Tow and Impound Rates - Who sets them? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tow and Impound Rates - Who sets them?

justride

Who sets the tow and impound fee in Peel Region for driver/rider charged under the HTA 172?
What are the rates for both? How do you know if you being overcharged?

I thought they were flat rates decided by the local mafia (cough, I mean tow truck operators) and your friendly neigbourhood constabulary? I haven't seen the posted rates but it would be interesting to see how much they varied by municipality.

I emailed the OPP, MTO and the City of Mississaugato find out about tow and impound fees for drivers charged under the HTA 172.
I will definitely keep members updated.

update - emailed CAA also.
emailed the office of Caroline Mulroney - Ministry of Transportation

Last edited:
In many Municipalities tow operators must be licenses in order to hook up a tow for hire or impound. As a condition of license they must also file a tariff sheet that outlines rates and conditions for every item they can possibly bill for. That's where it ends.

Municipalities have the power to make them file tariff rates, but do not have the legal authority to enforce the rates. In the city of Markham, emergency tows are often billed at 2x the published rates AND tow operators are also able to add and bill for unrequired services such as dollies and waiting periods.

An emergency tow off the 407 could cost $550 for the hookup then $1km + the operators 407 fees to and from the call.

Got a response from the OPP
To summarize, the OPP does not set the rates. Municipalities set the rates for tows.

Ok, now I am waiting for reply from the City of Mississauga.
That's a canned response, the OPP know the rates, in fact there are several OPP officers under suspension and prosecution and a bunch more under investigation in the GTA. The ones I have heard about are from the 407 detachment, some on bikes.

Here's a copy from my buddy.

mkm3.jpg
The Bill. Note
* Hookup charged $300 vs $150 tariff
* Dollie charge $200 vs $150 tariff (no dollie used, dash cam trained on tow truck)
* Wait Time $100 (there was zero wait time, cop waited for 40 minutes for this tow truck, dismissed 3 others).
* Mileage $7.25/km vs $4 tariff for an extra $125 (also towed the car 22km to a remote yard, the yard where payment was made was approx 7.5KM)

mkm2.jpg
Rates files with City of Markham

mkm1.jpg
City of Markham response. They told him they have no means to enforce rates, had to go to Consumer Protection Agency.... who referred this 'type of matter' back to the City.

Wait Time $100 (there was zero wait time, cop waited for 40 minutes for this tow truck, dismissed 3 others).

Why were the other previous 3 tow truck dismissed ?

A response from the City of Mississauga

The City of Mississauga Tow Truck Licensing By-Law 0521-2004 does set some rates and charges, as does the Business Licensing By-Law 0001-2006, Section 27 for Vehicle Pound Facility licensing. In addition, Licensed Tow Truck Owners file rate sheets with Mobile Licensing listing their rates and charges.
Should you have concern regarding rates being charged you may file a complaint. Please email mobile.licensing@mississauga.ca with full details such as your contact information, the company and/or driver involved, the location date and time of the incident and any invoice provided.
Highway Traffic Act is Provincial Legislation and it not enforced by The City of Mississauga.
Regards
Mobile Licensing

A response from the City of Mississauga

The City of Mississauga Tow Truck Licensing By-Law 0521-2004 does set some rates and charges, as does the Business Licensing By-Law 0001-2006, Section 27 for Vehicle Pound Facility licensing. In addition, Licensed Tow Truck Owners file rate sheets with Mobile Licensing listing their rates and charges.
Should you have concern regarding rates being charged you may file a complaint. Please email mobile.licensing@mississauga.ca with full details such as your contact information, the company and/or driver involved, the location date and time of the incident and any invoice provided.
Highway Traffic Act is Provincial Legislation and it not enforced by The City of Mississauga.
Regards
Mobile Licensing
So similar to Markham. You have to file a sheet of paper full of pixies and unicorns but it looks like nobody enforces charging the filed rates.

Slight hijack but I was in the Elora area yesterday and picked up a copy of a local paper. In it was a report on a police stop in Fergus where two women were charged. One sounded like a substance issue but the other was charged with taking a vehicle without permission. It also states the vehicle is impounded for 45 days as per statute.

If the vehicle was taken without permission why is the owner hung out to dry for 45 days?

Slight hijack but I was in the Elora area yesterday and picked up a copy of a local paper. In it was a report on a police stop in Fergus where two women were charged. One sounded like a substance issue but the other was charged with taking a vehicle without permission. It also states the vehicle is impounded for 45 days as per statute.

If the vehicle was taken without permission why is the owner hung out to dry for 45 days?
Not sure of the circumstances, BUT, it could depend on how long the vehicle was "taken without permission" if quite some time ago could be an insurance payout has been made.

Also could be the reporter go things wrong. I am not aware, of anything under CCofC, (Criminal Code of Canada), BUT could be a local statue, (bylaw).

A 45 day tow is likely a breach of Criminal Code conditions not to operate a motor vehicle (disqualified from driving Canada Wide.) This usually stems from criminal code conviction for drinking and driving, dangerous driving, etc... Sadly a lot of times the owner allows the person to drive, and as per the provisions of the Criminal Code of Canada, police *shall* impound the car, which means the cops have no option but to impound it or else. This is also true for provinical DL suspension, police shall impound but that is usually a 7 day seizure.

Back
Top Bottom