Track Days Safe? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Track Days Safe?

Overheated warped discs is one cause. I run these cast iron ones,View attachment 55380 they are awesome.
+1 on these puppies. Amazing breaking power and feel, wouldn't recommend them on street bikes though as they will rust if you ride in the rain a lot.

First time I went through the ripply bit of the Kink at TMP with these I thought something fell off my bike because of the rattle, pulled into the pits to check everything was OK 😆

Machine and gear need to be the best. But the major reason for serious (fatal) accidents on the track is Rider error. People do stupid things.
The only way to eliminate it, is to stay home.

Agreed, I took Fast Phase 1-3 and don't recall any slaloms through pylons. This was almost 20 years ago though, so things might have changed since then...
FAST has been known to use cones to create a chicane before FABI's turn one on the back straight - the chicane slows everyone down a little on the back straight.

FAST has been known to use cones to create a chicane before FABI's turn one on the back straight - the chicane slows everyone down a little on the back straight.
From memory the bikes throttles are modified and gearing is changed so people can not WOT and go crazy during the training. You could take turn one with the throttle at the throttle stop and zero braking on their bikes back when I did the course 10 yrs ago.

This might sound weird to a lot of people, but it's so very true. I'm an anxious person, but I have never felt more calm or relaxed than driving home after a full track day of pushing right to the edge of my personal limit, where there is real risk.
Trackdays are ZEN. You cant be anymore "present" than when you are leaned over negotiating a corner at 130 kmh

I went through FAST years ago and don't remember any cones except in the turns as markers. From what I remember it was mostly on track, no parking lot stuff. And the morning was class room followed by track walk. Have things changed that much since Mercier left?
No parking lot. Cones were on track. They were used for possibly two sessions. Something like 5 cones. I do not recall exact number.

Staff at Fast were excellent.

Roughly 5 cones in a row. You go through them like a slalom. They were on the straight of the Nelson track. Hope this helps.😊

That doesn't sound like any track day I've ever heard of. Are you talking about FAST, which is a riding school, not a track day organizer?

They took phase 1 at fast, learning to do TDs. Someone crashed on that day in an exercise and now wonders if TDs are safe since they saw this in a learning environment.

Motorcycles and TDs are completely safe. The human element makes them a risk. See 2nd post.

Back
Top Bottom