Transporting a new bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transporting a new bike

jukon

Hey..

Can someone please tell me if this is wrong. I have valid plates and insurance on my current bike. If I'm buying another and I put my plates and bring my insurance, is that legal? I know I'm not really insured for THAT bike, but I am still an insured rider. I don't even think I can get insurance for a bike I don't own.

Sorry I bet this is asked all the time.

Sure u can insure a bike that isn't yours. My SF agent never asks for proof of ownership

So you want to use an illegal insurance slip, with illegal plates on a bike that is uninsured and not even yours?

I think the question is answered. Just get a u-haul trailer for $20 and save the thousands you would be fined if you were pulled over.

Actually, if it's a replacement bike, you have 3 to 10 days to get all the paperwork transfered. Unless there's a loan on the bike (ie third party interest) you'd be fine. On the other hand, if it's a private sale, do you really want to trust it until you can go over it with a fine tooth comb?

there are also advantages to getting an m/c tow company to pick it up for you. Some of them will even cert in transit.

Actually, if it's a replacement bike, you have 3 to 10 days to get all the paperwork transfered. Unless there's a loan on the bike (ie third party interest) you'd be fine. On the other hand, if it's a private sale, do you really want to trust it until you can go over it with a fine tooth comb?

there are also advantages to getting an m/c tow company to pick it up for you. Some of them will even cert in transit.

I think you mean lien.

My state farm agent has told me straight out that I can put my plate on my new bike to get it home and I'm insured.

there is a clause about this in the hta and it is legal however its a little complicated so not worth the risk, i cant remember the exact nature of it but im sure turbodish could answer it. its in the regulation area of the hta about new transfer purchases. you can find it online.
i know for a fact that your old vehicle which is the insured vehicle has to be sold prior to you using the plates and insurance and there is a timelimit so in your case it would not work as you still have the old vehicle.

i say get it towed as not worth the risk with a regulation that not many people know about including officers.

I would have never have guessed.

Me either. I was all in a huff one day trying to get everything in order for a pick up truck that I was buying, a bit of a distance from me. My insurance rep told me not to worry, and that you are allowed to do this if you are doing a vehicle transfer on your policy. I sounded odd, but I trust the rep, and it sure makes the process easier. She said you can do it with all vehicles.

there is a clause about this in the hta and it is legal however its a little complicated so not worth the risk, i cant remember the exact nature of it but im sure turbodish could answer it. its in the regulation area of the hta about new transfer purchases. you can find it online.
i know for a fact that your old vehicle which is the insured vehicle has to be sold prior to you using the plates and insurance and there is a timelimit so in your case it would not work as you still have the old vehicle.

i say get it towed as not worth the risk with a regulation that not many people know about including officers.

The insurance from a current vehicle will cover replacement or additional vehicles for up to 14 days, but the plate issue is a little less clear.

If your plate is already assigned to another vehicle that you still own per MTO registration records, I don't think you can simply put it on another vehicle without first going to an MTO office to formally transfer the plate to the new bike.

I was in court a number of years back where a person was on trial for swapping a plate he owned from one car he still owned onto another that he had just got, and he was convicted. Neither the fine or the JP's comments to the accused were particularly "nice".

The MTO pages stipulate that you must inform the Ministry BEFORE affixing a plate to another vehicle. It makes no reference to any 6-day allowance period in which to do so. As far as I know, the 6-day period only applies to notifying of address or vehicle ownership changes. but the 6 days does not apply to telling them that your plates have been put onto a different vehicle.

If stopped with an old plate (assuming current sticker though) on a new bike, you might get more discretion if the plate is not currently assigned to any vehicle that you still own, as would be the case if you had recently sold a bike that the plate was originally assigned to. However, I wouldn't count on it. Unlike insurance coverage, there is no such exemption or allowance explicitly stated in the law.

Last edited:
If stopped with an old plate (assuming current sticker though) on a new bike, you might get more discretion if the plate is not currently assigned to any vehicle that you still own, as would be the case if you had recently sold a bike that the plate was originally assigned to. However, I wouldn't count on it. Unlike insurance coverage, there is no such exemption or allowance explicitly stated in the law.

Clarification - there is an exemption specifically stated, but as I suspected only for instances where you NO LONGER OWN the vehicle that originally carried the license plates that you want to now place on the new vehicle. See Temporary Use of Plates below.

11. (1) Upon the holder of a permit ceasing to be the owner or lessee of the motor vehicle or trailer referred to in the permit, he, she or it shall,
(a) remove his, her or its number plates from the vehicle;
(b) retain the plate portion of the permit; and
(c) on delivery of the vehicle,
(i) to the new owner, complete and sign the transfer application of the vehicle portion of the permit including the date of the delivery and give that portion of the permit to the new owner, or
(ii) to a lessor, give the vehicle portion of the permit to the lessor. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (1).

Re-issue of permit

(2) Every person shall, within six days after becoming the owner of a motor vehicle or trailer for which a permit has been issued, apply to the Ministry, on the form provided therefor, for a new permit for the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (2).

Temporary use of plates

(3) Despite section 12, a person to whom number plates have been issued under subsection 7 (7) for a vehicle the person no longer owns or leases may affix the number plates to a similar class of vehicle that the person owns or leases where it is done in accordance with the prescribed requirements. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (3).

This leaves out the OP, given that he still owns the bike whose plates he wants to put on the new bike for transport.

insurance is on the vehicle, not the person who is operating it. Unless you have some other benefits or conditions with the insurance company.

insurance is on the vehicle, not the person who is operating it. Unless you have some other benefits or conditions with the insurance company.

Yes, but.... every auto (and bike) insurance contract sold in Ontario (assuming we're talking public road use) provides for bridge coverage on newly acquired replacement or additional vehicles for up to 14 days.

See Section 2.2 at http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/autobulletins/archives/Documents/a-07_00-3.pdf
Newly Acquired Auto (Replacement Auto)
Yes. The replacement auto has the same coverage as the described automobile it replaces, as long as you notify us within 14 days of delivery of the new automobile.

Newly Acquired Auto (Additional Auto)
Yes, if we insure all automobiles you own for the same type of coverage on the day you take delivery and you notify us within 14 days of delivery of the new automobile.

vehicle has to be sold prior to you using the plates and insurance and there is a timelimit so in your case it would not work as you still have the old vehicle.

Clarification - there is an exemption specifically stated, but as I suspected only for instances where you NO LONGER OWN the vehicle that originally carried the license plates that you want to now place on the new vehicle. See Temporary Use of Plates below.

This leaves out the OP, given that he still owns the bike whose plates he wants to put on the new bike for transport.

good job finding that, i thought it was in the regulation section somewhere.

see what i mean about the regulation being too unknown so dont risk it, if turbodish was unsure about it and had to research it that goes to show how unknown the exemption is so not worth the risk.

If I'm buying another and I put my plates and bring my insurance, is that legal?

It's never stopped me from doing it.

My state farm agent has told me straight out that I can put my plate on my new bike to get it home and I'm insured.

Section 2.2.1 of the Ontario Automobile Policy reads:

A newly acquired automobile is an automobile or trailer that you acquire as owner and that is not covered under any other policy. It can be either a replacement or an additional automobile. The replacement automobile will have the same coverage as the described automobile it replaces. We will cover an additional automobile as long as:

-We insure all automobiles you own, and
-any claim you make for the additional automobile is made against a coverage we provide for all you other automobiles.

Your newly acquired automobile(s) will be insured as long as you inform us within 14 days from the time of delivery and pay any additional premium required.

We may inspect the newly acquired vehicle and its equipment at any reasonable time.

Special Condition: Coverage is not extended to a newly acquired automobile ifyou are in the business of selling automobiles.

I would strongly recommend you check with the MTO as to what their policy is regarding swapping plates on a vehicle without first informing them. I can't imagine it going well for you, if the Police pull you over and the officer's screen is telling him the red vehicle in front him should be blue...

Section 2.2.1 of the Ontario Automobile Policy reads:

A newly acquired automobile is an automobile or trailer that you acquire as owner and that is not covered under any other policy. It can be either a replacement or an additional automobile. The replacement automobile will have the same coverage as the described automobile it replaces. We will cover an additional automobile as long as:

-We insure all automobiles you own, and
-any claim you make for the additional automobile is made against a coverage we provide for all you other automobiles.

Your newly acquired automobile(s) will be insured as long as you inform us within 14 days from the time of delivery and pay any additional premium required.

We may inspect the newly acquired vehicle and its equipment at any reasonable time.

Special Condition: Coverage is not extended to a newly acquired automobile ifyou are in the business of selling automobiles.

I would strongly recommend you check with the MTO as to what their policy is regarding swapping plates on a vehicle without first informing them. I can't imagine it going well for you, if the Police pull you over and the officer's screen is telling him the red vehicle in front him should be blue...

avi..... very helpful info

but i thought you were out of insurance business, u coming back?

avi..... very helpful info

but i thought you were out of insurance business, u coming back?

I'm not out of the insurance business at all. I am writing commercial policies these days and am no longer focused on bikes. That being said, I still have my personal interest in bikes and in the community. I am always available to answer questions, but because of the amount of time I spend on the road, our team in the office will work on your quotes/policies.

Back
Top Bottom