Transmission problem? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transmission problem?

ashkan

Banned
Hi folks, hows it going?
My bike has been acting weird for a couple of months now. half the time when i go from first to second gear, instead of shifter going to gear smoothly, the shifter makes a shaky rattle slappy move that i can feel on my left foot but it switches gear no problem. But today, i took off quickly from a stop (a few times) and twice on the second gear, as i was speeding up, the bike made this weird move. It felt like a kick inside the engine. It jerked and then it was fine. So basically as i opened the throttle in second gear, as my RPM was rising (around 14-15k), i felt a kick/jerk under my seat. Any clue what could be wrong?
Thanks

It sounds like your bike is popping out of second gear, either because you didn't engage the gear firmly and completely or for some mechanical reason on the bike. The shifter could be sticky, the shift fork could be bent or sticky or your second gear dogs may be worn. How old is the bike/how many miles? 600 or 250? Are you the only owner? Do you use the clutch to shift? Is your chain tension correct?

It sounds like your bike is popping out of second gear, either because you didn't engage the gear firmly and completely or for some mechanical reason on the bike. The shifter could be sticky, the shift fork could be bent or sticky or your second gear dogs may be worn. How old is the bike/how many miles? 600 or 250? Are you the only owner? Do you use the clutch to shift? Is your chain tension correct?
Hi Invictus, thanks for the reply.
Its a 2006 600 zx6r with 16000km. I am currently the only rider but i bough it from someone else so i dont know much about the history but it was fine (except for the slapping shifter when i put it in gear) up till now. The chain tension is correct.I always use clutch to shift. Is there any way to maybe narrow i down? Im trying to figure out if its a clutch problem or something else. Maybe to add to description, the kick hast a forward force to it. So it pushes the bike forward almost leaving me in my place. As i said, it doesnt happen often but yesterday it happened twice. Again, thanks for the reply.

It's not a clutch problem. Normally when the clutch wears (the only problem apart from broken teeth on clutch basket..), the engine will rev up but the bike won't accelerate accordingly. It's slipping.

When it pops out of gear, it will be accelerating normally, then it will rev up as if it's suddenly been put into neutral (which it is, albeit not intentionally), then it will suddenly bang back into gear again. It's very abrupt and kinda scary. It happens under hard acceleration more often than not. It could be a bent shift fork or worn shift drum not allowing it to go into gear fully, or it could be a detent spring not holding it in gear or it could be worn dogs. If you think it's popping out of gear, take it to a shop to check because it could be more expensive shortly if it happens too much. If you don't trust any shops, take it to Pro 6 and they'll give you an honest appraisal.

Sweet, ill get it fixed before the season is over. i dont want it sitting with a problem like this. Thanks again for your feedback. Much appreciated

google kawi 2nd gear issue - it's a hit and miss issue with kawi's it seems.

Back
Top Bottom