day was simply breathtaking with 5 pods of whales around us in the cove - misty and you could hear them and see them all around.
Transport back to a simpler and more vibrant time.

IF you stay for a period in that area you should go daily. It's a thrill no matter what.

There a 3 very distinct cultures - as you move around the island - next up is very French and worth hitting the bakery.

Then further around you are in the Scottish Highlands with the largest Gaelic ( they teach in the school ) population outside Scotland.
Gorgeous area, lots of lakes and keep an eye out for the bald eagles.

Back
Top Bottom