Transferring ownership | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transferring ownership

I am sure the topic has already been discussed, but I haven't found a clear answer yet, from searching threads online... If I want to buy a used motorcycle from a private seller, but I don't want to insure it or put it on the road right away, can I transfer the ownership only? Can I take possession of the bike, put it in the underground garage and deal with safety, insurance and plates six months later?

I am sure the topic has already been discussed, but I haven't found a clear answer yet, from searching threads online... If I want to buy a used motorcycle from a private seller, but I don't want to insure it or put it on the road right away, can I transfer the ownership only? Can I take possession of the bike, put it in the underground garage and deal with safety, insurance and plates six months later?
Yes

I just did the same thing. Wasn't ready to ride it yet so got the ownership flipped unplated/unfit.

You'll need to get a safety and insurance coverage once you're ready to plate it.

You can insure it without plating it. Change over the ownership as unfit, park it unground and insure it. If it’s gone, should be ok. Always consult with your agent or broker about coverages to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is really no benefit to insuring and plating it later, Unless you have zero dollars left after purchasing it lol. It will end up costing more most likely to get it safetied later. You’ll have to register it as unfit and then you won’t be able to get a temp permit to ride it to a shop for a safety cause now it’s unfit for road use. Motorcycle tows will probably cost you another hundred bucks. The easiest and cheapest way would be to have the seller safety it and drop it off to you. No surprise costs getting it safetied (tires, bearings, whatever) and you won’t have to worry about transporting it, assuming you don’t know how to transport it and have a tow hitch and a trailer

I always throw in a safety or at least take it to be safetied for the person who buys my bike. Easier for them and I always appreciate the goodwill when I am buying

There is really no benefit to insuring and plating it later, Unless you have zero dollars left after purchasing it lol. It will end up costing more most likely to get it safetied later. You’ll have to register it as unfit and then you won’t be able to get a temp permit to ride it to a shop for a safety cause now it’s unfit for road use. Motorcycle tows will probably cost you another hundred bucks. The easiest and cheapest way would be to have the seller safety it and drop it off to you. No surprise costs getting it safetied (tires, bearings, whatever) and you won’t have to worry about transporting it, assuming you don’t know how to transport it and have a tow hitch and a trailer

Unless the bike is a project or dirt cheap why not get a safety? While safety isn't a guarantee it is a strong indicator that it isn't a surprise write off six months down the road. Register as safe unplated. When you are ready to ride all you have to move around is a bit of paper.

Back
Top Bottom