Transporting a bike - wheel chock in rental van? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transporting a bike - wheel chock in rental van?

joeyjoejoe

I'll be making a trip to the US to pick up my new bike! I was originally going to go with a friend over the weekend, but the US border export office is only open during the week. This now causes all sorts of problems as originally, we were going to use his SUV and his motorcycle trailer (helped put it mostly together yesterday). Now I can't use his SUV (because it's a company car) and I can use the motorcycle trailer, but my car clearly states no trailers.

Now I'm going to rent a cube van to go pick it up instead. I've read a few threads and some recommend using a motorcycle wheel chock. Fortunately, I have access to one... the motorcycle trailer is nearly complete except for installing the 2 (4'x4') pieces of plywood to the trailer and the chock to the wood. So I can:

1) Use the chock, but it was designed to be attached to something, so by itself it isn't isn't going to be very effective metal on metal. I doubt I'll be allowed to drill holes into the van floor.

2) Install the chock to the wood. The chalk would be more secure, but would the wood shift around?

3) Put something like a rubber mat between the floor and wood. Anything else that would create better friction?

4) Just forget the whole thing and just use straps. (straps will be used in any of the options)

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. This is my first time moving a bike. I'd like to do option 3), but if it isn't going to help, then there's no point. Chock looks like this:
571648_lg.jpg

Last edited:
many car manuals state "do not tow" to meet safety ratings

an example of this is with my 2010 impreza
North American owners manual says "do not tow" on the first page

Australian owners manual says 200lb tongue weight with 2000lb towing capacity
The tow package is also an option direct from subaru australia

My car is a Suzuki Areio and in some other countries say 1,000lbs. I would also have to cut a giant hole in my bumper and drill holes into the frame to install a trailer hitch. Too much effort.

you should have no problem towing your bike with your car ,i personaly use a toyota corolla with a kendon trailer to pull my cbr. i've also been to deals gap with 2 bikes on a trailer, attached to a suzuki aerio. if still unsure why not rent a pick up truck and buy a ramp and some ratchet straps from canadian tire.

Last edited:
Just stick a 2x8 across the width of rental van. There will be bracing (steel studs for lack of a better description) from floor to cieling in the van. Cut the 2x8 the width of the van. Brace it against the rear of one of the studs on each side. Now you have a wooden plank across floor of van from side to side that you can bolt the chock to. That will prevent bike from moving fwd. Now strap it down to the same "studs" on the side of the van. The steel bracing will have holes in it. Hook the straps into the holes that are as low as possible.

I do this every time I put bikes in my van (15 or more times / yr)

I wouldent worry to much about driving a couple of screws into the wood floor of a rental cube van. I have done it a couple of times moving my tool box and never had an issue.

If you really don't want to do that, go and get a piece of 3/4" plywood and rip it down the middle. Double up the pieces and bolt your chock through them. You can lay this on the floor and it will hold your bike in place so you can get your straps on. Regardless of what you do, the straps are going to do almost all of the retention. I would use at least 4 good quality straps and make sure to recheck them every now and then.

Rent a van, not a cube truck. Cargo van has exposed frame, so you can attach the ratcheting straps to the holes safely. You don't need a choke. 4 straps plus canyon dancer are all you need to transport the bike perfectly safely.

Is the van white?
You need to try better if you want to be considered a troll. But yes, you know, it's better to have a white van in the summer since it reflects more sun light, so it's not that hot inside.

You need to try better if you want to be considered a troll. But yes, you know, it's better to have a white van in the summer since it reflects more sun light, so it's not that hot inside.

You fail to recognize my underlying concern at the border about bring back a motorcycle in a rental van.

You fail to recognize my underlying concern at the border about bring back a motorcycle in a rental van.

I also fail to see your sarcasm, but what I don't fail at is stay on topic. There is nothing wrong with bringing a bike over the border in a rental van if your paperwork is in order.

Bolt the chock in the diagram directly onto a piece of say 3/4" plywood that measures 2'x4 and lay it loose on the bed of the van. The weight of the bikes front end and wheel will secure it in place until you strap it down.

Use the straps on the lower triples and crank down, then strap down the rear. The bike will be secure, I've done it before on a rental trailer.

Bolt the chock in the diagram directly onto a piece of say 3/4" plywood that measures 2'x4 and lay it loose on the bed of the van. The weight of the bikes front end and wheel will secure it in place until you strap it down.

Use the straps on the lower triples and crank down, then strap down the rear. The bike will be secure, I've done it before on a rental trailer.

Even 4x8, if it will fit. That way the weight of the entire bike helps hold it down. Definitely still tie it down to points on the base/sides of the van.

not sure how far your going, mileage on cube vans just sucks, a regular van if the bike fits would maybe be better? You could bolt the chock to whatever wood you have, just use straps strategically placed as well, dont forget the one to stop a forward slide if you crack the brakes on.............took the cupholders out of a dodge van with a panic stop.

Back
Top Bottom