Trailer talk with GVH | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailer talk with GVH

GVH

OK I'm trying to decide what too do for a better possibly beefer trailer or fix up the current one. Also wondering what is very else using. After loading a 2009 Shadow Spirit I found I couldn't close the tailgate. The Spirit was a bit to long. As you can see a fully dressed 2015 DL650 was ok with about 2 inches to spare. I have a Snow Bear 4x8 utility trailer with 530 x 12 tires. After measuring I found the trailer bed is actually 4.3 feet buy 7.8 feet. So after weeks of looking and finding over priced used junk the ideal trailer would be 4x9 that tilts for easy loading plus 3500 LB axle and 15 inch tires for highway towing. Any good welder fabricators on GTAmotorcycle. Give me an idea on welding costs or have built one and offer advice.

Thanks for reading

KOwmeYK.gif

extend the pivot point on the tailgate
so it's just over centre and pinnable a bit further back

could accommodate longer bikes without a major rework
or throwing it away

You pretty much just described a single or maybe double snowmobile trailer with over-sized wheels.

I think 15 inch rims are normally on a 5000 pound axle <- 5 bolt

Last edited:
I turned my 6 ft long into 7ft long
utility trailer, by cutting and fabricating the front side...
now I can load up to 3 bikes

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

How many Shadows do you plan on trailering. There are VERY few bikes that are as long as a Honda Shadow.

You do seem to do a lot of trailering/carting bikes around. Might be time for a box trailer.

How many Shadows do you plan on trailering. There are VERY few bikes that are as long as a Honda Shadow.

You do seem to do a lot of trailering/carting bikes around. Might be time for a box trailer.

My tow vehicle is a 2008 4 cyl ranger. No enclosed trailers for me. I want a 4x9 or possibly a 5x10 tilt as my ramp is only rated for 750 lb. I was looking at some HD bikes. Longer than my trailer and more weight than the ramps rated for.

I turned my 6 ft long into 7ft long
utility trailer, by cutting and fabricating the front side...
now I can load up to 3 bikes

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I’m considering extending the trailer to 9 feet. I need someone with better welding and fabrication knowledge than me. I also would replace the axle. Bring it out past the sides enough to fit 13 or 14 inch tires. Princessauto has 1750 lb posi-lube stub axles just need to round or square tubing welded and mounted.

I haul all sorts of stuff for family and friends being the only one with a truck and trailer.

2 axles hauls a lot nicer, way less prone to sway.
Full width axles are way easier to mount, none of that stuff is outrageous $.

Anyone here own a Stinger trailer? They fold up. Think they are made here in Ontario? Look interesting.

Stinger is very nice, well engineered and expensive. But it folds. And it only carries motorcycles.

GVH , I'd recommend selling your (not 8x4) for what you can get and putting that towards a 5x9 with better wheels. At $100 an hr for a welder and materials you get to the cost of a new trailer fast. Yes princess auto stuff is cheap enough if you can do your own fabrication.

A have seen one that they cut the front panel and V shaped it to allow 9ft in the center , that was cheap and cheerful.

I'll advise against just lenghtning, its only a trailer but somebody had a balance point/ tongue wieght in mind when it was made, reengineering doesnt always go well.

There is a trailer place< Can't recall the name right now on Hwy 35 just south of Lindsay. They have some VERY nice aluminum trailers. My friend a couple of years ago bought a new 5' X 9" from them , IIRC it was about $1500

Found some Stirling 5x10 units used for $900-$1100. Fine for bikes but no tilt flimsy gates. Looking at lowes 5x8 or 5.5x9 are Angle iron and mesh floors. Crap quality very heavy and not balanced well. Looking on kijiji I like the looks and price of this one.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cargo-utili...10/1402523564?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Need to replace 4 bolt axle, tires and LED light kit. About $450 from princessauto. Latter turn the wood sides solid.

$_59.JPG

Anyone here own a Stinger trailer? They fold up. Think they are made here in Ontario? Look interesting.

I haven't tried my used one yet, I had to get a couple of parts that were missing, but will do so in the Spring.

One thing that I did notice was that they sit very low to the ground.

GVH, that one in the photo is a terrible looking trailer.

That was my first thought too (especially as he was looking at getting into it for close to $1000). If nothing else, the lack of an A-frame on the tongue doesn't make my happy.

If it were me, I would look for a trailer that I was happy with unmodified. If I really couldn't find that, I'd consider starting from scratch, but I just don't see the half-rebuild idea being a great plan.

My tow vehicle is a 2008 4 cyl ranger. No enclosed trailers for me. I want a 4x9 or possibly a 5x10 tilt as my ramp is only rated for 750 lb. I was looking at some HD bikes. Longer than my trailer and more weight than the ramps rated for.

I know two separate people who both haul their race bikes to and from Grand Bend, with two bikes in each enclosed trailer (5x10 I think), and they're towing with 4 cylinder manual transmission 2 wheel drive Ford Rangers. The accelerator pedal is bolted to the floor, but they get the job done.

Friend of mine has one. She tows it behind a Honda Civic. The good: they fold up and take up next to no space when folded, they tow easily. The bad: they have no suspension whatsoever, they bounce around a lot when empty and they beat up tie downs when loaded because of that. It required some modifications in order to tow a sport bike. I don't recall what the issue was; it had something to do with how the front wheel of the bike was constrained.

I started looking for trailers in the spring and found that most used ones were garbage and big box ones were poorly made and had too low a payload. After looking at what two friends had purchased + made the rounds of local dealers (Miska, Action, Trailers Plus, etc....) ended up buying an all aluminum 10' x 6' unit with 2,990 lb payload, torsion axle, 15" wheels, folding ramp. Great trailer, pulls very well and no regrets. http://www.bremartrailers.com/index.html

I started looking for trailers in the spring and found that most used ones were garbage and big box ones were poorly made and had too low a payload. After looking at what two friends had purchased + made the rounds of local dealers (Miska, Action, Trailers Plus, etc....) ended up buying an all aluminum 10' x 6' unit with 2,990 lb payload, torsion axle, 15" wheels, folding ramp. Great trailer, pulls very well and no regrets. http://www.bremartrailers.com/index.html

That sounds like a good trailer that will accomplish what the OP is looking for (but maybe not at the price he was hoping for). What was the ballpark price?

Back
Top Bottom