Trailer heads-up | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailer heads-up

bobbyh

For any of you with enclosed trailers. Maybe sometime this weekend have a look at your roof. We're in the highway trailer business,and let me tell you,we've been cleaning roofs for days. Only a few inches of ice will de-arch your roof. Once that sag is there water will always collect and leaks will follow. Try and push off big slabs after you've smacked them with a big broom or flat side of a steel square shovel. Try and stand on a ladder or edge of the trailer if needed,but not in the middle of the roof. Also be careful of your nice LED lights so that they don't get swept away. Be careful and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

There are two types of people, those that clean the snow and ice off their vehicles... and a holes.

There are two types of people, those that clean the snow and ice off their vehicles... and a holes.
I agree with you about ice but snow doesn't hurt anything. If I don't have ice that's going to fly off and damage something I just clear the windshield, side windows, mirrors, turn signals, and drive. Although usually just a wiper swipe and rolling down both side windows will accomplish that. I still have more visibility than most cargo vans I've driven.

Bigger vehicles (trailers mainly) can dump enough snow to affect traction, as I once discovered. The temporary whiteouts are enough of a hazard. It's the same sort of laziness that has people pushing fallen leaves and snow (and other junk, believe me) onto the road. In other words, A holes, or in the case of those goofs who only clear tiny spaces on their windshields, A+ holes.

Fair enough. I've never owned a trailer but being behind cars I only ever had problems with ice. Snow hurts visibility maybe a bit off a car but not much. Even driving with 8" of snow on the hood doesn't cause a whiteout for me when I hit the highway and it's all gone within a couple seconds.

I really don't understand why people shovel snow into the street. My neighbors block all the street parking with snow piles and then complain that there are no spots. So I plow my car, worth twice as much as theirs, through the pile they made, pushing most of it back in front of their driveway, and wonder why they didn't just throw it in their yard.

Of course once the snow pile freezes you're not parking there unless you've got a raised SUV, a plow, or you get the shovel out unless you want to replace your bumper.

Last edited:
It's funny how after a few good winters we forget about how severe winter can get. Only slowly or by accident do get that ah-ha moment that takes us back. I posted the reminder for the members here so they would go out and have a look at their trailer. We see far more damage by ice when the unit just sits there. Sometimes out of site is out of mind and I wouldn't want you guys to get a nasty surprise when you open up the door in the spring. Or when you go to pick-up the new bike you buy this weekend.Cheers.

Fair enough. I've never owned a trailer but being behind cars I only ever had problems with ice. Snow hurts visibility maybe a bit off a car but not much. Even driving with 8" of snow on the hood doesn't cause a whiteout for me when I hit the highway and it's all gone within a couple seconds.

I frequently close my eyes for 5-10 seconds on a snowy highway at 120, and all that snow just blows into other cars, so it doesn't affect ME.

Back
Top Bottom